Meet Ollie the Orthotic

Hi @Mrs5K Good to see you’re making some progress although I imagine not as fast as you’d have liked but slow and sure must be the best way with something like this.

The neurologist seems to think my head issue is anxiety and recommends I carry on with Pregabalin (I’ve been taking it for five days) as he thinks it will help the head ‘whooziness’ as well as the burning in my hand and foot. I know it also has anti-anxiety properties.

Overall I feel it was good news.

Thank you @Tricia2 Ollie is behaving himself so far :rofl: xx

@DDMH pleased you feel like your appointment went well. Let’s hope once the pregablin has settled it eases your anxieties & in turn your head issues. Maybe some light at the end of your tunnel :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers: xxx

1 Like

Dear Ann, I just read about ollie, I have had an orthotic for the last two years to strengthen the ankle muscle on my weak left leg, it was molded to fit my large muscular leg it has stars and planets on it, I could have had other colours or skull and crossbones but it would not match my big red suit at Christmas, I have found a shoe shop which has shoes and socks which is ideal for people with orthotics but I am not too sure if I am allowed to mention it on this forum. My consultant has recently said I could have a new orthotic like yours to assist with lifting as my ankle strength is a lot better. It does assist and you will get better use in time.
johnxx

@bigjay57 your orthotic sounds great. I didn’t get offered a choice of design but as long as it works I don’t mind.
I’d be interested in the name of the shoe shop. I think you’d be ok mentioning it. I’m living in trainers at the mo but would like some suitable shoes for when I return to work.
It sounds like your orthotic has worked well which is really great to hear. Gives me some hope.
Best wishes.
Ann xx

1 Like

Hello Ann @Mrs5K. So pleased to hear you have felt there is progress. It’s bound to be tiring initially as you will be using muscles differently but that in itself suggests it is working. Wishing you all the best, Julia x

1 Like

@JuliaH thank you. I am definitely getting better heel strike when I walk but am still scuffing my foot. Early days sill though. I did manage a slightly longer walk today…Still not far though. I’m very slow but can get around. Speed I’ll hopefully follow. It’s all challenge isn’t it. Hop you’re doing ok xxxx

2 Likes

Dear Ann try Easyfit
JOHNXX

That’s great thanks John @bigjay57 x

Hi Loraine, @Loshy thank you. Its going ok so far. If I could just stop my foot scuffing when I walk it’d be great :grin: ill just keep practicing & hopefully it’ll come. Hope you’re OK xxxx

1 Like

Hope you get on okam in essex with sister til 29th brother and sisterinlaw have covid

Thank you @tricia3
Hope you’re doing ok in Essex and that your brother and sister in law aren’t too poorly with Covid. Take it easy xx

I’ve had Ollie just over a month now and whilst i am able to walk a little bit further i am still not able to lift my foot and still dragging it along.

Ollie has enabled me to keep my toes up when walking and i am heel striking better but no joy with lifting.

I have spent the last week researching what i can do to try and get my leg lifting and am now going back to basics and pretty much starting from the beginning again.

I have these 2 new bits of kit in my exercise portfolio.

The band i am using to help lift my foot. Just repeating and repeating and repeating in the hope that my brain eventually remembers that my leg is there and how to lift it itself. The piece of wood is to practice stepping over in the hope that if i crack that lifting and taking a stride when walking will then happen more naturally.

So far I’ve managed to kick the piece of wood, step on it and with an enormous amount of concentration & effort stepped over it once. Once is progress so i’ll take that.

Here’s to more success. If this doesn’t work i have no idea what i’ll do next. :thinking::thinking:

3 Likes

Hi Loraine, thank you. I’m very determined to get there…just running out of ideas & patience now :rofl:

Thank you for the hug. Here’s one in return for you :hugs::hugs:

Have a lovely Sunday.

Ann xxx

1 Like

Hi Mrs5k-- The fact that you stepped over it once, shows that your brain has the wiring to begin to get the job done. Each time you can do it, reinforces your brain and builds more connections from it to the various muscles involved–the more connections, the easier the job. Just keep plugging away. It’s so hard, I know. I also had electro- stimulation to my foot and leg with a tens unit to wake up the nerves to reconnect with the brain. I think you can buy them pretty reasonably over the net. They don’t “shock” you, but can be set to a gentle buzz. It’s no guarantee, but just another method of therapy. I really enjoyed using it in the hospital. I like your spirit. Best wishes. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

1 Like

@axnr911 hi Jeanne, thats what i’m hoping. However difficult the first time was if i keep going it should eventually get easier. Anyone who knows me knows that i’ll never give up.
I hadn’t thought about a tens machine. Its definitely worth considering and if nothing else it might give my dodgy leg a massage :grin::grin:
Best wishes

Ann xx

1 Like

@Mrs5K good for you to keep persevering.It must be getting difficult to motivate yourself.

I know my situation is obviously nowhere near as bad but I also had drop foot that I was originally given a brace for. I found it didn’t help very much and took ages to put on as it went in the laces of my trainers (try tying laces with no feeling in one hand!). So I didn’t use it, instead I concentrated like mad on pointing my toes upwards while walking. It was absolutely draining (bear with me there is a point to this monologue).

I have recently been having some sessions with a neuro OT and discussing and recording fatigue levels. Last week I went for a walk and thought I would try to not focus so much energy on holding my toes up. I managed about 2 miles an didn’t scuff my foot once! I’m not saying this would work for you but thought I’d let you know that after the best part of a year & half of really focusing on my foot, it now seems to be starting to become more automatic.

I’m sorry to harp on for such a long post but wanted to try and give some hope that eventually you may actually find you will get to a point where it becomes automatic. I still can’t feel much sensation in my foot but you wouldn’t necessarily notice.

Keep up the positive attitude, even when it seems impossible. I’m sure you will get there eventually (& will take great pleasure launching Ollie into a skip!).

1 Like

@Ingo66 thank you for sharing your experience. It gives me hope that i can get there. I am trying not to lose motivation but some days i’m ready to just accept its not going to change. My brace is easy to put on as doesnt go near my laces but it must have been frustrating for you trying to put yours on with your hand issues too. My brace does stop my toes pointing down but my leg just won’t lift…almost like my foot is glued to the floor. I’ve lost count of how many socks i’ve worn holes in & shoes too :grin:
Its great to hear that after all your hard work you seem to have cracked the foot scuffing issue. I look forward to being able to report the same in the future. I have the skip ready & waiting :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Awww thank you @Loshy I’m blushing now :blush::blush::blush::blush:

1 Like

Thanks @Loshy , it does seem after such a long time that there has been progress. I have been so fixated on concentrating to lift properly that I hadn’t realised my brain may have sussed it out now.

I really hope they can find a better solution for you @Mrs5K that helps you lift that leg. Otherwise a string attached to your arm it will have to be (sorry that was mean and uncalled for). Let’s hope you can bin Ollie soon.

1 Like