Mobility and transport

Yes, on holiday. Went there fit and able, came back in ambulance. However, it is what it is. I have made good progress since although a second minor stroke in a May knocked my confidence. However, my exercise classes restarted today and ai got through the session quite well. Yes, the work situation is bad and likely to get worse. It is a blessing to be mortgage free.

Thanks John .

All the best David. 

I am continuing my search for a mobility scooter.  The one I hired wasn't suitable so went back the same day. Saw another at a branch of Careco again no good. Contacted a local ish company that brought two to my house,  the garden. I drove one of them that fitted my best. Really good, but for my confidence I'm going to try a larger scooter. They are prepared to bring that one to me as well. I am so impressed with their customer service. 

There one odd thing that happened when I was driving the scooter, I thought I was moving too quickly at one point and like a child riding a bike put my foot down to stop it. My right foot which is my stroke affected leg  i did it without even thinking. Didn't hurt myself I was able to move my leg and foot without any problems. It took me several minutes to realise what I did. Proof we should never give up our recovery.  I'm definitely keeping up the exercises. 

Hi, I purchased a Luggie  scooter which has been a godsend. It is a small, light scooter, that folds up quite  easily  and fits into the boot of our car (Ford Fiesta). I have left sided paralysis  but find it easy to use with one arm. It can also be taken onto a plane or Cruise  ship and folds up and fits into a bag or case (purchased  separately). My husband folds it up quite easily  and puts it into the car but my daughter has also managed to  do it on occasions. Mine is the basic model, with no arms but I would definitely  recommend  it.  www. luggiescooters.com

I prefer to  walk most of the time  but it has enabled us to travel  abroad and do things further a field that we wouldn't  otherwise have been able to do. 

Hope that helps. Good luck with your search 

Regards Sue 

Hi Kay ,I had brain stem stroke over a year ago. Bad mobility, left side weakness & extreme fatigue. NOT much improvement, time to get small scooter my wife could lift into car boot. Much research ,best reviews to read are from possible similar disabled owners, all manufacturers claim that they are the best ! I have found any shop very helpful, but overpriced, worth checking prices elsewhere. Good after care is important . Decided on Luggie elite deluxe, pros , good build quality, do not dismantle for car ,cons only one dealer ,not local for poss service ,can be bit unstable, due to being narrow, no key start ,yes I belive people  pinch them.

£3k new ,bought 1 year old £ 1,650 of e bay ,bit of a risk ,but seems ok , left arm ,hand weak , but I can use ok . Good for independence, but somehow makes me feel more disabled in public,  I need to get over myself ! 

Hope you find the one that suites you best , do update me .All the best David. 

Hi David,

My choice of scooter is limited due my extremely fuller figure.

But I take on-board all that your saying. 

Looking forward to taking myself out shopping. might even get a takeaway coffee. 

Keep safe will update you soon

Kay

Thanks Kay , Not yet managed coffee, this is definitely little treat I miss . If poss ,after using this now , I would have chosen more power, very hilly here around Malvern & also more stability, already managed to topple over ,kind lady helped me back on ,damaged pride only . Before buying was more focused on price, in hindsight can understand reasons for cost .

Thanks David.  

Hi David,

Added to my check list.

Kay ?

Finger exercises for my left side please. Also why does my left arm keep falling down? 

Touch the top of your thumb with the top of each finger in turn and repeat. Do this on and off through the day.Your arm may keep falling because the shoulder muscles have been weakened.