Meet Ollie the Orthotic

Meet Ollie the Orthotic

I have today been for an AFO & walking assessment as I’m struggling to walk as can’t lift my left leg. When I walk my foot drags. Not only is it exhausting but it restricts how far I can go & wears holes in my shoes & socks :rofl:

Walking Practice with Ollie will begin in earnest tomorrow. I’ll be reviewed in 3 months with a view to progressing on to the next stage (whatever that is).

I’m really really hoping this works as seems like, if it doesn’t, my options are limited.

Have a good evening everyone xx

6 Likes

@Loshy @Mahoney thank you. I have my hopes pinned on Ollie. They did say it isn’t going to help with all my walking issues but hopefully if it sorts some the rest will follow. I’m determined to get my walking sorted & see this as a positive step forward (no pun intended :grin:). I was so active pre-stroke & I’d love to get some of that back. Will let you know how I get on.
Having a lovely evening both.
Best wishes xxxx

2 Likes

I so hope this works for you it sounds promising :pray: I also echo everything @Loshy said :two_hearts:xxx

1 Like

@DDMH thank you so much. Have all my fingers crossed it’ll work :crossed_fingers: certainly won’t be for want of trying. I love walking & so want to start going for walks again :grin: hope you’re doing OK xxxx

2 Likes

@Mrs5K ,Good luck with Ollie, I hope the two of you will be very happy together :grin:

2 Likes

@Ingo66 me too :rofl::rofl::rofl: my new friend :grin::grin:

1 Like

I hope this works for you, I have numerours afo,s or splints, they did work for me.
I have tried numerous different appliances over the years, since I had a Brain Haemorrhage in 1996, to help with my spastic leg, foot drop, toeclawing and ankle turning over. A few months ago I asked my rehabilitation doctor if there was anything else. I am now waiting for a couple of operations on my toes and ankle.
It has been very hard going, but I am still here fighting. Carry on the fight :+1:

2 Likes

@Crick thank you. Sounds like you’ve had a lot to overcome. I hope the operations help so you can improve some more. Keep up the fight. Thank you again.

2 Likes

I was given an FES machine. I now have an ankle support that lifts my drop foot.

@John_Jeff_Maynard I was assessed for FES but it wasn’t suitable for me sadly. It just turned my foot inwards but didn’t really lift it. Was very weird.
Good to hear your ankle support helps your drop foot.

1 Like

Hi. This is something I have not heard of. I hope you have success with it. God bless and thinking of you tonight. Love Lilian

Thank you Lilian @l_platt it’s meant to help lift the foot…mine seems to be very attached to the floor :grinning: Best wishes Ann xx

1 Like

I hope it provides some progress with your recovery. Don’t forget to think about your foot lifting while you use it, to make a connection between the action and the command. :+1::grinning:

1 Like

@Mrs5K I’d repeat what Rups just said. Try lifting your knee. I have to make an effort to remember at each step but it does keep your foot off the floor as you move that leg forward. I also fall back to trailing again as I get tired. With a degree of effort it is possible to improve your gait. I’ve been managing with no physio available so finding my own way. Physio’s told me just to stay sat in the chair then stopped coming around. Not good enough.
I am struggling and making slow progress on my own.
Just practice pulling your knee up. You can do that lying in bed, sitting, as well as standing up. Then try it as you step forward with that leg. Your step will improve, but it does take effort to maintain and easy to ‘forget’.
I hope that helps a little.
Physio’s would probably advise against it, but it has got me toddling around a little with and without rollator. I hasten to add this is just from my own experience not from any professional instruction. The professional route had left me still unable to walk and instructed me to stay in the safety of my wheel chair.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I have to do all the time . But at least it works for me but it is tiring having to concentrate on keeping the toes up every step
I do wonder what people think when they see me walking with such a strained look on my face. Twice as bad when I’m carrying a cup of tea!

3 Likes

You could try with a cup of tea balanced on your head? @Ingo66 :crazy_face:
I think this is the real problem, now walking involves thinking about each step. Maybe one day it will return to just being an ‘automatic’ function? It would be nice to think so.

4 Likes

Mrs. 5k-- I was fitted for an AFO in the hospital, right after my stroke in order to begin physical therapy. I used it for several weeks, but eventually I began to be able to do my therapy without it. Finally, I put it aside competely. This may not be the case for everyone, but I guess it helped my brain/body learn where my foot should be positioned when I walked. Over time I began to feel that it was interfering with even better walking, and I was able to do without it. I hope that’s the way it is for you, too. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

2 Likes

@Rups thank you. I’m really hoping this works. I want to enjoy my walks again. In the meantime I enjoy seeing the pics of your foraging. :grin:

1 Like

Thank you @Bobbi I do all that you have suggested & more. Sadly my problem seems a bit more complicated. I have full range of movement in my leg if someone moves it for me. If I lie on a bed I can bend my knee etc etc. The physio & stroke consultant tell me that my stroke has triggered a condition called functional Neurological Disorder/ functional limb weakness. In effect this means my leg is ok but the signals from the brain are getting scrambled and not telling the leg to work properly. It’s really weird but for some reason my leg will just not lift off the bed on its own & my toes won’t leave the floor however hard I try. I’ve had many tears of frustration & exasperation in the last few months.
I can’t believe you are still waiting for a physio it’s been a long time now. I do admire your determination though and you’re doing so well & have come a long way. You should be very proud of yourself.

1 Like

Hi Jeanne @axnr911 I’m really hoping that’s the same for me. Hope Ollie gets my walking better then it triggers my brain to do the rest automatically. I can but try. Wishing you all the best. Ann xx

1 Like