Young Stroke Survivors Wanted!

Nice attitude. I like that. And yes indeed the crying is emotionality. Our brains havent yet joined up the various senses and thus reacts in a different way. I am male. I dont cry....well I do now !

The laughing is a less common emotionality. I have seen a couple of cases before. Not sure which is worse, the laughing or the crying. My crying has eased gradually over the months. I still havent dared to go to a funeral, but get by with most other events. And I can now watch any TV programs without tears.

Colin

Hi I had a stroke in2017 I was 29 hope your doing well

Hiya Steph, I'm doing ok learning to manage side effects and live as normally as possible. How are you doing ? 

I had a stroke on the 29-12-2019 my blood pressure was 210 I was took to Fairfield hospital in bury I stayed there 6 weeks and 4 days I have only just turn 40 years old I have been home now 3 weeks and 4 days I now look at life different my left side went on me. I very strong minded now I never give up 

Welcome to the forum Chaddy.

Your good attitude will help you with recovery. Most of us were fit before stroke. I guess we are the ones that survive. 

I hope you can get your left side to move over the next few months. Were you Ischemic or was it a bleed ?

It is such early days. recovery is so slow. Patience is necessary.

Ask anything, usually someone here  to reply.

Pleasing that you are able to write your post.

Keep smiling 

Drink loads of water

Be positive

Best wishes Colin

Haha, cheers, I'll check it out. And I've just realised how long it is since I last came on here!! Couldn't remember my password, lol

Hi I am 32 had a intra cerebral brain heamorhage 4 years ago ago week after giving birth. I work in the nhs and am scared to go out and to go to work. I dont have any underlying conditions so no letter from gp although get asked for flu jab. Any advice 

I think you know better than me, but if you are called to have a flu jab then you are vulnerable.

You had a stroke so you are vulnerable. I think that means you do indeed have underlying conditions.

Why are you concerned as to whether or not you have underlying conditions ? If you want to get back to your work then I am sure the HR department would bite your hand off to help you get back. 

If you need groceries then there are many areas of the UK that are gearing up volunteers to deliver. Or try your supermarket by emailing or ringing, explain your position briefly and ask if they will give you a home delivery. The supermarkets are getting back to sanity at a splendid fast rate. I got a ome delivery last week and apart from weetabix they provided everything I needed.Six substitutions but they were all sensible and I was chuffed at getting all that food.

Are you scared to go out because of the Corona stuff or were you scared long before that ?

Stroke does give us overwhelming issues and these can be eased.

If you can access it then counselling will help you a lot. Maybe you will have to wait until corona has died down. Or possibly there is some therapy online or by video link.

I am also four years post stroke. Last thursday I had an outpatients appointment at the hospital and I was terrified of the journey and the appointment. But it all went ever so well. Very little traffic, empty car parks and staff outnumbered us patients by perhaps 5 to 1. Now I am safely home, the terror has subsided.

Best wishes

Colin

Thank you colin for responding.

Yes I do get asked for flu jabs because I had a stroke. I have a visual field defect which I am coping ok with but I suffer from extreme tiredness fatigue after I get stressed or do too much work. If I push my body too much. I get headaches. All of which then takes me days to recover from the fatigue. Thing is because I am young I'm getting on with it people dont see me as someone who had a stroke. My doctors comment was oh your young you had it 4 years ago your not at risk. But I know my body does not have the coping ability it did before I had the stroke. My life has changed. 

Hello Shaz
I do sympathise with your situation and I can relate exactly with your feelings of extreme tiredness fatigue after getting stressed. I'm sure there are many stroke sufferers who get these feelings. I'm 4 years down the line after an haemorrhagic stroke which has left me with mobility issues and right side weakness and I still have the extreme tiredness. I am now 61 and retired and could not imagine being asked to go to work, and to have a family to look after. 
As Colin says can the HR department help you with their duty of care? Or a different work role? Unfortunately many doctors do not understand the ongoing effects of the brain injury. As you say, because you are getting on with life and have no obvious signs of injury you will be considered 'fit and not at risk'. 
You have my support as you understand how your body and brain feel and the physical effects you continue to suffer. Relaxation and mental wellbeing is helpful, if you can access any of these services. I continue to hope my injuries will slowly (in years) improve and I hope you too continue to make progress. You are not the same person and there are things which you will do differently. Try and accept what is new/different and together with the old bits of Shaz you will find the best way to keep moving forward. Good luck with work, I feel I haven't been able to offer much help there.

Dear Shaz

I too have  quite disabling fatigue. In essence I get 3 to 6 hours of activity a day. And I have to make that acitivity in sessions of 45 minutes. Workplace is out the question. But I am retired anyway !

Others do not understand stroke. Not at all. But perhaps this horrid corona might just balance things up. The world has changed and it is not going to be changing back. The old world has gone, there will be a new world later. And thats exactly what a stroke is like. We change the minute the stroke attacks us. We do not go back to our old selves. The old me has finished but there is a new me coming along. I ban the use of the word normal. And "get better".

I will however tell you something that has happened over the past six months. I began to think the fatigue had two faces. Gradual at first, but by January this was extreme. Long story short...amajor issue is that I have a heart valve that is failing. So I dont get enough oxygen. Which is the extra form of fatigue. Sorting out SF from heart dusease is fun and games. But the thing is that, it isnt all about the stroke when I assumed it is.

Best wishes

Colin

Thank you for taking the time to reply and your kind words my gp has now said I am at risk and has given me a letter to isolate for 12 weeks feel a sense of relief now my work cant force me to go back.

Thank you for your support colin knowing that I am not alone makes me feel better. My gp has now given me a letter that I am at risk and to isolate for 12 weeks.

Interesting. Your GP told you. 

I am in to week 3 of our 12 week isolation and its fine for us. We have a garden. We have Sainsbury home deliveries (because we are old and decrepit). We have a good neighbour. We have a cat. Our bungalow is ideal for the less well, big enough for me and the Mrs to keep apart for a few hours (thats very important). And finally I have purchased an apple i pad so that gives me lots to do !

It is important to have something to identify a couple of days. We have a roast on Sunday and we also always have a lazy day, reading the newspaper and not much else. And each thursday I get my car out the garage, pump up the tyres and charge the battery. It adds structure. I also have a "to do"list.

And of course tonight we stand outside the front door clapping and shining torches.

Colin

Hi,

I'm 46 and had a stroke 6 months ago. I feel very lucky as I only lost my left side for 3 months. Most of the feeling has come back now. I do get a little confused with words sometimes but tend to just laugh it off!

I even managed the 5k resolution run ( more of a slow jog) in March!

I feel like I've lost my identity at the moment, confidence took a beating but I'm trying to find ME again!!

Reading these posts really helps, reminds me I'm not alone!

stay strong and stay safe x

Hi all, 

I'm Holly, I turned 35 last week. On the 18th April, six weeks after giving birth to my son I had a stroke. 
I feel covids really affected my treatment, as I was breastfeeding the hospital admitted me for three days, but because of my son being so young sent me home.. 

I'm constantly anxious and the GP hasn't really offered be much advice..I'm scared it might happen again... 

Hi Sue, I had a stroke 6 years ago...I live in Tonbridge (at the moment) I'm losing confidence. After stroke, aphasia and to write (google translate). Stroke 50, I'm now 56. 

link to the website, not working. Where is the local meeting Kent?

Dear Hollybee

please read the diagnosis on your copy of the hospitals letter to your gp. If it contains the magical word "transient" then be assured your recovery is going to be quick and complete.

if not, then you are in the right forum to receive suggestions, guidance and sympathy.

Our brains do not like stroke. So it will be determined to avoid another one. One way it does this is to scare you so that you avoid another one. So most of us get an irational fear of another stroke. You are no doubt now taking medication, trying to rest, and trying to relax. So the chances of a second stroke are low.

The follow up support for stroke is generally a disgrace. We are the cinderella illness. But there is some help. And the recovery is in any case slow. Now we have corona the support has gone even worse. 
in the meantime, if you want info then read the stroke associatin leaflets. They are very good and explain a lot.

In the meantime, please let your amazing brain recover. Ensure you keep hydrated. Get as much rest and sleep as you can. I have children so i know this is asking a lot, but you need the rest whilst the brain recovers

best wishes

colin

Hi, I attend the Different  Strokes  London South East  group in Bexleyheath, Kent.  If you can get on to the Website, they may have a group nearer to you. Alternatively  you could call them on

0345 1307172 or 01908317618 or email: info@differentstrokes.co.uk

Good luck

Regards Sue 

Hi Holly,

I'm 44 and had my stroke 15 months ago. I had very little support once I was out of hospital. Be demanding with your GP to get the help you need. I organised my own physio and took up Nordic Walking to strengthen my left leg, and did lots of 2 handed crafting to strengthen and build dexterity in my left arm. I get words wrong sometimes (as a lecturer that can be tricky), but got me fatigue was the real problem. Listen to your body, nap if you need to, and make sure everyone around you knows about anything they can't see. I got referred to the local neuro rehab team and they were really helpful, but sessions stopped due to COVID. I also soubght our counselling to try and come to terms with it all. The SA website really helped me, and although I've only joined this group last week it's been really great to be part of.

Jo