Footwear

Am learning to walk again with a quad stick. Am progressing reasonably well ! Am I going to have to wear an AFO and trainers for ever I am a Chuck on sandals sort of person 

Just wondering.  How do you know you'll need an AFO forever?  Have you tried not using it a little during rehab?  I'm won- dering if you can't be weaned off it gradually?   I know everyone is different, but here's my experience.  Totally paralyzed on left side.  Had AFO  at first as I used walker for a few weeks.  Then quad stick for a few weeks. Then cane for a few months.  During rehab as I was learning to walk correctly, I wanted to try it without the AFO. The therapist didn't want me to take it off, but she let me try.  I never used it again after that.  For many months after therapy I would practice a few steps at a time,  adding 50 or so every week or so.  I am now 3 years out from my stroke and am able to walk about 1 1/2 miles a day.  I know everyone's outcome is different.  But I only mention this because I'm glad I didn't listen to my physical therapist, or I might never have tried.  Whatever will be will be, but don't limit yourself in your mind or let others limit you. smileyJeanne

This is encouraging Jeanne thank you x

Did you lose use of your arm too? 

My experience was similiar except that it  was my right side affected and I'm right handed. I was fortunate that toe dropping was only slight in my case and I was able to overcome it quickly. The only rehab I had was self made at home. I was out of hospital in a few days because it was just prior to Xmas and everything was shutting down plus the fact that I'd had my spleen removed six months earlier and hospitals are full of germs so the doctors felt that I was safer at home!

I used a walker in hospital but refused to have one at home being ultra stubborn. I'm now in my seventh year of recovery and can match your walking plus have managed to recover my ability to play the guitar (Though rather badly). My speech and my brain are the worst affected by the stroke and I have used a stroke chat room a lot during recovery where I can mingle with others with simiiar communication  problems.

I've got to add that stroke affects everyone differently as also is the severity. The fact that I've managed to do these things does not mean everyone could do them. I've met victims who have completely recovered and others that are totally handicapped. Everyone has their own limits.

Deigh

Deigh- so glad to hear you're doing well  and can "match my walking plus"wink! It's good to hear how well a person can do with perseverance.  My best to you as you proceed to do better and better.  smiley Jeanne

Thank you deigh I'm struggling a bit atthe moment! Can't see any worthwhile future!! X

Jane. My first stroke left me with drop foot and walking was difficult. I then got an FES machine which improved walking enormously but gave me an allergic skin reaction. Then, miraculously, my drop foot cured itself, until my second mild stroke brought it back. I now have an elastic aged ankle support by Orliman, which lifts the foot and makes walking much easier.

I use a stick outside, but was told not to use it in the house. I am sorry your moods still fluctuate, but even I have bad moments. I hope things improve soon.

Jane. My first stroke left me with drop foot and walking was difficult. I then got an FES machine which improved walking enormously but gave me an allergic skin reaction. Then, miraculously, my drop foot cured itself, until my second mild stroke brought it back. I now have an elastic aged ankle support by Orliman, which lifts the foot and makes walking much easier.

I use a stick outside, but was told not to use it in the house. I am sorry your moods still fluctuate, but even I have bad moments. I hope things improve soon.

Will give it s go thank you! 

Just read your post hope things improve prayers with you des x

Shopping for  AFO  it's difficult the ones on NHS are awful very cumbersome they don't give advice on buying shoes  I went to Clarks found shoes that are lighter you may have to go a size bigger but the AFO  are more comfortable if you a sandal person go to hotter I picked a nice pair for£20 in the sale of course but it's trial  and error good luck

I can understand that Jane, cant think of anything to say that will help you except that just surviving one day at a time, in fact, if pushed, one hour at a time are situations that all stroke survivors have to face at some time, so 'just stay with it' is my advice.........been there, done that!

Deigh

I'm sorry about that, I was in a boasting mode and one of the great things about this forum is being able to hold ones own in a conversation when one has talking difficulties! I can handle one-on-one conversations providing the other person can tolerate my difficulties but get in a group and I just have to shut up and listen....something I'm having to get used to!

Deigh

Thank you deigh. It's hard sometimes'n

How bad was your stroke deigh?

initially to me devastating...here is an exerpt from my memoirs.......

I woke on Friday 19 December 2014 about 6 am with a very dry mouth. I picked up the bedside plastic lemonade filled cup and tried to drink. Most of it spilled onto the bed. I went back to sleep for a few minutes and decided to get up for a pee. I had great problems manoeuvring myself out of bed and pinned it down as a dead right arm. I decided that if I went back to sleep the problem would go away. This didn't work and when a few minutes later I again tried I realised that the arm was still dead and my right leg would not support my weight. I tried to call out to my wife Valerie but found I had no voice! I rolled across the bed and pushed her with my left hand till she woke. The only way I had to tell her of my problem was to keep lifting my right arm with my left and letting it drop. After a while she caught on and evading what both she and I realised, said "You've had a bad turn". We both knew I had had a stroke.

We live within sight of the ambulance people and they were at our door within minutes. They were very efficient and comforting but this did not apply to the ambulance and I had one of the most uncomfortable journeys of my life! I knew nothing about strokes but I had often seen its victims with unmoving arms and unwieldy legs, mostly in wheelchairs and it was a nasty shock to realise I had joined them. The thought ran through my mind that I was facing something I could not beat and I gave up on life. I consoled myself that I had had a good run for 85 years and if I had to spend the rest of it in a wheelchair well that was just too bad. I amused myself thinking about some of the pleasant things that had happened in the past. My thoughts ran to how Valerie was going to handle it, but I knew she would cope with anything life could offer. After all, she had coped with me for 54years and that would have been good training.

My intention of giving up did not last long, The ST John nurse got quite excited when I showed I could move my arm at the elbow before we even got to the hospital. When we arrived there I was quickly assessed and plans made for brain and other scanning. these were promptly executed and it wasn't too long before I was shifted into the stroke ward. It dawned on me that they were not going to just give me a pill and an injection and send me home, no, they were talking recovery and their enthusiasm was seeping through to me.

and that was the start of a new beginning!

Deigh

Thank you for sharing this Deigh

I just re-read it through, the reason the ambulance ride was so uncomfortable was that my blanket covered but bare feet were pushing against a very cold, very hard, chromium plated bar across the end of the bed. It was extremely painful and I had no way of telling anyone about it. Ambulances are built for efficiency, not comfort!

Deigh

LOWER NECK PAIN ?

Any one else & advice please . Seams to almost start in head , neck & travel down to back of shoulder. Since stroke difficult to turn head . If speaking to someone,  must sit in front,  painful to look up or down. Have to sit at wash basin , legs to one side & twist body , poss neck ? Struggle in bed , to turn , putting pressure on neck ? NONE of this ideal ! Thanks David.