Mobility and transport

I look forward to the day I can manage the three mile round walk from my bungalow. One day.

Only one of the two snaps went off. Probably I didnt do it right.

Colin

looks great Colin, I am sure you will make the 3 miler. I tried to upload a photo of the woods but it didn't work, I will try a live snap another time. I can do a decent 400m walk which over the next few weeks I plan to consolidate and extend a little. been on a bit of a downer recently, having to negotiate benefits and looking for work. I am still recovering from bad treatment from my previous employer, it left emotional damage that I have not yet worked through. I wish I had never gone back there. but I try now to focus on what I have to do today. I am fortunate in that cognitive damage was minimal and I can read to my hearts content. it is a great release and I am reading more now than I even did pre stroke, and more ambitiously.  have started on James Joyce now,

hope the weather is not inhibiting your adventures. it has rather kept me indoors recently. but not for long. 

all the best 

Tony 

Morning Tony

I have the standard folding model (without arm rests).

It can be folded and carried onto buses and trains. I don't go out unaccompanied, so this not a problem but it would be difficult if you go out alone.

regards Sue

Morning Tony

I have the standard folding model (without arm rests).

It can be folded and carried onto buses and trains. I don't go out unaccompanied, so this not a problem but it would be difficult if you go out alone.

regards Sue

Lucky me, I am retired so dont have to run the gauntlet of employment. I do however carry out a voluntary task that takes about three hours per month. And this slays me. Before retirement i had a strees job with plenty of responsibilty. And no way could I now do that. Why does a stroke do this to us ?

Yes you would be wise to push those bad experiences of employment out of your thoghts and concentrate on what to do next. Easiysaid but oh so hard to do. I benefit from relaxation group and yoga. All types of meditating would no doubt be equally helpful.

Concentrating on one day at a time and even one minute at a time, is a good technique. I do hope you are having some success with your own way of dealing with things.

So many things arenow difficult and it is not understood by many people at all.

Best wishes

Colin

thanks Colin, I do find that breaking things down into small tasks does really work. I ve been working with a couple of brilliant physiotherapists just recently, had my last session with them today. that was one of their recommendations. I am so grateful for having had their support, it's over to me now, but I am much encouraged. with work stuff I had a senior management role and there is no way I ever want to do that again. looking back I am amazed I was able to go back to it at all. there must be some life left in me after all! 6d be very happy pouring tea for a couple of hours a week though I can imagine how tiring it can be, but excellent to do a simple service for the community

well done 

Tony 

Hi Tony

I have also purchased a Luggie recently and I am very pleased with it. I bought the second model up. It is the one with arms. I can lift it into my car boot, but I do find it a ittle heavy to do it alone and usually grab someone to help, if anyone is walking past. I t isn't heavy for a man though, they seem to pick it up as though it is weightless.

Rita.

I have a Go-Go scooter which I have had since 2014 and it is absolutely vital to me. It fits in my garden shed, and with a new and bigger battery, it will do 12 miles! I use it nearly every day. I  can walk, though very slowly and with a stick - since I had my stroke in 2013. So when I need to shop, I use my scooter. I would heartily recommend getting one. It goes up to 4 mph. The only downside is that you aren't supposed to use it in the rain. It comes apart,  and I have used it in different places.

I would say 'go for it!'

I have a scooter and it is very good. I go to the local shops most of the days. I  go to the Stroke's Club and to the University  which takes me about 45 minutes which is about 3.5 miles away. If I have a go any further I have to have a small rest for 5 minutes. I tried to use a single -decker bus but the aisle was too narrow, I haven't been on a double -decker yet that might be easier.

many thanks, that's really helpful 

Tony 

great, many thanks 

that's really helpful 

Tony 

I have I have a quingo scooter that I use locally. Would like to purchase one that will fold or come apart to go in my car. Any recommendations?

My parter has a go go scooter which I store in the boot of our car, this has been a life line for us so we can can go out and enjoy ourselves and gives him independence while also being ok for me to lift in and out the boot and assemble. Hope this helps you x

I have decided to look into using a mobility scooter. I miss the freedom driving a car gave. But I wasn't using my car and my brother needed a newer one.  So I gave him mine.  He loves it. I bought it 3 years ago before my stroke to allow me and my husband to get out and about.  That didn't happen and I associated the car with sad times. Glad it has a new life.

I'm going to hire a scooter initially with a view to buying if I get on with it. Being delivered on Tuesday can't wait. 

I would advise trying several models in a mobility shop. Consider how you will charge the scooter. Can you get it into your house? Will the scooter go in a taxi if you want to go further afield.

Good luck

Janet 

Enjoy! ?

Hi Janet, 

Many thanks for the good advice.

Definitely take it on board.

Kay

Thanks ? 

Over a year from stroke, aged 61 , mobility not good & fatigue terrible ! Mobility scooter it is then, did not feel good my wife having to push me in wheelchair.  Loads of research decided on Luggie elite deluxe . Second hand on e bay New version 2019 , I then knew battery would be good, lots claim hardly used ? Approx half new price . Friday first trip out to Worcester Woods,  my wife managed to load into boot of Jazz ok .

Yes I did feel somehow openly disabled ! But did also enjoy bit of freedom  & being in countryside  . I lasted approx 1hour ,scooter probably, another 5 hours . 

This was also big deal for me, as last 6 months my brain & anxiety of covid off the scale . Anxiety seems too much , not been out !

Enjoyed but fatigue , hit me . 

Keep positive David. 

Well done David! Success through adversity, many will have experienced your feelings of fatigue and anxiety. No quick fixes for any of it, but give yourself a pat on the back for these positive efforts. You have a great attitude and deserve to sleep easier tonight. 

Pat