Hi Jim, I'm sorry to hear about the stroke and the effects you are experiencing.  My husband suffered a stroke in August 2017, and he feels the emotional legacy every day.  We both know that the stroke changed him, and we have to learn to love the new 'stroke bloke'.  Things do get fraught, and just like John Jeff mentioned, there was a very tricky time when he considered booking into a hotel just to feel that he wasn't a burden to me.  It's very tough for everyone, and I think we can only learn to manage it as best we can.  Everyone's situation is different, I found it so hard having a challenging, full time career at the time, it was difficult to come home every day, not knowing what to expect.  Life is easier now that I have retired and feel that I have much more patience and understanding!!  

It may be really useful for your wife to read the experiences of others on this site - it helped me enormously to get to grips with the whole post-stroke scenario.  Very kind contributors such as John Jeff, Kay, Colin, Brenda and Nick to name just a few, offered oodles of support and generously gave me an insight into their lives and emotions - they shared the hardships and were completely honest about their new lives.  You and your wife will always find support and help on this site.  It's vital that partners, spouses, friends and family begin to understand the effects of stroke; I sometimes think that I have been hard done by ... and then I remember that stroke survivors have so much to deal with every day, it goes unseen but not un-felt.   

Wow, I'm such a wind-bag!!  Anyway, best of luck, and please encourage your wife to read some of the posts on the site and this I'm sure, will help you both.  Congratulations on 44 years - and many more happy ones to come. Best wishes, Nic xx

Hi Judy ,memory not too bad , unless like today pushed myself too much , fatigue hit me 12 ish tried to talk , get muddled with short term memory then . Can't really talk or stand ,also ! All the best David. 

Hello David. We seem to be recovering at the same rate. My legs are my worst to gain any progress. Still very weak and I also cannot stand without my quad stick and grabbing hold of furniture for dear life. Of course I have good and bad times with the lurgy fatigue. I try to keep cheerful. Take care. Blessings judy. 

Hello Jim,

Every stroke is different. depending on where in the brain the stroke ocurred and how extensive it was - everyone's experiences after stroke are therefore different. After 44 years together, your wife now has the double whammy of increased responsibilities and has to deal with you being a different person. Some partners are able to rise to the challenge and some are not - many relationships founder after one person has a stroke. My comparatively short marriage (40 months) did . It was not, however, the end of the World. With the support of family I forged a new life. Over time (it's ten years since my stroke) and with medical support I overcame my anxiety and learned to become more tolerant. Life after stroke and being single can be good :o)

Take care now

Damian

Thanks Damian,

I am sorry for your relationship failure after such a short period, but you seem to have recovered well and I'm glad its working out. My circumstances are different, due I'm sure to the longevity of our union; and after each 'spat', we are taking time to analyse and adjust - I feel we are on the same side of the rope and hope we weather the problem.

Stay safe

Jim

Hi Nic

I recognise the 'new stroke bloke' reference, that is what my wife certainly feels about me - it has been assuredly tough for her as she endeavours to adjust. Ironically, and it sounds bad, but it hasn't been as tough for me; more frustrating and confusing! We were both looking forward to our retirement, but were confronted with conflict instead - it has been tough for her and I am determined to turn things around!

My wife does most of the research for me and has recognised the suffering of other partners; her input has been invaluable and I will certainly encourage her reading your kind words.

Thanks for the best wishes, and for your insight - we have felt we have to deal with this 'life change' on our own, but you reassure me, that that is not so!

Thanks again

Jim

Hi Jeanne

Glad to hear your anxiety is diminishing and thanks for your reassurance - stay well

Jim

Hi John

I can align myself to many of your comments and we are both determined to weather this frustration, impatience and conflict. We analyse and discuss events of conflict and, you are absolutely right, I need to slow down, count to ten, admonish myself and bite my tongue!

I think the key is being open and honest; we have survived the first 44 years, I am hopeful we can survive the next!

Stay safe

Jim

Same here. Really can't stand the heat and humid weather.  Really suffered a lot during the last heatwave.

Hello friends. I'm Brian, a Catholic Priest. I had multiple small strokes on both sides of my brain at the end of July. Mostly caused by hypertension and too many fish and chips over the years! I'm fortunate in that I have negligible functional deficit and can get around and get on with some basic stuff during the day. The first two weeks I mostly spent asleep, which I guess was my brain recovering. Fatigue is the big thing I struggle with. I am mentally adjusting that it may be with me for some years to come and I will need to adust my lifestyle and working pattern.

Brian

Hi, I'm Chris.  I had a mini stroke this March. Since then, I have been suffering from headache, nausea, eye sore, feeling light headed and nausea.  In the last 7 days, I have been struggling to get out of bed - feeling sick, nausea and light headed. Just like having a hangover, or bad migraine.  Are they the symptoms of the so called Post Stroke Fatigue?  I really find it hard to live a normal life without a bit of quality of life. Any advice or experience to share?  Looks like this kind of Fatigue will stay forever. 

It will get better Brian. I'm still fatigue d some days since my stroke in March and other days feel great then end up doing too much. I keep telling myself il learn to balance the good n bad days out. Haha still telling myself that. But at least I know if I have a rubbish day I will get a better one after. Onwards and upwards let's see what tomorrow brings?good luck. Best wishes. 

Hi Brian, glad you are recovering nicely. When you said fatigue, did you mean just tireness and lack of energy?  Mine includes headache, dizziness, light headed, nausea and sore eyes. 

Good advice.  I had a mini stroke back in March this year. Chronic fatigue to me includes headaches, dizziness, nausea, light headed and sore eyes. Feeling completely drained and lack of motivation/energy. Do you think this is the symptom of chronic fatigue?

hello Chris I am sure it will get better it will take time but thie forum is full of advice and friends who have got al kinds of problems. It is early days yet so try and be positive and ask questions and I am sure you will get plenty of sympathy and advice from us fellow sufferers..All the best to you Norma.

Yes, pretty much.  The medical description of 'chronic fatigue' is feeling utterly exhausted even though you are not tired.  You can wake up after a good night's sleep and still feel unable to have the strength to get up and get ready for the day. Disinterest in life in general too.  It's not due to lack of sleep but lack of stamina and energy which is what we all suffer from in the early days. The good news is that it does get better but takes a long while. Gentle exercise is recommended daily to slowly build up your stamina. I was told to do the 'lampost' walk. Walk to the first lampost outside your house for one week. Following week walk to the second and so on.  Slowly, slowly catchey monkey as they say! The headaches, dizziness and nausea could also be caused by your medication so worth trying other brands until you get one that suits you.

I would talk to your to. I think we all assume that any symptoms are stroke related, but it could be something else.

Janet 

Hi Chris

i had a stroke at the end of June this year, in the caudate nucleus of my brain, I suffered and am still suffering with post stroke fatigue but it has improved with time, so don't be to down hearted it will get better.

My fatigue starts late afternoon, I feel nausea,body aches, eyes hurt and my breathing feels like a panic attack, I can't stop crying saying over and over again that I feel so ill, this lasts just a few minutes, 5 at the most but it exhausts me, I've just learnt to deal with it, some days now it won't affect me to badly and I feel that that is a good day.

So don't despair, drink plenty of water, I've found this helps, and cut down on caffeine at night.

Take care

Jane ?

Hi Norma, very kind of you.  I just hope I will get better, one day.

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. I have changed my medication twice already.  Will talk to my GP to find out how to manage the headaches, dizziness and nausea.