About the Share your story category

I still get that pressure from time to time from driving. I usual find taking my glasses of for a minute helps…not while I’m still driving of course :smile: Try it and see if helps relieve it.

Although, when I think of it, driving probably does raise my blood pressure a tad. Do you have a BP monitor, if so you should maybe start taking your a couple readings a day for week and take them to your doctor.

I’m off to strength & balance class this morning so that should warm me up :laughing: Its currently 9C here but I’m further north from you I think.

1 Like

we had an offer on bungalow but was too low she upped to252. its 14 here sunny and warm in somerset, i cant drive. i did yoga on saturday, first time for a while

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Hello everyone, I’m Jonathan

Hello everyone, another Dave here, just joined, had a stroke on 20th oct just gone, i a locksmith trainer and was getting ready to go to big lock show when a had pins and needles down the right hand side, ignored them thinking that theyd go away but they didnt , about 3 hrs later a phoned my partner , she phoned a ambulance and after some tests they kept me in for 4 days. been home about 6 wks and things are coming along ok, very slowly , but ok, can walk , but most of time i drag my foot, can talk ok, and my right hand does what it wants most of the time lol. hardest thangs are the little things, like getting dressed, writing ur name, eating , want to get back to were i was pre strkoe, driving and training people again.

2 Likes

Welcome @daveymitch to the best club in town that nobody ever applies to and takes everybody :slight_smile:

Your early in a journey that for most of us no matter how lightly we get away with it is still a long one. Rarely is stroke a detour on the path you were on but is teleportation to a new path not just for you but for all around you.

You should expect that there will be much improvement, but there will be some setbacks along the way - it isn’t generally a smooth path

Some of us put together a combination of the things we normally say to welcome new joiners in Welcome - what we wish we'd heard at the start - I recommend you have a read of that .

Very likely others will be alone to say hello and suggest some guidance sources very soon. you’ll find most of your questions have been asked and debated Previously If you master the magnifying glass above you’ll be able to find them but even if you can’t just ask :slight_smile:

Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

You can rest assured just about everyone on this forum…both stroke survivors and carers…have been through that particular hell and come out the other side…some are still in it :people_hugging: :people_hugging:

Hi @Holliebear80 and welcome to the forum.
Now breath! Slow and deep, in through the nose and out through the mouth.
I myself suffered 2 TIA’s (which are mini-strokes) 3 years ago. And I’m pretty sure your mum is going through exactly the same thing as you are right now, so start talking…better out than in :wink:

Yes, she’s not out of the woods, there is always the risk of another stroke. That’s something all stroke survivors have to live with. But if we take care of ourselves, healthy diet, regular exercise and keep taking our medications, it all reduces that risk.

Is your mum on any medications yet? The standard ones are usually Ramipril for blood pressure, Atorvastatin for cholesterol and Clopidogrel for thinning the blood. Has she any follow-up appointments with the stroke team yet, there should be something or they will maybe phone in a few days.

You can find support and information from the Stroke Association Helpline on 03033033100. So it might be worth giving them a ring. They can also help you find local support groups for carers if you think that would be of help.

Also check out the Welcome post some us put together. It covers a lot of what can be expected going forward and some useful links.

One thing you can be thankful for, she came out of it pretty well from what you say. But her brain still has to heal; just because there’s no visible wound doesn’t mean there isn’t one…you just can’t see the wound in her head. She may be experiencing things like brain fog, she might get tired frequently or fatigued, headaches, balance might be slightly off. All these are also covered in the welcome post. And it might also help your mum to let her have a look through to see if there’s anything she recognises or can relate to

I’ve found my time on this forum has helped me to both rationalise and desensitise myself somewhat from those fears. I’m calm about it, don’t even get an odd pang of concern, but we’re all different, unique :blush:
As it’s a bit late in the day for some on here, I’m sure you will get more responses tomorrow.

1 Like

Hello @Holliebear80

Welcome :hugs:

@EmeraldEyes has said just about everything I would say - Perhaps with one or two slight omissions…

Yes you probably are suffering from exactly PTSD

You should seek some help.
You can try Headway or start with your GP.

The other thing to say is that even with a transient attack the stroke damage will take a while to clear up - hence the brain fog, fatigue etc that is likely to follow and will take a considerable amount of energy that you can’t see being spent - don’t worry if your mum is quiet and restful for some months.

Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

Yes, I’d say many have it and it’s just the same as when pregnant mums have it on their baby bumps…only it’s on the neck instead, quick and painless. Youtube is great for showing that sort of thing if you care to take a look.

As far as exercise goes, she can do as much as she can or in other words, as much as her brain and body will allow her to. Do you have the number for the stroke nurse, it might be worth giving them a ring as your mum could probably do with home visits from OT and physio. Although they might be waiting for the results of all her tests as they are not all in yet. Failing that ring your doctor and get his advice.

I’d be loath to give any specific advice on exercise as I’m not a medical expert and your mums medical condition hasn’t been fully investigated yet. But she does need to stay as mobile and active as she can to prevent things like muscle wastage, fluid build up and such.

1 Like

Hi @Holliebear80
Once again Lorraine (@EmeraldEyes ) has covered most of the things & very well :slight_smile:

You might like to look at these: Video library | My Stroke Guide

Then in the drop-down box select Red Group.
If they proved to be too easy then return to the link and select Amber Group. You have to see how her fatigue levels are 2 days following her exercise before you know whether they were to demanding in terms of energy available

I’m glad you feel better by having posted :slight_smile:
I’d also suggest that you don’t view yourself as a passenger. You have a role as carer and that can be extremely demanding especially as it goes on and on. This is a place for survivors and carers. Together we are all #StrokeWarriors or #StrokeThrivers :slight_smile:

Most of us who have otherwise unexplained I ischaemic strokes get neck ultrasounds to check the cartiod arteries - are not too clogged. If they are then an operation to scrape them out is sometimes suggested depending on risk.

Salt can be a factor in high blood pressure.
it also makes things taste better for some people and taste is a component of being encouraged to eat - eating is important for healing energy - so lack of salt isn’t necessarily a good thing - being risk factors/ diet where is :slight_smile:

Caio

2 Likes

Good evening, all.

Just wanted to introduce myself.
I’ve been a long time reader of the forum, but thought I’d drop in & say hello at last.

33 year old gent, suffered a haemorrhagic stroke in March 2022, caused by an AVM. (Arteriovenous Malformation) which wiped out the whole of my left side. Began taking small steps in rehabilitation back in July 2022 and been trying to build from there every single day, I like to think I’m going from strength to strength in this emotional rollercoaster of stroke recovery.
Hoping I can contribute to this fantastic community :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi @DanH
A warm welcome to the best club in town with no queue to join :slight_smile:

I guess If you’ve been a long time reader that has without registering as a user? Great now you have :slight_smile:

& Nice to see you introduce yourself - We become aware of people when they post. Until then while there could easily be a mechanism there isn’t one to help us to welcome people :frowning:

Have you read the welcome post - Click the blue text - It says the standard stuff that we say to new joiners - please feel free to edit it if you see ways to improve it :slight_smile:

Yes it is a roller coaster especially for the emotions of all involved. I hope your daughter hasnt been to affected?.

If you’ve been making steady progress there will be a few here (quite possibly even majority) who are jealous :slight_smile: because most of us seem to take two steps forwards and one back or maybe that’s three vs two :slight_smile:

Yes this community does really get it in wats those who haven’t had a stroke, whatever their role - really don’t understand

Is that screenshotted bio from Instagram?

Once again welcome :slight_smile:

Onwards and upwards
Simon

2 Likes

Hi Dan Ioh my goodness I suffered a hemmoragic stroke too in oct 7th 22 I was getting ready for work and my daughter phoned she never phoned me in the morning whilst on the phone I suddenly lost my hearing in my left side I said I couldn’t hear her she said she was shouting I had a whooshing sound in my ear then my eye sight went my speech I couldn’t walk it was horrific ! I then don’t remember anything my daughter came round called for an ambulance and I also awoke in hospital it since been found out I also have a AVM I’d never heard of one. I’m waiting on a procedure up in London as they cannot operate as too dangerous! ( huge stroke or death they said) to have something called gamma knife habe you got to have that? I am recovering and improving but still can’t drive as siffered two seizures in hospital and can’t work having worked for 44 years of my life as a carer living my job. I’m relieved to hear someone else has had this even tho they said it was very rare I’m also very sorry to hear you’ve had one too tho. :smiling_face_with_tear:I’ve been left with various things I cant-do how about you? You are so young bless you sorry I’ve rambled on I’m nearly 60 kindest regards micky

1 Like

Can I reflect respectfully that that sentence is one word to short :slight_smile:

That I can’t do yet -

(You might never do whatever it is but the yet ads hope and hopefully the motivation to try and trying is the on/off switch - Walt Disney said it best “whether you say you can or you can’t you are correct”

I hope these thoughts are helpful in your recovery journey - they sustain me and sometimes I need that :slight_smile:

Ciao
Simon

1 Like

Micky, great to meet you my friend.
I too had never heard of an AVM before! Scary stuff aren’t they.

I had the embolisation in hospital on the evening my stroke occurred.

After I was discharged from rehabilitation I went for a course of gammaknife surgery In Sheffield, that will be 12 months In March when I had this done. I believe I’ll have an angiogram and CT to see the effects of the gammaknife on the AVM.
If there’s anything I can help with or if you have any questions on it please don’t hesitate to ask.
It’s a really straight forward procedure and you’ll be in excellent hands.

There are things I struggle with unfortunately but I’m learning to adapt.
My left hand & arm has no movement YET, and the foot drop syndrome is frustrating but I won’t quit.
Back on the road driving after passing the post stroke driving assessment & back thinking of the viability of getting back into full time employment.

2 Likes

Absolutely the right sentiment “yet” - What do you have in terms of mental connection to shoulder elbow wrist and fingers?

I don’t know more than Google tells me about the tangled web of an AVM, and I’ve only got experience from the inside of getting one shoulder and one elbow up to 80% and only one experience of getting a hand and fingers on the road to a higher percentage (maybe 10 to 30% ATM) that I’m willing to share

On wards and upwards
Ciao
Simon

1 Like

Im new to this forum and can’t figure out how to start a topic. I did manage to find the video, but can’t find the New Topic button she mentioned. I dont know where this post will go, so apologies if it interrupts someone else’s “conversation” my brain fatigue and tired eyes from stroke keep me from focusing too long, more than a few minutes online. Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Trishk
Welcome to the forum, sorry you’ve had caused to join us.

I’ve always found all the stroke thrivers ( carers and survivors) Here to be thoroughly unfazed by which catagory things end up in & almost everyone recognises that topics meander a bit .

You haven’t told us much about you needs for support etc but a lot of the initial thoughts are gathered into Welcome post Click here on the blue text to follow.

Given your tired eyes and short attention capacity (which will likely improve :slight_smile: ) You likely don’t want to expand the headings on first reading and may want to come at it in one or three or six bites :slight_smile:

The new topic button is reached by clicking the hamburger menu that’s the three bars at the top of the page

and then selecting topics

and then selecting new topic

We look forward to hearing more about your journey.
if you read, particularly if you search for keywords with magnifying glass above youll find a wealth of previously shared content from the stroke thrivers who generously give their experiences :slight_smile:

Ciao simon

1 Like

Hi, seems I sent a reply to "no reply which isn’t unusual for me, stroke or no stroke. Thanks, I found a way to do new topic, as the hamburger thingy you showed me didn’t come up for me. Im a bit of an introvert so will probably keep low profile on this forum, but look forward to getting and maybe providing support.
Patricia

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

Whatever makes you feel comfortable is good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello my name is aldo. Had a hemorrhagic stroke on my rigth temporal lobe 2yrs ago i was at work strted feeling stressed oit overwhelming feeling of anxiety astarted sweating and left arm started feeling fuzzy then went flaccid co workers called paramedics Got their in five contracted pneumonia at the hospital few hrs after admitting i was in bad shape for a few days then got craneatomy surgery and got significantly better in folowing days was in inpatient rehab for 3months then discharged home then 3wks into being home expirienced spontaneous recovery from arm hand balance

2 Likes