Young Stroke Survivors Wanted!

Hi, I’m 37 and had a stroke 9 months ago, I live in Cheshire. I find the same, not a lot of support out there 

I’m 57, 49 when I had my stroke, agree not much support at all, especially for the younger stroke survivor 

Hi I’m Wendy, I had a stroke 8 years ago aged 49, it’s all my cognitive functions affected, confidence took a huge dive, then I lost my husband in Nov 16, I felt I was back to the beginning, it’s been a hard struggle, but I’m obstinate and won’t give up, I’m beginning to live my life again, 

Thank you for sharing your story - that's a huge amount of emotional trauma to cope with, thank goodness for your fighting spirit.  You are inspirational, and I wish you lots of happiness for the future.

Take good care xx

Thank you, it’s been hard, but I’m made of strong stuff

Hi everyone I'm 31, I had my stroke when I was 22, respect to everyone going through stroke, especially young ones ?

HI!  I'm 42 and had a stroke in early December.  I'm in Shropshire and struggling with feelings now mainly.

Hi everyone 

I feel quite old (59) reading all of your posts ? but hope I can offer some help.

www. different strokes.co.uk

is a UK charity set up to help younger stroke survivors. They are based in Milton Keynes. I live in Kent and attend a weekly support group locally to me, which I have found very helpful.

Hope this is useful

Regards Sue

Hello everyone. My name is Michelle and I'm 40. I had my stroke just over 5 months ago and have learned to survive well. Positive thinking and determination!!! I'm in Scotland. 

Have to agree, I had my stroke November 2018, aged 41, I live in Middleton,  so roughly the same area as you Donna, and I have not managed to find any support groups anywhere nearby. I have also never been offered any recovery support from hospital 

Hi Cordy - I’m older than you (60 when I had my stroke) but I know there are support groups that cover Oldham and Rochdale (including Middleton). Let me find out some more and get back to you. 

Hi Cordy - this is the group that covers Middleton. Hope it helps you.

Should you need the link, here it is. https://www.stroke.org.uk/finding-support/clubs-and-groups/pennine-stroke-support-group

"The Pennine Stroke Support Group is a Stroke Association voluntary group

It offers support to its members and activities which include, speakers, outings & meals, games and quizzes.

Service type: 

Voluntary Group (Social and peer support groups run by Stroke Association volunteers as part of the Stroke Association)

Activity type: 

Support

Castleton Community Centre

Manchester Road

ROCHDALE

Lancashire

OL11 3AF

Map×Close

Meetup

Day: Monday (Fortnightly)

Time: 10:00 to 12:00

We meet on the first and third Monday of the month.

Contact

Christine Pitt Chris-48@hotmail.co.uk 07747 634399"

Im from Shropshire i am 52 and had my stroke 8 weeks ago. How are you getting on?

Hi my name is Jason, age 47. had a stroke last week, going through a lot of emotions at the moment and get worried at every tingle or different sensation

Hi Jason, so sorry to hear that you have suffered a stroke - you are so young, but stroke can strike at any age.  It is completely normal that you will experience fear of another stroke.  All the stroke survivors on this site have had those feelings, and they will gradually subside over time.  You have a lot to think about at the moment, but the most important thing is to recognise that your brain has suffered an injury and will need rest and patience to make a recovery.  

Lots of wonderful people on this site will offer you good advice and support, but I just wanted to let you know that your post had been spotted and people are thinking of you.  

Take good care, and give yourself plenty of rest.  xx

Thank you, I've not managed to find any myself 

Dear Jason

Sorry to learn of the stroke, but welcome to the forum.

Emotionality is very common post stroke. It does fade .

Fear of another stroke is your brain telling you that it didnt like the first one, so please run away.

For the first month you will need endless rest. Dont fight it, take the rest. In between resting, move every digit and every muscle.

Drink loads of water. Your brain is going berserk mending itself and it will easily overheat. Your brain doesnt feel pain, so it wont tell you it needs water.

Do get hold of your diagnosis, when you left hospital, and keep it safe for future use.

Best medicine of all is smiling. It fools your brain into making everything good.

Think about all the things you can do and dont dwell on any bits of you that are not yet working.

Lots of us will share our experiences, just ask.

Best wishes

Colin

Hi  Jason, My friends have already given you excellent advice. All of us here can identify your emotional turmoil. As the others have said, it will fade. Please remember stroke is a brain injury and not an illness. There is no magic cure, so stay positive and take things step by step. Rest when you need to and, when you feel able, start to utilise your weak hand and leg. A lot now depends on you, so stay positive. Don't brood over the person you were, just remember to be the person you are now. You are in the earliest stage of recovery, but things will get better.

Hi again Cordy. I posted a reply about a month ago with some information for you. Due to my ineptitude or the way this forum works (take your pick!) it looks like I posted it in reply to Donna. If you look on the original thread my post is there. I’ll try to copy and repost it so you can see it more easily.

Hi I was 36 when I had my stroke in 2017, to all stroke survivors rebuilding after such a life changing event, you are not alone, and every day you are rebuilding and moving forward which is progression, we can do this.