Kitchen again - South African Bobotie - you must try

BOBOTIE

A must try dish

Prep:30 mins - Cook:40 mins - Easy - Serves 4 - Bobbi recommended

Pronounced ba-boor-tea, the national dish of South Africa is a delicious mixture of curried meat and fruit with a creamy golden topping, not dissimilar to moussaka

INGREDIENTS
( some alternatives in brackets)

1 slice white bread
1 onion, chopped
12g butter
1 garlic clove, crushed
500g packet lean minced beef (250g pork mince+250g beef mince 20%fat)
50g cheese, grated
1 tbsp Madras curry paste
1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
2 cloves
3 allspice berries (crushed) (or 1 tsp mixed spice)
1 tbsp peach or mango chutney (apple sauce+strawberry jam )
2 tbsp sultana (maybe a few chopped dates)
3 bay leaves

FOR THE TOPPING
150ml full-cream milk
sprinkling of cheese
1 large egg

METHOD

STEP 1
Heat oven to fan 160°C. Pour cold water over the bread and set aside to soak.

STEP 2
Meanwhile, fry the onions in the butter, stirring regularly for 10 mins until they are soft and starting to colour.
Add the garlic and beef and stir well, crushing the mince into fine grains until it changes colour.
Stir in the cheese, curry paste, herbs, spices, chutney, sultanas and a bay leaf with 1 tsp salt and plenty of ground black pepper.

STEP 3
Cover and simmer for 10 mins. Squeeze the water from the bread, then beat into the meat mixture until well blended.
Tip into an oval ovenproof dish (24cm x 17cm and about 5-6cm deep).
Press the mixture down well and smooth the top. You can make this and chill, 1 day ahead.

STEP 4
For the topping, beat the milk, cheese and eggs with seasoning, then pour over the meat.
Top with the remaining bay leaves and bake for 35-40 mins until the topping is set and starting to turn golden.

Serve with some roasted tomatoes and garlic and a nice mixed fried vegetable rice.

We have made this a few times, it makes a nice change. We’ve run out of mince, used up making the meatloaf, also very nice, so no photos, will have to wait until next we shop.

There is room for modification in this recipe. Marmite develops flavour as does Tamarind paste. You can vary the fruit used and some include nuts.

5 Likes

You had me at curried meat :drooling_face:

Have never come across a recipe like this before so I can’t wait to give it a try, thanks Bobbi! :star_struck:

4 Likes

This recipe is very easy, very easy to get right too. Plus it is a tasty dish. I’m sure you will come back again and again.
It is worth checking out on the internet. It is a recipe where everyone has his or her own version. There are a number of possibilities that are worth a try.

In mine I put in a couple of ounces of cheese, something that goes well in burger mixes, meatloaf too, it really bumps up the flavour.

2 Likes

Oh i was really hopeful this might becsomething i’d enjoy. I only got to step 1 … i can’t cope with soggy bread :nauseated_face: so couldn’t do that bit. Can it be made without the bread? Failing that I’ll just have to get someone else to make it & I’ll just eat it :rofl:

2 Likes

You have made me want to cook, again. Pre-strokes I did that a lot and was involved in a MeetUp group cooking International foods, either as a group or bringing it to a dinner. We even had Master Chef contests. So much fun. So far, I have only made microwave stuff (yuck!) Ramen, omelettes, spaghetti with jarred sauce, and grilled cheese. I am certainly not starving for calories, only for taste. Maybe soon, I will get back on the wagon. For now, it seems like too much to plan for, accomplish, then clean up. (I don’t get to grocery shop and mind has too much to keep up at the moment). I hope to see more of your recipes.

3 Likes

I can’t cope well with any of my previous stroke

2 Likes

I hope you, like me, at least enjoy looking at the recipes and what others are getting back to as you are healing. Some days its tough, frustrating me that I am not there yet. Other days, it gives me hope for what can be again.

1 Like

I think of dark fudged

@Mrs5K Don’t let the bread bit knock you over. It is very necessary.

Think of it like this, the same but different:
Add breadcrumbs made from 1 slice of bread. Add liquid (could be beer, wine, stock, or water) as much liquid as it would take to wet the breadcrumbs.
They are there to replace any liquid that evaporates during cooking and will stop the mixture from getting dry. It is a bit like the bread used to bulk out sausage, without it the texture is all wrong, not juicy but dry. It isn’t for thinking about, it is for eating.

Please give it a try, it is very tasty and a nice change from other mince recipes, if you share it you are sure to impress, they will be asking for more.

HeHe, be brave . . .

Keep on keepin’ on
:bread: :cook: :plate_with_cutlery:

3 Likes

Too much garlic not rain

1 Like