Gadding about

I am weak on my right side, I can stand quite firmly on both legs. My arm and hand on the right have part mobility. I think this is why physio’s are unhappy about me using ‘two hand’ devices.
I haven’t the confidence or even the stability yet perhaps to use a walking stick.
Using a two handed device, I do get some control with my weak side, which is a little better, more solid, than a walking stick.
I am at the moment shuffling around on a wheel chair, which I have also been told not to do. I live my life in one small room, anything I do to expand my horizon is discouraged. Come on ! ! A convict gets more freedom than this.
Thanks for your interest. As I said I have some use of the weak side and my thinking is that use might improve my ability.

2 Likes

These are examples of a safer alternative to the wheelchair. I found them at CareCo but I dare say there are others,

1 Like

Using it improves it. My left side was paralyzed, so they really worked on that. I used a “hand bicycle” with my weak hand tied to the pedal so it wouldn’t slip off. Did that for three weeks every day. When I could come home and acquired “some” use of the weak side, I worked on that. I made myself reach for things, eat ,etc. with that hand/arm every day., nor matter how slow I was. Used therapy putty and lifted small 1 or 2 lb weights while watching TV. My weak side gradually got stronger. So hang in there! :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

1 Like

Hi Bob
How are you getting on?
Anne

1 Like

Hi Bob I love to read you posts. I like your humour. I am struggling to walk again after my recent stay in hospital. I can relate to what you write. I am walking each day a few steps further with my rollator with seat and when it it time for you to try. I would recommend one for you. I have tried a zimmer but found it difficult. Keep on trying. We are all with you.Love Lilian.

1 Like

Hello to you too,
You know they say no news is good news, so this is me here trying not to have anything to say.

I’m still doing the wobbly walk and have on occasions almost managed a pirouet while pushing the wheelchair, causing my wife a great deal of worry.

It worries me that one day she will succeed trying to make a grab to save me. I would then most likely fall right on top of her and squash her flat. Who would make me a marmalade sandwich then?

This recuperating thing does cause worry, but not doing it causes worry too. I suppose we could always distract ourselves by looking out for the light at the end of the tunnel. We could also try to remember why it seemed such a good idea to get into a tunnel in the first place.

Its cloudy out and looking like rain. I think I’ll just stay in and have another marmalade butty.

I hope all is well with you.
keep on keepin on
bob

1 Like

@l_platt

I hope things are picking up a bit now you are out of hozzy. Home sweet home, that’s the place to be.

Do a little every day. I keep trying stuff but don’t have the will to settle into a proper training routine.

This afternoon I put the Mrs in front of a Zoom Reiki session, she gets a lot out of that, helps deal with the stressing and the fretting, caused undoubtedly by yours truly.
Meanwhile I played about for an hour with some of that physio putty, trying to get my fingers going a bit.

Then we had a joint session in the kitchen. We both ended up worn out, she didn’t like what I made and I had to agree that she would make the meal tomorrow.

I had an hour in bed, then got up and had a look at the Forum.

That’s me up to date,
all the best Lilian

bob

1 Like

I know this doesn’t belong in here but I just had to . . .

2 Likes

Bobbi. I love your picture about Boris. I have shared it with my friends on Facebook. It is good that you tried to help. I have let my husband take over. I know my limitations! Enjoy being looked after and keep on smiling. You keep me amused. That seems to be your gift at present. Love Lilian xx

4 Likes

A little more news. On the subject of the wobbly walk.
This morning I was feeling very adventurous.
I shouted to the Mrs to come here and watch this!

When she arrived, I got up out of bed and started to walk to my dressing gown which was on a chair across the room.
Then still standing I put on the dressing gown and walked back to where my wheel chair was parked and sat down.

Yah hay !! Still a bit wobbly but definitely an improvement. She gave me a smile of encouragement. Wow !

Later after a bit of late breakfast I walked my wheelchair, again, back into the room with the tv, where we watched Rick Stein, cooking shellfish, lobster and other fish in exotic locations. We were waiting for the Mens’ Semi-finals at Wimbledon to begin.

A voice from somewhere said ‘You’re asleep.’ ‘Oh yes,’ I replied and agreed maybe I should go back to bed for an hour.

. . .but first to record this minor triumph on the Forum. :smiley:

Keep on keepin’ on,
All the best,
bob

For @l_platt :kissing_heart: and anyone else who sent me a :heart:

. . .and so to bed.

3 Likes

@Bobbi that’s a fantastic achievement. You’re doing really well. By the time you get your next lot of physio you’ll have improved loads. :grin: we’ll done :partying_face::partying_face:

1 Like

Hi Bobble. Well done. This is the beginning of your walking. Tomorrow one more step!! I have just been out in my powered wheelchair and now watching Norris . Love Lilian

1 Like

Thanks to the two of you, the encouragement is much appreciated.

I’ll be breaking into a run very soon . . . :smiley:

Hi BoB that’s more than gadding about ! Now don’t go over doing it if Norris wins. But such a positive post that will inspire others

1 Like

I keep going back to my first ‘fall’ when I was in hospital. A doctor examined me to ensure there was no major damage done. He told me I would be fine and as an aside added ‘If you continue to make progress there will likely be more incidents’. I’m a very cautious person and I took this as advice that to move on I would need to be prepared to take a knock every once in a while. Bearing this in mind I can see it has worked well for me and I have achieved a little progress.
So thanks to that doctor I seem to be moving ahead, if slowly.

So happy to hear this news!

Well done you :pray:

1 Like

Thanks Loshy. Considering how much time in the past months that I have spent sat down or laid down I will no doubt be a lot weaker.
Slowly building up strength again will be what I must do, as you suggest.
. . . and rest, plenty of it too I reckon.

:+1: :smiley:

2 Likes

Yay @Bobbi. It’s no small thing and the start of who knows what. You should be and imagine are very pleased with yourself. You keep on👍 Julia x

1 Like

Bob -That is so great! I remember when I was first able to walk. Such a grand feeling. You are doing great, and I so happy for you. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:

1 Like

Well I gone and done it, tight wad that I am, there’s a rollator due for delivery now, next week.
I have a feeling, though, that my Mrs is lusting after it, she saw them in the days before my stroke, as we walked around the supermarket, being used by an occasional shopper. She frequently passed the comment that she would ‘quite like one of them.’
If you see a guy with a wobbly walk tussling with his wife over who gets control of the ‘wheely thing’ down one of the supermarket aisles, then that could easily be us.
I’ll probably be religated to pushing the shopping trolley, as ever.
:smiley: :footprints: