My Brain and Other Curiosities

The phrase, brain damage, seems to be associated by the general public with negative behaviour, limited cognitive function, or stupidity. It’s often bandied about as an insult or means of mocking someone. Maybe its stigma is because of this. But it is just a corporeal fact for those of us who have looked at our scans and seen those blemishes that represent dead tissue, as I have. In my case, I’ve found it useful for driving home the reality of my predicament to those who might not be taking my symptoms seriously or not putting two and two together.

3 Likes

Just as a follow up on this, I am focussing better now, the double-vision and blurriness is less severe. This blip in symptoms was a wee bit worrying for me, however, it seems as I pick myself up off the floor, I get a little more resilient to the barrage of visual-spatial weirdness that dominates my every waking hour.

2 Likes

Hi rups there is certainly nothing wrong wx your ability to explain your issues. I am now 14 months post stroke and luckily I havnt endured many of your symptoms . I’m pleased to hear that some of your troubles are improving and hope they continue to do so. Take care love Suzywong x

4 Likes

@Rups good news that your double vision and blurriness is improving. The extent of mine really does depend on my fatigue levels so maybe yours is linked in some way too.

3 Likes

I was doing the same as you, fronting a band, right up to my stroke last June. I’m a little more damaged physically and I can no longer play my instrument, but my band mates have been incredibly supportive and I’m now singing again. Probably because I can’t play now I put as much as I can into my singing. My voice has changed a lot to my own ears and I’m aware that my speech is still a bit slurred, but I have had encouraging comments from many people. I never know how much is truth and how much is pity but the comments are consistent. Like you I was very anxious and had doubted my abilities.
So, please don’t let your lack of confidence win over your true desires. Get back where you belong, give it all you’ve got and your performance anxieties will fade away. Best wishes.

2 Likes

@Strings I don’t think you should worry because Dylan, Springsteen, Brando have all made careers out of mumbling slurring and otherwise being difficult to follow what they say!

You & @Marty1 should get an agent and a ticket Hollywood :slight_smile:

more to the point - some people have imposter syndrome for all their life. This is a self-perception from a position of knowledge of what greater perfection looks like to be able to spot flaws that the observers are not even aware are potential. A slightly similar analogy is that “the mouth doesn’t taste what the eye doesn’t see”

Post stroke impacts to our confidence and anxiety does not have the level of understanding within the medical profession or communicated to us or addressed with anything like adequacy - and I’ll just emphasise it’s not understood by the forum admin either - else they would not act as they do

Ciao
Simon

1 Like

Hey Strings - i also had a polyp removed on my vocal cord a year last Christmas so I’ve had to build my voice up again! I suppose you could say it was one thing after another! But I’m hoping my duo will reunite very soon! Thanks for your support and I hope you enjoy performing again!

2 Likes

Simon - thanks mate but not Hollywood but Lubbock Texas and Memphis Tennessee!! Hope all goes well for you!

2 Likes

Do you have any YouTubes? Strings posted one (I’m fairly sure I’m not confusing him with someone else) that was really good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Simon - if you’re on FB look for “Marty Buddy Holly”!

2 Likes

@Marty1 found your page Marty, great couple of video clips. When I was about 12 my mate and me used to go to his brother’s room after school. His brother was older and out working so we used to play his record collection on his Dansette.It was all the old rock and roll greats. Buddy Holly, Elvis, Gene Vincent, Chuck Berry, Everlys etc. so that was my first serious introduction to proper music. It was also where I listened to my first Dylan album.

1 Like

@SimonInEdinburgh when I was recovering from my endarterectomy my vocal chords were suffering from a severed cranial nerve (common side effect) I joked at the time that it might be an idea to introduce a few Tom Waits songs seeing as I actually bloody sound like him now.

I did post a short video clip from a folk club just before Christmas, if that’s what you mean, but it wasn’t on YT so perhaps you are thinking of someone else? Dunno.

1 Like

It was deffo you. When I said YT I just meant generically “shared on video”

:slight_smile:

@SimonInEdinburgh in that case it must be that clip because there aren’t any others. I don’t think I shared it on this forum though, I believe it was elsewhere.

1 Like

Ahhh
Yeah that could be right
The one thing that is dependable is I’m unreliable as to where I have seen things

I know id seen something very impressive and it was starring you

:slight_smile:
Ciao
Simon

1 Like

@SimonInEdinburgh thanks Simon :+1:

1 Like

Hi Rups, just a comment on this update you gave. The timing of your brain taking a side step into a fuzzy vision zone seems to have coincided with, or followed, the persistent cough which robbed you of sleep for over a week. Have you thought of sleep deprivation being the reason?:thinking:. The brain needs adequate sleep in order to repair, adapt, learn - and heaven knows we all already have reduced brain power! Whatever….I do hope you can get back to reading comfortably. I don’t often post on the forum as my vision and screens are not a homogeneous combination :confused:…….
I like the way you compartmentalise your thoughts during a day…. Might try that! But each section must have something that makes me laugh.
Keep going….hopefully straight ahead :+1:.
Pooh

2 Likes

Shwmae Poozle, no it was happening for a month before the dreaded eight day cough. I think it was PTS because I had been through such an upheaval over January that when the storm died down, I think my senses were still working overtime.

2 Likes

Oh, I had some of the same problems with the brain fog and am still struggling in one year later and finally cut my appointment with a neurologist and talk to her last week. When I describe the brain fog to her she said it did not sound like the side effects from the stroke but more from the medication. The blood pressure medication. She said that could be adjusted. Medication may be bringing my blood pressure down lower than it should be for someone of my age so I will be working on that at the end of April when I meet with my primary doctor. That’s one option to look at.
Best to you over the pond!
Mikedob

3 Likes