Continuing the discussion from About the Share your story category:

Hi all, newbie here. Had a stroke 3 weeks ago. Im 49 was a normal day a normal week, was doing the weekly food shop then got the pins and needles on my right side. Managed to get home then the right side of my face went. Was absolutely terrifying. Once in hospital it took them 3 days before i had a scan, was surrounded by old people and felt like no one would take me seriously. After 6 days i regained strength in my right leg and discovered a determination i never knew i had to get out of there. 2 weeks later i was transferred to a community hospital who made it very obvious that they didn’t want me there either as i wasnt sick enough. I could walk yes, but only to the loo and my right hand could move but not grip.
I was in the community hospital for 24hrs, before they sent me home.
So now im home with my partner who works from home and my mum has come to stay to help. No one has been in touch about physio and what the next steps are.
Ive again been left to just get on with it.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated

3 Likes

Hi @emmahopkins74

Welcome to the forum but sorry you have had reason to join us :frowning:

Not much comfort for you I’m sure but your story doesn’t surprise those of us who’ve been here for a while but you can take some comfort in the fact that those of us who have been here for some time generally see improvements in our condition with or without the help of the NHS.

You’ll find the Welcome - what we wish we'd heard at the start has information that we have collectively collated because we often repeat it

You’ll find a bunch here a friendly and knowledgeable lot who will be happy to answer questions share your angst and your victories

Your best bet as the welcome post says is to read widely and then use the magnifying glass at the top of the page to find the topics that you need information on

Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

@emmahopkins74 Hi & welcome to the forum
Sorry you’ve had cause to join us but you’ll hopefully find it a useful place to be.

I was 49 when i had my stroke too & like you was the youngest in the ward. I have to say you are probably better off at home as you can do things at your own pace & at a time that suits you.

When you were discharged from the hospital did they say what follow ups you could expect? Mine was detailed on my discharge letter. If they’ve not said anything I would suggest seeing your GP and asking them to follow it all up for you. When i was discharged I had home physio for 6 weeks as an example. You also need to know what tests they’re going to do to find tye cause of your stroke - unless that’s already been done.

I’m pleased you have some support around you. Don’t underestimate how tired you might get in the early stages.

Best wishes.

Ann

2 Likes

Hi Ann, i was discharged at the weekend and told me to expect my discharge letter in the coming days. A week on and nothing.

1 Like

I was given my discharge letter on discharge. If you don’t have it in the next week I would chase it up. Hospital letters can take a few weeks to arrive.

1 Like

Hi @emmahopkins74

Your story was very similar to mine, apart from the appalling service you describe from the NHS! I was just sitting in the chair and got pins and needles in the right side of my scalp and face which I thought was weird. A week before, I had a similar experience in Boots in town, but it was the entire right side of my body. I didn’t think much of it at the time, but now think that was the stroke.
I’ve been very lucky and have been left with no physical symptoms, just some psychological ones. I don’t kow how it’s left your motivation, but you just have to keep chasing the NHS. We all know the NHS is under great pressure and you may have been forgotten, so if you can keep chasing them. I’m joining a stroke group soon, and suggest it’s something you might like to do too, if you are able. You might find out there, from the others, what services are available from others, then you or a family member could chase the NHS to give you the service you need. My stepdaughter works in quality control in the NHS and they are doing a review on the services offered by the NHS post-stroke. So far, she’s found it sadly lacking.

I do wish you luck on your journey. For me, my wife called 999 who came quickly and took me to hospital. I was in there a few days waiting for a scan which confirmed a thalamic stroke. Now I take Clopidogrel, and if I cut myself, it bleeds really well, looking much worse than it is, but does heal. Quite slowly, but it gets there.

Cheers

Steve

2 Likes

Getr yourself a copy of a book called Had a stroke? What now? by Tom Balchin. It’ll help understand what’s happened and what to expect.

1 Like

Hi @pamelai1
I know Tom’s books :slight_smile: or maybe you meant to reply to the thread/ OP and not specifically to me?

Hope yr good :slight_smile:

Ciao
Simon

1 Like