The first month

January 2023
Doing my daily routine of walking around and squat to stands, hoping to get on my exercise bike later now the pedal is fixed, if a month is a short span of time to measure changes I can honestly say it is the same as before Christmas so mot long enough and no major break th, waiting for new pain relief if and when the doctor can write a prescription

1 Like

Will be chasing them at the end of the week , in the meantime pushed myself to a 2.6 mile ride on the bike, had better left leg control so , there is my improvement thank god not much but I’m going to take what I can., love you all

2 Likes

@mrfrederickson you are doing well. Improvements sometimes take a while to show & hopefully when you look back youll be able to say oh yes I could only do this 12 months ago & now I can do that. Sometimes it takes others to remind you how far you’ve come.

You are doing really well with your bike & great that your leg control has improved. I bet its building up lots of stamina too.

Keep going. We’re all rooting for you. X

Thanks for the encouragement, reflections at my stroke anniversary helps me gauge my recovery, certainly better than a year ago, so progress is happening but patience is not my best quality

3 Likes

Thanks Lorraine,
Moving forward albeit slowly and even if I have plateaus or reversals, keep goin to get to my goal of fluid walking outside my home and independently walking, more my old self

1 Like

That sounds like progress to me and all others on here . Great work indeed.

One of my 2023 goals is better quality and then higher quantity walking. Anywhere and everywhere.

Keep going and i hear you loud and clear with rwfsrd to patience…wirh you 100% on that

Take good care

Andy

1 Like

Agreed will get back in my box and keep on pushing my reluctant body to heal itself

2 Likes

squat to stand gets very hard very quickly. my physio used to ask for 10 with the last one held1/2 way for several seconds!

Thanks yes the people who see me infrequently notice the change in me, I guess I’m wishful my time away not good need to get pain under control and push on to do more

1 Like

Pre stroke I did squat lifting with a 16kg kettlebell, was very fit, now useless cannot walk far and cannot lift my arm, really sad

Couldn’t liftmy arm for the 1st year. Can get it above my head now.
My approach is ALWAYS push against the liminal capability. Rate of progress is increasing in some ways but finger are still a challenge yet to be improved on

I couldn’t do a kettle bell!

2 Likes

Thanks for your input great progress I hope to emulate your achievement, the arm gets passive movement daily on extension and rotation plus pulse vibration stimulation in the evening

2 Likes

I long to stretch both my arms over my head. Serving in tennis requires both hands, arms etc so i need my left upper limb to wake up to reach my ultimate goal of playing tennis again.
Im encouraged by the progress that im reading on the forum and will strive patiently and positively to get there.

Keep going everyone - things will change for the better…

Cheers
Andy

1 Like

Great goal you will get ther, I was a keen pS4 gamer when the stroke hit so both arms are needed to play, the hope is there and many inspirational people on this forum are shining the light of hope.
Any attempt to use my left arm ends in a tight contracted limb and my left leg pumping or twitching,

Good luck everyone.

1 Like

@TRFCANDY53 i wasn’t able to lift my left arm above my head post stroke. I was given a shoulder pulley by a friend to try. Not sure whether I should have or not but I can now lift my arm above my head - not quite straight yet but much better than it was :grin::grin: coukd be worth a try but maybe check with physio first.

2 Likes

I’ve heard people say that an exercise bike for the arms is a good aid
It’s my hand that I have a challenge with - both worst and fingers, especially 2nd and 3rd fingers - they don’t move on demand :frowning:
Anybody any tips?

1 Like

Just to say my physio has given me some guidelines for exercise and for the bike in particular.
Up to now I have been pushing myself big time. The fastest I could do a 1/4 mile sprint, fastest I could do 1.5 miles and the furthest I could go in 15 mins.

The physio has suggested to me that with the bike that reduced intensity but every single day will help with the peaks and troughs and smooth out the good/bad days. Up to now, on a good day I tried to do much more to make up for not doing much on a bad day. Feel ok so why not go for it. The physio is suggesting this is preserving the good bad day events and I need to resist pushing things, just go for 80% of my capability.

So now I just do 10 mins every day. Not flat out or chasing the longest distance.

It’s early days and it seems the most natural thing in the world to set a distance and try to beat it and it’s hard not to do that. time will tell I guess if this works

2 Likes

Hi Simon…not strictly the hands
I have found of late that having my arms in one position on the bike wasn’t a good thing. Now I move every 30 seconds, got a couple of places on the handle bars, by my side, round the back of my seat and lastly on my head. Makes quite a difference to my cycling.
Do you have sensation in the fingers ? My physio this week has suggested visualising successfully doing something before I do the task I am struggling with. Apparently this is common in sport.

3 Likes

Just a thought, if you were to take your good arm out of the equation, hand in a pocket or inside a top, could you do a task which forces you to use those unresponsive fingers ? Ie can’t do it any other way like flicking over something.
Could that encourage movement ?

2 Likes

I don’t know if this will help you but i used my affected hand to put pegs on & take them off tte side of a tub. Initially i had pegs flying everywhere but eventually i was able to line them up neatly. I still had a small amount of movement in my arm / hand following my stroke.

2 Likes