Meet Ollie the Orthotic

@Ingo66 I think many a stroke survivor has that look when trying to walk. It does take an awful lot of concentration & like you say add a cuppa into the mix & it’s a whole new level. I only half fill cups now else I leave a trail down the hall :rofl:
I now have an image of lots of screwed up faces as we all walk around :grin::grin:
Enjoy your day.

2 Likes

Morning @Mrs5K. I know you will give this your best. You have such a positive attitude. Trying is all we can do, so just keep trying. I love the name by the way, Julia x

1 Like

@JuliaH thank you. That’s very kind. Will definitely give it my best. I really am hoping this is the trigger I need to get my walking sorted. I figured if he was going to be my new friend I’d better give him a name :rofl::rofl:
Enjoy your day xxx

1 Like

I have a similar effect in my hand and arm. I do believe the connections can reconnect, Unfortunately my experence shows they can also disconnect again. With bloody minded perseverance you can again make recovery. I think physios can only point in a direction, it is up to the individual to set off on that repair journey. I struggle on with my hand and arm sometimes slipping back then miraculously finding improvement even if only a little at a time.

All the best, I’m sure you will get out for a walk, just . . .

Keep on keepin’ on

:smiley:

3 Likes

Hi don’t give up. It will get easier

2 Likes

Bobbi I too am the same, have been referred to muscular skeletal physio by my GP to get my left arm moving to the way it was, hand sporadically gives new movements

1 Like

I’m a stroke survivor since February 2020. I have tried various AFOs and ankle supports to counter my foot drop and help walking. About a month ago I got a TurboMed and what a great bit of kit it is! I’ve doubled my maximum walking distance to 2 miles (with a walking pole) and can manage shorter distances unaided. I also have no use of my left arm and hand. That I can generally get by with but the lack of mobility was the worse part of disablement and now that aspect has substantially improved.

1 Like

@Colint someone else mentioned the turbomed to me too. I will have to look into it. Sounds like it has made a massive difference for you. I took Ollie for his first walk outside today. Didn’t go very far but went ok. I didn’t realise just how tiring having an AFO would be.
Beat wishes.

1 Like

There’s actually a Facebook group for Turbomed users. You might like to take a look at it…

1 Like

Well I’ve had Ollie for a few days now & been for physio this morning. She is happy that Ollie has already improved my walking although I still have some issues. Its been an adventurous week getting used to wearing Ollie. It restricts me a bit when descending stairs & I just about stopped myself tumbling down them yesterday. Must remember to think harder when coming down stairs. :thinking: I did take Ollie for a little walk outside yesterday & managed ok albeit slowly. The sloping road was difficult but no pavements by me so persevered & did ok. I didn’t realise though how tiring wearing Ollie would be.
Early signs are positive. Still can’t lift my leg & stride length is rubbish but hoping time will improve it.
Have a good weekend everyone & thank you for all your support.

Ann xx

2 Likes

I’m so pleased you’ve found some improvement wearing Ollie. It’s early days and sounds encouraging for going forward as you get more used to using her/him.

What gender is Ollie by the way? :blush:

@DDMH thank you. Ollie is a he :blush::blush: hope you’re feeling a bit better today xxx

1 Like

Thank you Loraine, @Loshy I’m really pleased I’m getting on ok with Ollie. Lots more practice needed but definitely up for that. Xx

2 Likes

Mrs 5K You’re on you way–no stopping you now!

@axnr911 awww thank you. I don’t know where you get all the pics from but they always make me smile :relaxed: thank you xxx

Dear Mrs5K,
I look forward to hearing of your progress with Ollie (My great-grandson shares the name!) It is a truism that no stroke survivors are alike. The point is that we are survivors!
I am hemiplegic. I broke my hip two years after the stroke. I have learned to walk with a stick, but it took dedication from my physiotherapists over some time, about fifteen years ago,
May you have every success in your endeavours
Yours aye,
Geoffrey.
:pray: :pray: :pray:

@Geoffrey many thanks for your words of encouragement. Sounds like you had some good physios who spent the time with you that was needed.
Best wishes.

Ann

How’s it going with Ollie?

@DDMH it’s going ok thank you. I think I wore him a bit long yesterday as got sore foot. Wore him a but less today & that has helped the foot. I’ve seen a little bit of progress so really hoping this continues.
How are you doing now? Did you speak to the neurologist about your horrible head pains?
xxx

1 Like

Hi Ollie, I know that you’ll help :blush: all you can. You will get tiered but don’t worry you are in safe :heart: hands. Happy Walking 🚶‍♂ stay positive. Love from Triciax

1 Like