Hi Judy , been sitting in sunshine, but back to bed for daily rest.Both a year, life feels so strange. Good to speak with you. David .

Mobility scooter / Luggie  

Thinking it is time for small  folding scooter ,Luggie seem popular  ,but expensive ,therefore poss second hand .Any thoughts or advise, much appreciated. 

THANKS DAVID.

Hi David,

I'm 3years post stroke, We recently  purchased a Luggie mobility  scooter  and would highly recommend.  Easy to use with one arm. My husband does the folding up and putting  into the car. 

We went abroad  last year, for the first time since my stroke in Feb 17.  We decided on the Luggie because  you can take it on a plane or Cruise  ship. We purchased a secondhand  model as new they are quite expensive and purchased a bag to store it in (like a golf bag), for when you board the plane. 

I walk with a stick most of the time, so not using the Luggie  on a regular  basis.  It is worth  it's  weight in gold for times when you need a bit of extra help. Might be worth trying  one in a mobility  shop before you actually  purchase one. Good luck.

Regards 

Sue 

Hi Sue ,do you know which model ? My wife would have to put in car boot ,is this difficult,  small wheels , ok off pavements, did you buy refurb or private . Much to go wrong or problems . I too have left arm weakness ,are you ok driving. Rather anxious with things , can you varie speed ie slower . Pleased you managed holiday, not for a while for me . Thanks David .

Thank you Jeanne for you encouraging words. I have moments now when I do feel brighter. I feel worse with the fatigue every teatime. I go to bed very early. It does take a lot of effort to do simple tasks. But don't you feel good when you succeed. Take care love judyx

Hello Norma I have a feeling like I pressure in the head. I find that one thing helps me to feel better is to lay on the bed on one side with your head on a small cushion. Do this for at least an hour. Have a nap perhaps. Take care. Love judyx

Hello again David. I forgot to tell you that when I stroked the second time it left me with damage in part of my vision in the left quadrant. Do you find that you forget even simple things now. Have you any other things that the stroke left you with. Do you find daily tasks take out of you. Sorry about the third degree lol. Take care blessings judy. 

Hi- I'm Jeanne. I have  a question for all of you.  Since my stroke 2 years ago I am much more sensitive to heat.  Can't tolerate it well.  I need to be inside in the a/c house when it's hot out-didn't used to be like this. Anyone else?

I am sensitive to both heat and cold. The recent heatwave drained me, but, normally, my weak left side,be specially the lower arm and hand, get cold.

Hi David, Not sure which model but it's  a basic model with no arm rests. It folds up small and compact. We have a small 3 door hatchback and it fits easily  into the boot. As far as the weight,  my husband has no difficulty and my daughter  has manged it on a few occasions.  If you Google the Luggie  on line, you can get the dimensions, weight etc.

It has small stabiliser wheels but I tend to stick to using ramps when

crossing roads,  as  the clearance underneath  is not very high.

We purchased ours secondhand  through ebay and paid £800. I would recommend  checking  that the battery  is in good order, as lithium  batteries  are very expensive. 

I find it very easy to use with one arm. There is also a reverse  facility and you can adjust the speed. On the whole I find it easy to use, although I do get anxious  at times when it's  busy and there are  lots of people  about. Having said that it has enabled  us to do lots of things that we wouldn't  otherwise  been able to do.

Regards  Sue 

Hello Jeanne. Welcome to the forum.i also suffered more in the recent heat than I usually do. I find the heat makes me feel ill since my 4 strokes a year ago. Have trouble breathing. I was like that during my first strokes. Take care blessings judyx

Thanks for responding.  It helps to know the feelings are "normal" --if we can call it that!

Hello Judy ,similar to me expect sight problem. Stroke just over year ago, don't really feel  I have improved ? How long ago was your stroke ! Improvements ?

THANKS DAVID .

Thanks Janet ,poss delivery of Luggie scooter this week ,will update. 

THANKS DAVID. 

Hello David. My first strokes were a year ago today. The other s were a month later making four. Some days I feel that I am improving then other days l seem to go backwards. My walking and dizzies always there. I stroked in the cerebellum and occipital lobe affecting sight. My typing and texting are improving. I have lacunas also. I am studying the brain. Very interesting. Lovely chatting with you. Blessings. Judy. 

Hi Judy ,good speaking David. 

Hello David. I forgot to ask you. If your stroke affected your memory at all. I find recent memory recall the worse. Especially. In conversation. I will be talking and suddenly forget what we are talking about lol. Blessings judy

Hi - I'm Jim. I had my stroke early May 2019. I had a review a few months after my week-long hospital stay and was recommended for a neurocognitive review as I felt I had a large 'gap' in my memory. That review has never happened and my wife is my main carer. I feel pretty much ok, not unduly worried and fairly confident externally, but have some issues regarding anxiety and tolerance internally. This gets between us and we increasingly are at odds - I keep saying the wrong things and causing upset. We have been together for 44 years and I cannot imagine anything else. Any advice out here...?

Hi. This is not uncommon, because stroke affects our mood and emotions. This often leads to a short fuse. When I first came out of hospital four years ago, at one point I snapped and said 'Put me in a home and enjoy yourself'. I knew it was a very unkind thing to say and apologised later. I still get fraught because, walking wise, I cannot keep up in supermarkets and find this frustrating.

We have been together 42 years, so I had to learn to calm myself down. Things are better now, but I still snap occasionally. Please bear in mind that your wife cannot read your mind. Perhaps being more open about what frustrates you might help. It also helps to focus on what you can do and do that as well as you can. Be open about what you can't do and any worries you have about your memory. Telling yourself to stay calm helps, as does biting your tongue.

I had a stroke 2 years ago.  During the first 1 1/2 years I had a lot of anxiety.  Often couldn't sleep at night. Four  things helped. (#1)I saw a psychologist for a couple of months or so.(medicare pays for this). It really helped to talk about my fears. (And everyone who has had a stroke or heart problem has them.)(#2)The nurse in the hospital told me to try CBD oil. My GP and cardiologist said go ahead. They can't prescribe it yet, so insurance won't pay.  It cost me about $100 for 1 to 1 1/2 months.(Dosing charts on the internet)  But I didn't have to take it very often after the first month or two.(#3) Gave up all caffein.  Switched my 1 cup of coffee a day to decaf.  (#4) I got on a couple of different stroke help sights like this one and so was able to contact others going through similar things.  Realizing what you're going through is typical and will pass eventually helps to dissipate the anxiety.  Hope this helps.Jeanne