Gadding about

My mobility is pretty restricted. Weakness on right side. I have been able to stand quite firmly for some time, but walking has been limited to short sessions with a physio.
My physio entitlement ran out a few weeks ago. I decided to risk all and shift my wheelchair a couple of steps away from the bed, about as far as I can push it with a brake on.
When I get up in the morning I have to take those couple of steps to get sat in the chair. It is a wobbly process. There is no rush and I have been doing that each morning for a week or two now. I feel reasonably confident doing it.
I’m one of those people who doesn’t heed warnings and always have to give things a try, even if cautiously.
So I’ve been warned not to try pushing my wheelchair around as a support when trying to walk. I was also told not to use a zimmer frame that had been supplied to me.
In my view of things if I get a distance walking then the option of a sit down is always there with the chair whereas the zimmer offers no such security.
So a couple of days ago I started moving with the wheelchair. Very wobbly at times but I reckon things will improve with practice and they should improve just as my ability to stand did. Just a little at a time.

I know, I know, a rollator would be a better idea. The thought is slowly filtering through my addled brain . . .

Still trying to enjoy life,
take care, you lot,

bob

4 Likes

I love reading your posts Bob they are inspiring :pray:

2 Likes

Hi @Bobbi. We have to try stuff, take considered risks, some one can’t be with us 24/7. Always being aware of what could go wrong but not allowing it to completely stifle confidence is how I try and go on. Can’t advise on a rollator but hoping your positive attitude pays dividends, Julia x

1 Like

@DDMH is that a polite way of saying my posts are full of bullxxxx ? You’re probably right, I do go on a bit and I do 'like the sound of my own keyboard
Sorry I’m being naughty - I appreciate your comment and I’m pleased that my posts do please (sounds like I’ve got a Beatles song coming on)
thank you, again, bob

2 Likes

@JuliaH Thanks for your interest Julia and yes I think life is for taking a chance once in a while. The benefits surely outweigh the knocks? You won’t know if you don’t check it out . . .
. . . nowt wrong with a sprinkle of caution, though

:smiley: bob

1 Like

@Bobbi I too like reading your posts. Your positivity is great. I was interested to read your physio entitlement has run out. Surely not if you are not yet mobile? Is this just your home sessions? Have you been referred on elsewhere?
I had 6 weeks of home physio but then got referred to neuro physio at the hospital. 6 months later I am still attending physio. I am more mobile than you. I don’t expect it to continue much longer but I’m surprised someone who isn’t yet walking isn’t still getting physio.
Good on you for taking all the calculated risks though. I have no doubt you’ll get there.

2 Likes

Paul’s heading Glasto tomorrow night - a good excuse for a singalong of a few… :grinning:

1 Like

You are right, Mrs, I believe there are more sessions from a different direction available to me.
It will be a few months before anything is going to happen, though, or so I heard.
But by then I will have strung a long rope between a couple of lamp posts down our road and be tight-rope walking every afternoon amidst applause from the neighbours. :crazy_face:

Hi Bob-It’s only by using your body that you get stronger and rewire your brain. That said, for me they started me with a walker. I increased the distance gradually. I think a walker with a seat would be a great transition tool away from the wheelchair. (I can see how walking with a wheelchair could be dangerous.) After I did the walker for a few weeks, I became strong enough to use a quad cane. Over months of therapy I graduated to a regular cane. Then to no cane. Your positive attiude is the essential factor in healing and improving. I predict you will amaze yourself some day when you look back and see how far you’ve come. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

2 Likes

@Bobbi now that I’d like to see. :rofl::rofl:
On a serious note though I hope you don’t have to wait too long for your next stage of physio. In the meantime keep challenging yourself & surprise the physios with how far you’ve come.

1 Like

Physio support after stroke is very variable. In Worcestershire I was very luck. I had physio at hospital and six weeks physio at home. This was daily for a month and a few days for the last two weeks. I was given exercises to do every day in my own time and I did them twice a day. After that I was referred back to my rehab hospital for one session a week and that lasted 9 months. I then went to a weekly class at our Life After Stroke Centre for two years. However, it was very repetitive and did not involve progression.

I then found a local active seniors class for over 60s. Our trainer always encourages us to work to our capacity. We can exercise seated or standing. If standing we can hold on to the back of the chair for balance. This class has been so beneficial that I go three times a week. I also stretched the limit of my own walking, with a stick, and wear an ankle support because I have drop foot. I never rush but go at my own pace.

Six years ago I never dreamt that I would get this far. Motto is persistence pays off.

1 Like

Hi Bob your a year older than me so we have a good few years ahead of us and your positive attitude to gain more mobility is inspirational. I attend a stroke support group and there are a couple there who’s attitude is to keep pushing. I feel a bit of a fraud having no physical disability just visual problems and the frustrating head which we all suffer from in different ways. My gadding about problem is being to ambitious and not knowing when to switch off,resulting in a melt downs with much swearing in garage or quiet place then a few days under a cloud of my own making. Can’t crack it yet,but have time on my side and like you a good supporter

1 Like

@Pds
While I was in hospital I saw a variety of manifestations of the thing we call stroke.
I misunderstood most of what I saw and didn’t really know what I was looking at and generally I was very uncharitable in my view of others.
Over time I began to realise how very different a given stroke case can be when compared to another. Some symptoms are ‘recognisable’ and some are not at all obvious. I would say though that the severity, the difficulties they produce are all massively life changing and a person who has had a stroke has something that cannot be ignored and that requires much work in coping with the outcome.
Having said that it is humanly possible to take it on, the evidence from the experiences of those who have written here shows it is worth making the effort.
To take this on it is definitely an advantage to feel there is some support, so be willing to give sympathy, advice and share your journey, but also be able to receive the love too. There is much strength here that we can grow and share.
. . . and if today you just feel grouchy and disgruntled, know that you will move to something more settled, nothing stands still, you can’t stay in one mode continuously.
You’ll see things differently and hopefully it will make some sort of sense.
Whatever, as always,
keep on keeping on :slightly_smiling_face:
bob

3 Likes

Hi John, Worcester, I am not far , in Malvern. Any local ideas/ places to visit . I am very limited. My wife & I go in car , can only manage max half hour. Short walk 10 min walk, with rollator, or 45 min on scooter. Found good cafe in Worcester Woods. Also level path along river, in Worcester. Used to hike up Malvern Hills,nope not now . Came from North Devon, so not really locals. My little, simple treat, to get out . Always good chatting David.

2 Likes

Hi David3 big bro in your neck of woods visited Royal Worcester museum which was fantastic and managed to get up to British camp Iron Age hill fort but coming down with dodgy knees was no joke but they have settled down now, love that area, cider country. When I made my own cider would take a trailer load of logs from Sussex/Hampshire border to my bro and return with it full of cider apples :hugs: Did you solve your rat in roof problem ? Not in our roof yet but one visits our patio cheeky monkey. Glad to hear you get out and about. Pds

1 Like

Hi David. We try to get out and about but places vary in accessibility. Worcester County Museum at Hartlebury has a lift to all floors. Compton Verney near Stratford has excellent disabled access. Hidcote Manor gardens is partly accessible by mobility scooter. Do you have a blue badge? They are a great help. We also do gardens open under the National Garden Scheme. Each garden always gives information about accessibility

1 Like

Dear Bobbi,

If I read you aright, you seem to have the use of your right arm and hand. Would a stroller enable you to walk as you did with your wheelchair but with inherent stability?

I wish I could use one but I’m fully hemiplegic and one hand won’t do it!

Good luck,
Yours aye,
Geoffrey.

1 Like

Hi , Malvern Hills great, used to love walking our Cairn terrier up. Sadly , no longer here & much missed. Hills, not a possibility, think scooter would start smoking :joy: . No rats, in loft for a while . Hope you’re settling into your bungalow well. Not getting too expensive. Good talking David.

1 Like

Hi John, blue badge, just renewed. Problem I have , is passenger in car only , MAX half hour, too much for brain & either almost shuts down or feel sick . Although my wife can put scooter in car , very limited to travel time. Shame, moved to Malvern/ Worcester, for countryside, now struggling to see it . Worcester Woods, near hospital, favourite. Good speaking David.

1 Like

Hi David next expense wood burner that can take a kettle and saucepan, wood should not be a problem . Have tree surgeon chum and have access to a couple of copses. Am blessed to be still able to get about, will never drive again ,just have to watch my step and keep scanning left. Still not ventured very far on own and must summon up the sleeping Viking to catch bus into market town. Spoke to local vicar about rats, yes he says he’s been here 20 years and never a shortage ! Close to farmland that crops maize spuds and pumpkins, ideal rat habitat. But still rather be out in sticks than town. On top of garden, just and starting to crop veg.keep posting pds

1 Like