My Brain and Other Curiosities

I’ve always liked my brain, I always felt it as something insular and hidden away from the collective consciousness of society. It would amuse me, guide me through everyday activities, surmise in secret, and when prompted and primed, bemuse myself and others with its nuances. My spirits were dampened when it got damaged, life seemed very brittle, and what I once considered this ethereal cloud of thoughts became a tangible, electrical, mycelium of offal. Now, I am redefining my relationship with my brain. It has shown to me that it can be unpredictable, unreliable, and absolute. I still use the term “Stroke Survivor” but, more and more, I find myself needing to express myself by pulling out the phrase, “brain damage”. Getting down to brass tacks and all that, I feel just as challenged as anyone who has a damaged brain through head injury, genetics, disease, or something they’ve ingested. And I do want other people to know that. I had a stroke and now I have brain damage.

A stroke is so ambiguous to people. Had I had an accident on my bicycle, or accidentally drank something toxic, and the result was brain damage. I think the picture painted is less abstract than brain damage caused by a stroke. For me, personally, I need people to understand that my issue is with dead tissue and I can’t get around that at the moment.

At this time, my post-stroke symptoms are the worst they’ve been in a year. Suddenly, I am having trouble reading, blurred and double-vision, which I don’t remember having affected my reading, even while in the hospital, so who knows what is going on there. It can make me feel very nauseous, especially if I am looking at my phone. I’m trying to get through Casanovas memoirs of London and Moscow, it is quite the tome, and I fear with double-vision, it may take me twice as long to finish it.

My gait has become more reticent over the last few months, and I’ve taken to wielding a cane while out and about. If I stand still, I have serious wobbles.

Fatigue just makes me feel like I’m going to black out and collapse.

I think, I may be suffering from some post traumatic stress that has pummelled me about a bit, and since the adrenaline has dissipated, my brain is now trying to recover from the shock of it all.

I know I am not going backwards, but I sure am going a little sidewards. I have always been content with my lot, even at the worst of times, so I am not generally miserable. Of course, I have miserable moments. A few weeks ago, I had a cough that lasted for eight days. Every time, I was about to drift off to sleep, I’d have a raging coughing fit. So, for most nights, over eight days, I fell asleep at about 6 am, and woke an hour later in a fit of coughing. That was a pretty miserable eight days.

16 Likes

@Rups

You are a little further down that path of progress than I but I feel I can make a comment.

Coming to terms with disability has been very hard work for me. There is a fine line between collapsing into a heap of motiveless jelly incapable of focus or direction and recognition of limitation with a desire to somehow surmount the challenges one faces.

One thing is certain, we ain’t in Kansas no more. Maybe there are some lessons to learn from the story of the Wizard of Oz.

Please forgive my flippancy.
I could weep, I really could.
(that clip just made me cry real tears, oh wow)

I might be proved wrong but I think taking the challenge on is worthwhile.

keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smile: :+1:

6 Likes

@Rups It’s comforting to see your crafted words once again, because it says you are again equal to the challenges you have recently had to at least the degree of being able to spin some thoughts to share.

It’s also important to provoking to see your crafted words because you describe your journey in a way that allows consideration of others parallels and divergences

Thanks for sharing

I hope it’s now onwards and upwards (for us all)

7 Likes

I am quite alright with flippancy Bobbi, it’s a mad, mad world, and the human race is too big for its boots. I’m up for the challenge, I find I am still waking up every morning, so that’s a start.

6 Likes

Bore da Simon, it’s been a wee while since I’ve had the opportunity to free think. I’ve been so consumed by processes and predicaments that the luxury of musing has been bereft. I like my routines, and post stroke, I am almost obsessive about them, so to have them disrupted so, has left me a little shattered. I have had to compartmentalise my thoughts, so I have nighttime thoughts, bath time thoughts, morning thoughts, day and evening thoughts. This is a coping strategy that allows me to avoid unnecessary negativity and stress, particularly as a result of my post stroke condition is obsessiveness.

5 Likes

Remember there are 2 cerebral hemispheres ( and each hemisphere is divided into different lobes ). Certainly a lobe or hemisphere was damaged, but not the whole brain. How far are you, post-stroke? I’ve had all the problems you list, including double vision, and I’m sure we go through dips in our progress.

I applaud you for telling it as you feel. The pressure to always improve and make progress is real, and our struggles are immense. Endurance and stamina take a beating, and yet, it is in our nature to work at the problem, and triumph

Wishing you good luck,
and hoping for a breakthrough
ciao, Roland

5 Likes

Well, I had a cerebellar stroke and there are only two hemispheres of which I had damage to the right and left, bilateral stroke. I am now three years post-stroke. Double and blurred vision were on and off, but never affected my reading, however, now the brain has decided it might give double and blurred vision when reading a go. It’s annoying because just as I had logged my symptoms, they have changed. I have a sneaking suspicion as to why, so I am following that lead at the moment.

4 Likes

I see, Rupert,

I think I am out of my depth trying to offer any advice to you. I am rooting for you, though, and hope to follow you through your journey. I do identify with logging symptoms, thinking “I’ve got this”, then realizing how far I am from the finishing line. We must follow our instincts, and I hope your hunch / lead sheds some light…

Keep us posted , please,
ciao, Roland

5 Likes

Search ‘A letter from your brain’
It is a brilliant explanation of why we should look after our brains and be kind to them. I t is also a useful analogy to pass onto family and friends.

5 Likes

It’s quite frightening that when I talk to my friends and acquaintances, they have no clue that a stroke results in brain damage. I think if we come away from describing a stroke as a stroke and call it a brain attack resulting in brain damage, people would take it more seriously. That would also ensure that ‘stroke’ only happens to the elderly is not the case. It can then be classified in the same manner as ABI’s and TBI’s.

7 Likes

@Rups I’m sorry you’re being troubled so much by your stroke symptoms again.

I get double & blurred vision too & generally it doesn’t affect my reading but when fatigue is at its worst it affects reading & watching TV etc etc. You mention fatigue & I wonder if it is all linked.

I’m glad your cough is gone. A very miserable 8 weeks I am sure.

Hope it’s onwards & upwards for you now.

Ann

4 Likes

@Rups, I have missed you.

I feel more than a little grief that you are having new symptoms. Perhaps they had something to do with that cough? You know I have no idea what I am talking about…just grasping at straws.

I have been having congestion and cough that I feel fairly certain is from influenza B or Covid. Think I am beginning to see the backside of it. Or I hope. Whatever it is has made me quite more tired than usual as well as unable to read or watch a screen for long.

I hope for us both, these changes are temporary and we are right back to relearning.

Brain damage would be a much easier way to describe many of stroke symptoms. I just feel like a tornado ripped through my whole body and blew away some important parts. I always enjoy your creative ways of saying something, and what you share. I hope to see you again very soon, and you overcome what is nagging at you.

4 Likes

I have missed being here, unfortunately, I feel like I have been thrown to the wolves but, luckily, have ducked and weaved like a hare and just squeezed into some sort of homeostasis.

4 Likes

@Rups

I feel that here, of all the dimensions, can be a very useful place to be.

Wander free but do not stray long.

keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smile: :+1:

2 Likes

I had a stroke just under 4 years ago! Within this time I’ve had another 4 mini strokes! I recognise the way you feel! I must stress I am walking around like I am fine! I had a thrombolysis procedure within 3 hours of the onset of my stroke. It did make recovery quicker but the subsequent TIA’s pushed me back awhile each time. I’ve conquered that I hope! But the brain fog, the rewiring of my brain is a hidden fight! Where once I was outgoing and a wiz in performance, not scared of playing etc on stage with a band and fronting them too, now full of anxiety and wary of such performances! My goal now is to get back to what I love doing best! But the brain fog, that hidden disability (which isn’t classed as a disability) needs its time to let me be!

5 Likes

Is that a typo Bobbi, or a purposeful slip, as I spend most of my life straying, or did you intend to write stay, or was it stay?

2 Likes

A newsreader might be my perfect job. If I am sitting, and talking, I may appear like anyone else, but as soon as I have to go about doing stuff, that’s when the cookie crumbles.

3 Likes

Amazingly described…thanks for your insights…exactly how I feel. Very helpful to read this …thank you. Wishing you well
Jacinta

4 Likes

The everlasting cough is all around at the moment, I’ve had it, my wife has it bad, I got on a bus yesterday and half the passengers were coughing. When the warmer weather arrives it should hopefully fade away.
I’m always amazed that people generally know so little about strokes. I suppose in fairness I was no different until it happened to me. When I try to explain what’s happened the response is often “I didn’t know that” Education is the answer but most folks don’t like to think it might happen to them. I never even considered myself a potential victim. When at 65 I had the aortic aneurysm scan I was told that my results were much better than average, so I wrongly assumed that the rest of my plumbing was also in good shape. Why they don’t include a carotid artery scan is a mystery but it would certainly detect a lot of potential strokes.
It’s always interesting to hear what’s happening to other survivors. It helps to know what obstacles are strewn on the path to recovery. It also helps to lift my often flagging spirits to hear how people face up to and overcome the challenges of sailing in this boat we share. It takes immense strength sometimes to deal with the disabilities we have had placed on our shoulders. Both visible and invisible.
Thanks to everybody who adds their learned experience to these threads.

4 Likes

@Rups :100: agree. Some people seem to take issue with, or deny use of the term ‘brain damage’ for the reasons you stated. I have no idea why because Stroke is an Aquired Brain Injury (ABI), as opposed to a Traumatic one (TBI) as a result of say a road traffic incident. Then there are those who judge whether you brought it on yourself or it just happened one day. I mean I get the argument it you smoked 40 a day or had McDonalds deliveroo on repeat order. However most of us are not doing that. The damage and effects are ultimately a roll of the dice among all of us. We all have to live with it and that is what we have in common.

There isn’t a day that goes by that I am not reminded of (or see on this forum) the life changing and life enduring effect of a Stroke physically, mentally, emotionally and psychologically. Sometimes they are in synch, sometimes they are at war. Each day is different. It is a marathon of life learning, commitment and acceptance. New symptoms emerge and you put your internal Code Red on notice. Then it goes away and you decide maybe you don’t need to update your Will…just yet.

I am cautious about personally sharing too much here these days sadly as posts and comments are visible to the public (ie. non forum members). However, I wanted to say you are not alone.

This forum is a life line when you are just floating in your life (jacket) or feel alone, lost at sea. We are the flashing beacon day and night. We are always here.

6 Likes