Confused over Government Coronavirus advice

Dear Wendy

It is so easy to post something you didnt mean to or to post one post several times. However, if you go back to the "wrong" posts then you can edit them and delete them.

Best wishes

Colin

Haha Colin, Thank you for pointing out how ancient I am - a complete relic!!  I didn't ever have a ginger beer plant as a child, so I'm making up for it now.  We've bought some special bottles, with a metal contraption on the lid, and when I lever them off they absolutely fly off at seriously high velocity!!  I can't believe they haven't broken the kitchen windows!! Powerful stuff - it tastes delicious, and makes a nice change from other soft drinks, as my husband doesn't drink post-stroke.  (He says he feels wobbly enough already, without the addition of alcohol!!)

Hopefully all your deliveries will arrive and you'll have the security of knowing you have some supplies.  The supermarkets seem to be gradually returning to something resembling normality, some shelves are still fairly sparse, but it's looking better than a week ago.

We've just had our weeping willow tree pollarded, so there has been a lot of work going on in the garden.  Daffs are doing really well - a complete mixture, my favourite variety is Katie Heath, it's a kind of 'faded beauty'!  

Do you have an inhaler?  Would that ease your breathing difficulties?  I hope you managed to attend your scan and maybe that will give some answers.

Have a good day - Nic x  

Thanks Ann - so far, so good haha!  Know what you mean about the prices - butchers v supermarkets!  Stay well, safe and healthy during this terrible time.  Peace Carole

Nice one Brenda!  M & S sounded lovely.  Have always liked it there.  Great price too for lamb!  Too right to avoid Morrisons atm.  Good that your local shop had toilet rolls haha!  Stay healthy.  

How you doin Colin, hope you got sorted with your medication. That will be good if the paperboy can leave you some supplies Milk bread and your butcher some meet. Don't be afraid of asking your neighbours for anything you need....take care and try and enjoy your garden.

is it worth contacting the stroke association local to you see if they could maybe pick up some supplies for you also xx

Gosh yes, those things that hold in the fizz. Shows how tough the glass must be.

Sainsbury have indeed delivered groceries and now we are spoilt for choice. We can hibernate for two weeks without a thought of going food shopping.

I did go to the hospital today. It was a sureal experience. The cardiac outpatients had me plus one other patient. I was there well over an hour, just me and one other guy. There were 12 staff looking after us. Everywhere there were staff and  very few patients. I image the corona cases were at another entrance.

Having been so inactive for years, driving was quite a task. And negotiating the car park ticket machine blew a few gaskets. I am disappointed how much of the stroke symptoms have returned when I am under the utmost stress. I am so wobbly. Walking a few yards in the hospital left me exhausted.I must get a good nights sleep.

Yes I have an inhaler wherever I go. I think its more a case of the heart cant process the blood flow so I run out of oxygen. The scan seems to show a worse position than expected. VS as well as AS. Whether the consultant will have time to see me I dont know. 

We live at the edge of the village and our houses are quite spread out. But we were all out there clapping at 8pm. That memory will be printed on my mind. If my brain decides to save it tonight.

In our village we have some redundant sand pits. A couple are now fishing ponds. Before they were filled, the bulb growers would dump lorry loads of spent daffodil bulbs. So the villagers would fetch themselves a sack full at  will. No flowers in year one but after that there were daffodills everywhere. I think a few of mine are that old, eg the freebies.

Isnt it lovely to be able to sit out in the sun

Colin

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Sainsbury brought an online delivery to me and the only omission was Weetabix and I can live without weetabix. With the paperboy helping plus the local "autumn center " keeping in touch, we now seem to have food. With some to spare for ageing friends.

We sat in the garden again today. So very nice. wall to wall blue sky.

The stroke association do not cover my little bit of England. But that was a thought.

Be safe

Colin

That's good to here Colin keep safe this will soon be over roll on the summer xx

Thanks for the information Colin, I have gone back and deleted two of the three!  I have seen this happen before, so its good to know how to remove. Wendy

Well done Wendy. It took me ages to do this first time around.

Colin

Dear jm,

I am absolutely bowled over by your lack of means and help.

I live in France and will do anything you need to get out of this terrible situation.  I help my stoke afflicted brother who lives in another country.  

I try I can do & pay for online shopping, get help for you from the Uk and try to do my utmost to help you from afar. 

Please let me know if you are now getting help and food! 

If not tell me and we’ll work something out together. I promise. 

Please send news,  Muffin from Paris 

Hi Colin

Hope you and yours are well!  Must say, living alone actually PUTS ME AT AN ADVANTAGE for self isolation haha!  I'm relishing the peace, and just doing what I normally do (indoors).  Like dancing - to keep fit - etc!  We have to make the most of a dire situation, huh?  Keep safe and healthy everyone, and everything (cat!)!  Peace xlaugh

Hi Just wanted to check in and see how things are going?  I think it would be a good idea for you to contact your local MP about the council refusing to do anything about your living conditions, it is a disgrace in this day and age for any one to be living like this.  Did you contact the stroke association, I am sure they will be able to help.  Keep us all posted, we are all here, rant away if you need to.  Wendy

Dear Carole

Totally agree, we are pretty much used to being alone and at home.

The wife talked about dancing this afternoon and I settled for clapping at 8pm.

Day 25 today, for those who got asked to sit out in the first place. We were the vulnerable and elderly. This group of us seems to have been completely ignored. Its different groups that now need the support.

Whatever will be the situation at Christmas 2021.

Sooty reckons its far too hot and he has now disappeared into the bushes he uses at the height of summer. Still, I guess I would be too warm with the fur coat that he has.

Best wishes

Colin

I still don't really know if I had a stroke or TIA. They only told me that the MRI showed a bit brain damage and I should have another scan ?‍♀️ 

Well, that's not going to happen any time soon. It's really impacting my life and my studies. Everything goes slower ?‍♀️

Yes I totally agree with you. I am still working part-time, however I am alone (nothing to do though). I have not had any phone call or letter to inform me to stay home. So im carry-on using the necessary percautions.

I am crocheting.  Ever since my stroke three years ago, I have picked up the hook. I can crochet and do felt making. I am not very good at embroidery (which was my main hobby Before the Stroke!). 

The stroke affected the right side of my brain which I believe is my comprehension etc.

I have volunteered for S.W.I.T. (Speak With I.T) who are a Yorkshire based charity, delivering (well before this pandemic!!) I.T. based lessons to stroke survivors with aphasia. 

I read a book whilst in hospital, about Beatrix Potter and her art. My husband gave the book to me the day Before the Stroke - which was my birthday, as it is today!

The N.H.S. hospital in Harrogate and the doctor, Mr. Brotheridge was very good. The speech therapists did not particularly help and my husband and I had to buy an online course to help me. We struggled with this, so my husband  and I  did crosswords and wordsearches (in fact, the last Wordsearch took me 6 minutes!).

I am happy with everything in my life, but it is no fun at the backend of middle age! I am 62.

Hi Birgit. I thought TIA didn't have a lasting damage affect, but from your MRI there was some brain damage so it may be that they think you have had a small stroke but cannot be sure.  I would book a telephone consult with GP as maybe you can be referred as you deserve a proper diagnosis,but a neurologist is really the one who is skilled as reading the MRI to determine whether you have had one or not. Also, have you been referred for any stroke back up,like the 6 weeks you should get from the early stroke rehab team, if there is one through the NHS or through local council.Or if you prefer you can call the Stroke Association and ask them to give you your options.I would not give up just because of coronavirus, and heart attack and stroke are treated as serious life threatening and life changing conditions and can be followed up.Good Luck.Judy.

Hi. I had a cerebellum stroke 8 weeks ago and am slowly recovering.Coronavirus....well, I assumed I was vulnerable and waited for my  letter but it did not arrive ! I went on to Gov.uk and looked at what they considered vulnerable and stroke was not listed but went ahead and registered with Gov.uk as it invites you to do if you are not sure,and you can do this even if you do not get a letter,but you need to supply an NHS number and a contact no (mobile phone).  I had a message on my mobile 3 days later to advised me that they did not put me in the vulnerable and need to stay in for 12 weeks category,but as my stroke made me more vulnerable and was having to stay indoors as I could not yet walk far anyway, and was one of those who could do with a helping hand (I am also 66yrs old) and they would pass my name and address on to the council,charities and supermarkets to see if they could help.....and a few days later I got an email from Asda wo I had previously shopped with but could not get a slot to deliver to home for 4 weeks ahead if I was quick. Anyway this email, from Asda said I was passed as a vulnerable customer and if I booked a recurring slot, I could have weekly delivery, free,and this was booked up to October !!   So I did all of this and now get weekly shopping slot guranteed. It is worth registering with government as they may well put your details forward like they did mine.My physio Emma said afterwards that the government consider you to shield for 12 weeks if your immune system is poor,like taking drugs for cancer etc that knocks your immune system if under 70 years old you are considered,but for this scheme you seem to be really having to be ill or have an even more serious condition where your ability to fight the virus is severley compromised.

Hi.I had a stroke in February this year and have been taking the same precautions as you, and had a stroke that affected the cerebellum, and the clot that travelled up tp the arterty ia thought to be caused by a problem with my heart,so waiting for an appointment for cardiology. I had though,last Saturday,a letter from the NHS which was the official one for 12 weeks shielding....so now I know that I am regarded as vulnerable........so assume that we all are vulnerable ?