Celebrating Successes

@Mrs5K Lovely poem! A great talent there. I like the reference to the fact that others thinks we may look well but inside only we know what its like inside our brain. Elsewhere I have written about my journey. Its coming up to my first year ‘anniversary’ this next weekend, so a good time to reflect on what happened 12 months ago (your poem was very poignant abou that) and the scary journey to A&E (luckily at 3 or 4 in the morning so it was quiet. Although I was scared, that in an neighboring bed, a policeman stood over a patient - wonder what he had been up to) and my achievements to date- the cartoon sums it up well!
Keep up the jigsaws. My relaxation is listening to 70s music - now back on vinyl.

@Retrokeyplayer thank you for your kind words. I’m touched by everyone’s positive comments.
I bet next weekend will be a time for reflection for you. I hope you can reflect on all your progress during that time. Now, if I’d been in a&e with the police at the next bed I think curiosity would have got the better of me :rofl::rofl:
I love listening to music too…more classical but I love all types of music. Enjoy your vinyl.

Ann @Mrs5K

Good to hear from you. Stick with the determination you have to keep making progress…

Onwards and upwards!

Kind regards and richest blessings! X

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your very kind words about my poem. I’m very humbled by them all. You were so kind I thought i’d have another go. So, here is my 2nd poem…this time about hidden effects of stroke. That’ll teach you to be so kind about the first one :rofl::rofl:

Hidden from your view

You’re looking well the people say
If only they all knew
What’s going on inside my head
Hidden from your view

The stroke it came along one day
Completely out the blue
The effects of which are far & wide
Hidden from your view

The physical effects of stroke are clear
But for me they’re not the worst
The effects that cause a right old stir
Are hidden from your view

The visitors that call on by
It’s great to see them all
But sensory overload comes by too
Hidden from your view

Today I’ve slept an awful lot
How lazy you must think
It’s awful this fatigue I feel
Hidden from your view

A trip out will do you good
I often hear them say
My planning for that trip takes days
Hidden from your view

The daily battle inside my head
Is huge it’s fair to say
It churns away all night & day
Hidden from your view

Each day’s an unexpected challenge
In lots of different ways
It’s hoped in time it will improve
But it’s still hidden from your view

The effects are expected to last a while
And may well last for years
So as we travel along that road
Remember it’s hidden from your view

Kindness & patience is what we need
If we are slower than you
There’s so much going on inside my head
Hidden from your view

Hope you’re enjoying the lovely weather. Have a good weekend.
Ann xxx

5 Likes

Ann , Absolutely bang on , like me . Really good. David.

@David3 thank you. Enjoy your weekend.

@Loshy Hi Loraine, thank you. It might take a while to write a book of poems :rofl::rofl:
Your poor cat. I hope she’s OK now. It is really hot out today & much nicer to be indoors. I shall be hiding inside this weekend too. Good luck for tomorrow xx

1 Like

Another great poem @Mrs5K - maybe a book of selected poems from you and @tricia3? @Rups could write the preface.

2 Likes

@DDMH now there’s an idea :grin::grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

thats realy good, i feel too tired at the moment to write, i burnt my finger and thumb on the oven shelf, its painful, my good hand

thaty is lovely, your very talented

@tricia3 thank you. I’ve never written poetry before so this is a new thing for me. Hopefully you’ll get your writing spirit back quickly.
Hope your finger & thumb get better soon. I’m always burning myself :scream: xx

its not too bad, them in ice ed jug of water put plaster on one, thumb ok, finger has plaster on

1 Like

good poem. quite young, you are brave

1 Like

Thank you @tricia3
I don’t feel young any more :grin:
Have a nice day with your son tomorrow xx

1 Like

Mrs5k
Just read your second poem, it’s been said on this site that carers and families should be encouraged to view this site to gain a greater knowledge of the world we find ourselves in which will never be fully explained. Your second poem should be a compulsory read. It’s so difficult trying to get across how we feel some days and our odd behaviour, your poem goes some of the way to help others to begin to get a grasp. Continue to post your poems here. Eventually yours and others poems in book form would be an important source of inspiration and education
Many thanks, Bless you

Hi Ann @Mrs5K ,
Fantastic poem which sums up stroke life perfectly!

I think the idea of a book of poems from survivors is great and perhaps could be donated to the Stroke Association for them to help raise funds (& awareness)?

Well done, makes me fancy having a go.
Mark

@Pds thank you so much for your lovely comments. I wrote the poem to try & express to others how the hidden effects of stroke can affect us. If it helps just one person understand what we are going through & the battles we face on a daily basis then I will be very happy. Thank you again. Take care xx

Hi Mark, @Ingo66 thank you for your kind words. I really hope you have a go at writing a poem. I had never written one before and it took a while to write with lots of amendments but got a lot of satisfaction out of it especially after everyone’s kind words about it.
Your book idea is great. I wonder if the Stroke Association would be interested? @AshleyTH

Enjoy your day.

Regards

Ann

2 Likes

I thought I’d start my effort today and was surprised how it spewed out. I don’t want to spend ages fiddling with it as I’ll probably make it worse so here goes…

I was 55 when a stroke changed my life
lying on the floor discovered by my wife
previously fit, regular visits to the gym
now a year later, oh where to begin…

I’m thankful I survived to be able to try
to make the best of what’s left and not to cry
I try to stay positive and not be defeated
it’s difficult when the brain’s battery is depleted

the reduction in use of my dominant side
is something that’s physical and I can’t hide
but the things that don’t show are the hardest to take
when people say “you look well, have you lost weight?”

I was only 55, it couldn’t happen you see
strokes are for old people not young 'uns like me
I had plans for retirement with places to go
now I’ll adjust them for me version 2.0

fatigue is a word that stroke survivors often say
how it’s tricky managing energy to get through the day
when “normal” people hear that, they think it’s cobblers
but the brain energy is huge just to walk like toddlers

Im so thankful for the support I’ve received
to be here still breathing I’m mighty relieved
acceptance definitely needs to be applied
this has really helped me, being only 55

life is not over, a different one has begun
I’ll take it slower, but here’s to version 2.1 !

8 Likes