New to this group

I presume you can not visit. So just be there for him, once a day on the phone.

Thats good if he gets more "physio".

Plenty of us ! Just keep steady and dont get overwhelmed. Sleep is indeed a key. And naps in the day if you fancy it. I would always make a precise list of what shopping I needed and which shops to go to. And even which section of each shop if approriate.

Colin

Yes unfortunately i cant visit him because of virus. Hopefully soon i will. It will be easier to communicate. And yes i will talk with him, maybe not every day just to let him rest but i will.

I appreciate all information what you gave me. Its helpful to chat with somebody who can understand and give advise it difficult situations?

Hi Raminta, how about sending emojis if he can use a phone.  It's less effort than having to talk.  I used emojis with my husband once he could use his phone again.  It was a reassuring way to keep in touch, and didn't need too much effort for him.

Sending you good wishes, stay strong things will improve ? 

Thank you?it's good idea but he dont have his phone im calling to hospital one. I know that it is possible to send him letter by post. Maybie i will do that later because soon they will transfer him for 1level rehabilitation. But not sure or he will understand or he will be able to read.

Im glad to have chat with you. Really appreciate that. Its help to understand more everything ??

It's such a horrible situation - confusing and scary.  You will feel much better once you have proper contact.  Try not to 'overload' your brother once you get to see him!  It's only natural that you will want to have a conversation, and asks questions etc, but he may be overwhelmed and need time to process everything.  It's a slow process, so be prepared for that.  I have kept a diary of events since my husband's stroke in 2017 - just little notes and memos to remind us how far he has travelled in his recovery.  

Keep strong xx

It's true-horrible,confusing and scary situation.But it will make me even stronger and i feel that.Specialy when talking with mum. She is very sad and i have to be positive.

Today i was talking with brother second time.He was swearing and i start laughting so much and he as well :D i hope so he didnt swear on me laugh Its cheer me upangel

And i realise after my conversation with brother i forgot what words he is able to say...Its probably because im in stress.So next time i will try to write in notebook.

Take care and best wishes to your husband x

Janetb   Thank you   I  am  now understanding more  that it is a symptom  of a stroke  I  now more sensible  when tired  and rest accordingly

Sorry havent checked my messages.Ill try your advice.Thank you.

All the time. I'm a university lecturer, which means it can make my lectures entertaining! I try and tell people it's due to a stroke... not easy when out shopping though. It is definitely worse when I'm tired, but I feel it is improving with time.

Jo

Hello, I am new here too. I had a stroke in April 2020 and having fatigue since. When I will be coming back to work on phased return because of fatigue. That mean my hours and my wage per week will drop. 

I am single mom and so I am the one who is paying for rent and bills. As my income low I am getting Universal credit to help me to pay for my rent (housing benefit) part of UC. 

My question if my hours drop what will happen to Universal credit?  

Hi Vanessa. My name is Larysa and I had a stroke while working too. I work at hospital as Health care assistant. My speech is ok but I have fatigue. 
Could I ask you if you come back to work yet and how are you feeling at work now?

If you have permanent impairments look into claiming PIP which is intended to help with the extra costs of disability.

You are clearly having a very tough time - life is tough when you are recovering from stroke, so it is a double whammy.  You are very early days in terms of recovery.  In these early months your brain needs lots of rest to allow it to rewire and to recover from the damage that has been caused.  If you can give yourself time to rest, this will help.  Not sure how old your children are, maybe they can help in some way, so that there is less for you to do?  

The stroke association should be able to help you with aspects of UC/PIP etc 

Take good care xx

Hi Esme, be strong. I live with my daughter who is 18 years old and student. My mom lives abroad and never come here as feel fear of flying. My daughter is always out with friends, so I am alone too. Try to keep yourself busy, talk to friends, that helps. 

Thank you for your answer NicABella, my daughter is 18 years old, she is student and can't help me financially. 
I called to Stroke Assotiation they say don't know anything about UC, never say anything about PIP. 
They said call CItizen advice buro. 
What is PIP? 
Am I eligible if I don't have disability just fatigue, that prevents me work normal hours? 

Thank you for your reply Janetb. What is permanent impairments? 
Is fatigue permanent impairment? 
many thanks 

Hi Lora,

Just answering your Universal Credit query.

I'm no benefits expert but lost my job before the Coronavirus pandemic began. I worked full time 40 hours per week before that.

Universal credit deduct 63 pence from the amount they pay you for every £1 you earn, leaving you 37 pence better off for every pound that you earn. If your hours and pay reduce, your Universal credit payments will increase but you will be 37 pence worse off for every £1 less pay you receive. If you qualify for PIP, you may be better off overall.

Damian

Disappointing that the S.A. aren't able to  be more helpful ☹️, I would have thought they could at least signpost some suggestions for you.  I think you can apply for PIP (Can't remember what that stands for), if your condition prevents you from working.  I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but I don't know about what is available in terms of financial support. There will probably be people on this site who can guide you on the best route to take. Very good luck xx

PIP is personal independence payment. Before stroke I would have been able to offer a comprehensive reply, but that bit of my brain has gone. I do know that PIP is generally refused and you need to have another go or three. Age concern will help with th form filling or citizend advive bureu.

Colin