Memory

what is dulingo and wordle. my sister is learning spanish

2 Likes

Duolingo is a free app it has adverts but free unless you pay not to have adverts but there are so many languages to learn I like it along with other people I know

2 Likes

Bore da @tricia3, from what I understand, most people’s memories are fairly poor, damage to the brain or not. This is because most people don’t exercise their memory regularly. The brain is hardwired to take the easy route as that uses the least amount of energy, I imagine that memory function uses a fair amount of energy, so if the brain can get away with not using it, it will. Putting aside cognitive diseases like Alzheimer, memory can be trained and improved with exercises as @EmeraldEyes has suggested. I am to understand that there are different types of memory, long-term memory, short-term memory, and working memory. Long-term memory consists of all the important stuff the brain wants to archive, short-term memory is all the stuff the brain doesn’t find useful, so will disregard that anyway at some point, and working memory which is immediate. Before stroke, I read that astronauts are trained to remember seven things at once, which is about the max for short-term memory. Most people can at a push, remember three. As we age, despite any deterioration, the brain gets lazier and lazier. And I don’t really blame it, life is constantly stimulating and it gets tired more easily.

I work my memory every day. That’s why I enjoy video games, but I also try and remember at least three things at once as I go about my daily business. So, for instance yesterday at one point I walked into the kitchen, I listed three things in my mind that I needed to do, and then challenged myself to remember them. I do this almost constantly. I don’t rely on tech or notes to remind me about things as that is an easy way out for my brain and it will hardwire to rely on those things. Sometimes, I notice that my brain doesn’t want to retain some information, but that is natural, it doesn’t see it as important, even if my internal monologue tells it that I feel it is. The hippocampus is one of the most protected parts of the brain, rightly so, as memories make us who we are.

I would recommend to start training your memory, and enjoy the experience of the challenge. You may find that your memory becomes better than most people around you who haven’t experienced the trauma of brain injury. :grinning:

3 Likes

Wordle is a web based word game

Players have six attempts to guess a five-letter word, with feedback given for each guess in the form of colored tiles indicating when letters match or occupy the correct position. Wordle has a single daily solution, with all players attempting to guess the same word.

I tried it for a short time but gave up, much prefer sudoku, maze based games, mahjong, oh and Pokemon :laughing:

Playing these games are also good for hand to eye coordination as well as improving dexterity and the finer motor skills of your stroke. So I can always blame my stroke for my addictions :crazy_face:

But this one’s the favourite, Freeflow… probably because it reminds me of my brain reconnecting :laughing: You’ve basically got to connect the colours without any crossover.

2 Likes

i prefer hexingan sums i dont do as i hated maths at school, but writing i like vas i was in writing groups where ever i lived, but there doent seem to be any in day time, i am in the health and well being one tomorrow but not been for 5 weeks, albiet) cos of easter and ear infection

2 Likes

I know there are online writing groups as my daughter is in a few, she couldn’t find any where we live either. Or, better yet, start up your own writing group in the village, just thought.

Have you tried Age UK, they run local groups for the over 50s, you can find your local group from the link below. They have all sorts of activity groups such crafts, chess, bowling, sewing, exercise, etc etc etc.

And then there’s this list of stroke support groups @SimonInEdinburgh but you probably know about them. I’m with a the local SA Aphasia group and we do all sorts of activities, talks and outings.
Stroke Support Groups

1 Like

thanks but i cant drive to places, what is sa APHaisia

1 Like

SA stands for Stroke Association and Aphasia is when a person has difficulty with their language or speech. It’s usually caused by damage to the left side of the brain (for example, after a stroke). My speech been recoverin quite well but there are others in the group who are badly impaired by it…and one guy who was left with ‘foreign language syndrome’ which I wouldn’t have objected to but no such luck :frowning_face: He actually actually sounds as though he’s could be from one the Slavic countries :grinning:

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry with all these apps,
Just start remembering things around you. What three things did you have for breakfast? What three three things did your partner have? What three things do you like for breakfast? What three things does your partner have?

What are three things that need to be done with your home?

4 Likes

i can do all that, is what i did say last week , or ffortgot which day quiz was on. like yesterday as i accociated it with someone ringing from here

1 Like

i had cereal, kerfer, two cups of tea, i not =had problems with speech

1 Like

I’m afraid that’s just age, comes to all in the end :face_with_diagonal_mouth: :roll_eyes: But @Rups idea is a good one, I’ve always worked that way, never realised 'til recent years it a “thing”…as daughter would say :laughing: … the rule of 3’s :smile: Daily tasks have always been set out in 3’s for me any more than that and I’d have to make a list. Lists were good, in that once I’d written them down I wouldn’t need to look at the list again. Even the shopping list, if I forgot it, I’d still recall the majority. But I still prefer to keep them in my head :wink:

My sister is bad for lists, think she can even have lists of lists, and clocks everywhere to keep an eye time. I just have a watch, it’s just not time until I’ve looked at it…no matter how many clocks are around :laughing:

2 Likes

pete thinks i have alzimers coming. i have contacted the one who runs talking cafe and she is going to put in a word for me,i think she works in doc

2 Likes

Well there’s no harm in checking it out now is there. The doc is the best place to start. They’ll probably refer you to the memory clinic for assessment. Do you know if it runs in your family?

1 Like

It’s always possible but there are the The 7 Stages of Alzheimer’s Disease to bear in mind. I really don’t know much about the disease, and I am to understand that people’s personal scent can change because of it, just like Parkinson’s disease. It’s worth chasing things up with your GP, but also having a wee look at what it is you are forgetting regularly and possibly why.

2 Likes

thanks , peoples names in the church which i go to regularly , spelling

2 Likes

One thing I did forget to mention…hmm I wonder why…oh yeh, 'cose it’s also what I’ve got :laughing: It could also be a Aphasia, remembering and spelling are common traits with that and it’s more likely that’s what you have following your stroke.
Click on the blue link and it will take you to the SA site explaining all about it. You may find you may very well recognise some of the other symptoms listed.

1 Like

no not not got aphasia as i did a test adoc text the results

1 Like

Does Alzheimer’s run in your family, do you know? I know in the early stages they can give you B12 shots and other medications to help with such early symptoms as well as delay the onset it.

no only my mum had dementia in her 8o,s

1 Like