When will the tiredness end?

Hi I’m currently 7 months post stroke and have recently returned to work, I thought things would get easier but the tiredness is overwhelming, it seems to be getting g worse no matter how much I rest, I just want to get back to my old self!!! Am I being impatient or should I’ve trying harder???

That’s a natural response. 8 months is early days yet. You will get good days and bad.
I’ve done next to nothing physical today. It’s all been diagnosing electrical problems (ecu)
And I had a bath about 17:00 and went straight to bed as I was shattered (where I’m now typing this)

A couple of weeks ago I rode my motorcycle for 180 miles, and I wasn’t as tired as I am today

Be 2years post stroke on the 11th

@Lynne71 welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you’ve had a stroke. It is still very early days in stroke terms yet & you’ve done well getting back to work. Fatigue is normal & you will no doubt have good & bad fatigue days. Are you working full time? Returning to work is likely to make your fatigue worse in the short term. Your brain is still recovering. Listen yo your body, don’t push yourself too hard & rest when you need to. Patience seems to be the key for us stroke survivors.take care xx

1 Like

Thanks guys, it’s nice to know I’m not on my own, I work 28 hrs a week and have been on graduated return, I just thought after a couple of weeks I would have been back to normal, I’m waiting for an appointment with our occupational health team regarding staying on reduced hours for the time being as I’m having to use annual leave to keep my hours to a minimum thst ican manage x

Hi Lynne , 3 years in July, cerebellar stroke. FATIGUE important to state, FOR ME , Absolutely no improvement. ( everyone says, don’t compare, but difficult, not to ) every day , back to bed , 3 hours & still at night 8 hours. Yesterday 5oo yards with rollator, to café, bacon sarnie, coffee. With my wife, very simple to please, nowadays! Loved it .:grin: . Today hardly managed to get out of bed . Very conscious & accept, extra fatigue, compared to almost becoming house bound. Many on here bounce back quickly, think, just me . Again really don’t compare , like I used to , just pointless. Good speaking David.

1 Like

@Lynne71 I hope your employers agree to you staying on reduced hours for now. It doesn’t seem right that you’re having to use annual leave so that you can work reduced hours.

Lynne I am six years post stroke and still get fatigued every day at noon. If I have to be on the go all day, I can get through the fatigue barrier but if I’m home I nap. I also rest between tasks. Mind you I am nearly 79. Best wishes.

Hi @Lynne71 , welcome to the forum & sorry about your stroke.
It is a year (today actually) since my stroke and I have built up to 4 days a week back at work. I am finding it very difficult to cope with the fatigue but do get a lot of satisfaction from working (as it feels like I’m closer to the old me).
I am in talks with work to maybe reduce my hours a bit more, at least for a while. Hopefully things will improve in time but we don’t have any guarantees.
Everyone is different but there are many on here with several years post stroke who are still struggling with fatigue.
Let’s hope things improve but you need to listen to your body and rest of you need to (when appropriate!).
Good luck.
Mark

Shwmae @Lynne71, neurological fatigue is a hard nut to crack. It’s important not to overdo it otherwise you’ll get into a boom-bust cycle. The damaged brain relies on preconceived experience in order for it to manage arbitrary interruptions, or unexpected change, so it can operate on low energy. After stroke, the brain can’t rely on those preconceived experiences because it is experiencing them again afresh (if that makes sense). So, it uses more energy for everything, thus drains faster. One little technique that has been working quite well for me is running through my mind and imagining what I am going to be doing, this allows the brain to have some preconceived notions of the forthcoming task or event. It has worked for me, but every stroke incident is different for each brain that is affected by it.

I must also add that “rest” in the general sense of the word is not rest for the brain. Sleeping is repair but it isn’t necessarily brain rest either as repair takes neurological energy. The brain needs to empty itself of action and then reset. Things like meditation, mindfulness, and for me any “mindless” activity like sawing wood and cutting up kindling does wonders. Maybe even fidget-spinners might help. Or five minutes zoning out to some peaceful sounds. The brain has to kick into subconscious mode before it can stop the gears from whirring around with conscious activity. That is what is using the most energy. In fact, they did a study concerning artists and the state of dreaming, and concluded that both activities draw upon the same subconscious state. So, maybe even doodling.

1 Like

John Jeff Maynard – I saw your post about getting fatigued every day at noon. Funny how it’s the same time every day. It hits me every day at 10 am. Why 10 am? I’ve only been up for 3 or 4 hours. I have to rest, do quiet things, lunch, rest again. Then, I perk up around 4 in the afternoon. Go figure. Jeanne

I’m very new to this forum but so far I can’t praise it highly enough, for months I’ve thought I was the only person in the world feeling the way I do, I feel so much more reassured that there are other people out there going through the same things as me…… Thankyou to everyone who has responded to my original message…… you’ve made me feel included again!!! X lynne x

3 Likes

Jeanne. Snap! I get up at 7.30 and my brain fog starts by 11. After my nap I get up at 1pm and can last till 11pm….ten hours. I can’t work it out.

Hi Lynne
I now understand fully how fatigue feels. I had my stroke 3 months ago I have been looking for work as my previous job ended in December 2021 due to an office closure. I started my new job with ACAS on Monday 6th June -I had to give notice yesterday 8th June due to the debilitating fatigue. my journey to work involved a 25 minute walk, a 20 minute bus journey, a 25 minute train journey and finally a 20 minute walk to the office. Obviously there was then the return journey. I felt so weak and fatigued it was horrible.Today I am taking things really easy. I only took the job as I in the advert it said you could work from home and in the interview I was asked if I wanted home working - they said some just came in once a month. I said I would probably come in once a week. When I asked about home working on my 2nd day my manager arranged a Teams meeting with the head of the section. I was advised home working wasn’t an option as all Civil Servants were to be instructed to come back into the office full time. so no allowance was to be made for me -so much for the 2010 Equalities Act. This attitude has depressed me and I don’t know how I will cope with a full-time job - which I need as I am single and have all my bills to pay

@rebecca74hall47 I am shocked to read your story. I can’t believe that ACAS, of all employers, have done that. Not abiding by the advice they give to many people & organisations. Shocking.
I am a civil servant & yes the Government have said all civil servants should return to offices but there are many that haven’t & those that have are probably doing a mix of home & office working. I’m not yet back at work but when I do go back I am expecting to do a mix of home & office working. It’s a reasonable adjustment as it should be for you. I was reading something yesterday that said adjustments should be made for staff on probation too. If I find the article I’ll.post the link for you. Cant find it at the minute & just off to Dr’s.
I’m really sorry this has happened to you. They made promises at recruitment stages that they haven’t kept. Shocking. I think you should complain to HR and possibly further if you need to.
I really feel for you. Sending hugs xxxx

That sounds like bad management - if they promised someone a job working from home they need to honour that promise whatever pressures they are being put under

1 Like

@rebecca74hall47 ive found the link I mentioned above. Has taken me all morning to remember what I was looking at which had the link in it :joy:

Hope it works and is some use.

1 Like

Hi Lynne
I had my stroke in October 2021 so I’m roughly 8 months in. I have been on a phased return to work since the end of April. My occupational health gave me 6 weeks phased return which I thought was ambitious at the time. It turns out that I was right. I had an honest conversation with my manager and although physically I feel ok, I told him that mentally I was exhausted after a days work. He was very supportive and agreed that I take as long as I need.
I’ve learnt that it is natural to experience fatigue and to not fight it or battle through it. Listen to what your body is telling you and do not to feel guilty about doing nothing ( I was a busy bee so sitting still has proved a challenge). Recovery is a long haul.

Best wishes
Stuart

1 Like

Wow! I’m so glad to hear I’tm not the only one with a weird stroke brain. :heart: :slightly_smiling_face: Jeanne

Mrs5K thank you for your reply. sorry for not getting back to you sooner but been recovering. feeling a lot better now .but going to take my time. Thank you for looking for the link so kind. take care x

1 Like

Hello Loshy
I too was shocked as I have a friend who is a civil servant who has a heart condition he is considered a home worker because of his condition.I am going to look into the legal side of things. Until my job came to an end in December 2021 with the closure of the office I helped people who came under the 2010 Equalities Act I made sure they had the same access to the system as anyone else, I wanted the best customer service for them. Everyone whatever their situation should be treated with respect and given any help they need. Again thank you for your support

1 Like