Mobility and transport

Hi David, 

Thank you for your advice and positivity. 

I struggled with bursting into tears at the drop of a hat. Long chat with my GP she prescribed a small dose of an antidepressant. I was very worried about taking it read the side effects list so many times. Fortunately I have been ok taking it and the tears and anxiety are well controlled. 

Not an approach for everyone. But knowing its because my stroke and I'm not " going daft" was very reassuring. 

It's early days for you and sounds like your doing very well.  Keep up the good work, stay safe and be strong. 

Kind regards 

Kay

Do you feel disabled because people stare? They probably stare because you are so beautiful. I was out yesterday, some children were looking at me so I did some twirls in  my wheelchair and  made them laugh.

Janet

Dear David

i enjoyed reading your post.

ironic that my neighbour got a second hand luggie yesterday.

he is a large man and due to the loss of exercise has put on weight. Not a stroke survivor but has heart issues.

Regarding your SF i do hope it eases. I spent many many months getting good night time sleep, then i could begin to cope better with SF. Now it has gone. Not a clouburst moment, but it has gone.

I had a stroke almost five years ago and it was tough.

I often think of you new SS with virus issues on top, but i hadnt considered those of you at your stage. Which is possibly even worse. Or do you think of it in terms that you will recover as the virus is beaten.

i got huge benefits from relaxation classes and low key yoga. Heavens above, i am even looking at online courses.

Keep positive

Smile endlessly

lots of us out here willing you on

Colin

Well done David. The benefits of going out into the countryside are enormous. It doesn't matter what you look like on your scooter. A year is not a long time after your stroke. My big one was nearly five years ago, but I still have a bit of post stroke fatigue. I have an hour's nap at noon every day.

I walk with a stick outdoors, but don't use it indoors. I do a short walk outside twice a day, but yesterday I even managed to walk home from the doctor's after my flu jab (a walk I break down into stages). At the doctor's, rather than make me walk through their one way system, they sat me on the wall outside and did the flu jab there. The car park was not being used on jab day.

Keep up the good work and stay safe. I also live in Worcestershire.

You showed them Janet?

Hi John,

Trend setting again out door clinics!

Kay

Thanks Pat .

Shoulder pain & in crook of arm ,2 months ago prescribed 10mg of Amitriplin . Didn't help with pain but seemed to take edge off anixety & slept better, although poss makes me more sleepy in day ? Then realised this was also mild antidepressant , is this what you are on ? 

Good speaking Kay ,all the best David. 

Thanks Janet , early start 5.30 am ? Yes first time on scooter & felt more disabled than at home ! I did also meet a kind chap who asked if he could give me some healing from Jesus ,not really my thing , but said yes . This made me feel tearful ?

Good speaking David. 

Hello Colin , 5 years ! I felt after 1 year things would be better, but not really, hence scooter. Percentage wise did your SF diminishe each year ?

All the best David. 

Yes got better for 3.5 years then things diverted to aortic stenosis, which is almost identical to SF. I really worked hard at recovery. Keeping all muscles moving. Getting proper sleep. Took me a year to grasp that stenosis not SF was the issue. In May this year i had operation to replace aortic valve. I am working through recovery from the surgery and now i can do several hours activity without the fatigue slaying me.

Around two years does seem to be a marker. I have read hundreds of posts on this forum and the previous forum.2 years does seem relevant. I think maybe the brain will do repairs for about two years. We are all different, no two strokes will be the same.

Things do get better. But its the slow slow slow that is hard to take. Without stenosis my recovery would probably be Three years, but its just a guess.

colin

Stroke fatigue, 1 year on, no real improvement. 5 years have you improved.  Like you ,back to bed each day approx 12 ish. I think noticed before you are in Worcestershire, we moved to Malvern , from South Molton , Devon about 6 years ago , if had stroke in Devon,  SO remote & no driving ,would have added to problems . Flu jab already,  I was recommended last year , wait to hear . Good to speak John. 

DAVID. 

Thanks Colin .

Hi David,

I'm taking Citalopram 10mg once daily. I understand from my G.P. the treatment dose for depression is 40mg per day. After talking to me she didn't believe I was depressed, she believed it was all apart if my stroke and my recovery.  

Talking and sharing on the forum is a part of the healing process. Learning from each other and sharing experience and knowledge. I can contribute actively to stroke community even on a "bad" day. 

Plus the insights into stroke recovery from people who really know is in valuable. 

Have a good day 

Kay ?

Hi David. I also was given Amitriptyline 10mg for nerve pain due to a mobile disc protusion in my lower spine - not my stroke leg. The neurologist prescribed it after months of persevering with a numb leg which my GP thought was all in my head.  She said it took 8 weeks to work. It actually took around 10 weeks to get rid of the numbness.  I sleep like a baby but I don't have any sleepiness during the day. Maybe it may take just a little longer than the 2 months to kick in but worth sticking with as I couldn't do without it now.

Thanks Kay ,yes the advise & encouragement is great !

Good speaking David. 

Thanks , yes definitely I will give it longer . I am also sure helps with my sleep. Good talking David. 

Yes it does help you to sleep.  Not sure if this helps but the neurologist prescribed me Accord brand name. I was once give another brand by the chemist - I think it was Lemus? They were rubbish and didn't work as well (probably the generic version) so my GP put on the repeat prescription that it must be Accord brand now. I take it about 7pm which is about an hour after my daily aspirin dose. By 9pm I am falling asleep.  I'm not someone who likes late nights so I'm usually in bed by 9.30pm unless we are out somewhere. I'm very much a morning person - up at 6.30am and out and about by 9am once the school run has got out of the way!  Keep at it and good luck.

Ironically, my big stroke was in Devon. Rushed to Exeter A&E, then sent to Plymouth. Brought back to Worcester four days later. My fatigue has improved. When aI first came home, I spent several hours in bed, so one hour now is great.

The strange thing is that I get up at 7.30am but am shattered by noon. However, after an hour's nap I can stay up till 11.30 pm. I also need to limit activities during the day, otherwise I feel shattered again.

I don't think anyone knows enough about post stroke fatigue.

Hi John , were you on holiday in Devon ? I loved living there ,near to Barnstaple often went to Exeter . Had small terrier dog , walks along cliffs & beaches . Seems another life now . Had to leave & came to Malvern , big mortgage, self employed builder ,not much work (people , do not often see ,lots of poverty there ! ) Not here long & had stroke .Small bungalow & no mortgage, must have sensed it ?

Good speaking David.