A forager feast

As the season for ceps begins to wane, I thought I would post a few photos of my recent forage. I had to bring a friend with me as it was getting dark but I needed to pick before the slugs and maggots got the better of them. My partner is drying them, and we’ve started selling them in little bags as they are perfect as stock for stews and whatnot. I also spotted an entire fallen tree that is almost covered in Oyster Mushrooms, but I shall get to that tomorrow, it requires climbing a fence and treading through bramble.

These are all Penny Buns as there is not mushroom for anything else …

6 Likes

It’s a good haul, isn’t it? Next year, there may be nothing, that’s the fun of foraging.

2 Likes

@Rups that looks like a very successful forage to me. I bet you sell them really quickly.

Hope your oyster mushroom forage is as successful tomorrow. Beware the brambles. They usually trip me up.

Happy foraging.

2 Likes

Well done Rups. I wish I had your skills. I have two friends who are expert foragers and return with good hauls from a local common.

2 Likes

I usually fry in butter and with plenty of pepper. I like them on toast.

2 Likes

Shwmae @John_Jeff_Maynard, I only pick the familiar ones I am a hundred percent sure on. There are about twenty I can collect safely, and they are all good ones, so never any need to be risky.

3 Likes

As ever I am impressed. You are lucky to be able to harvest such delicacies and in such quantities. All the best with your marketting.

1 Like

Well, this year at least. Last year there was very little and I was too unwell to get up the track to the top fields. Now, I have a week ahead of me of bagging and freezing, and spreading the spores around of the more mature ceps. Will be a good little winter money earner as I am behind schedule editing my next book and fear I won’t get it out until January.

2 Likes

Please keep us posted with info about your expeditions. They make for a very interesting read. The photographs give them that extra ‘thousand words’, bringing it all to life.
As one who is housebound, at this stage in my ‘recovery’, I want to let you know that little views of the ‘real world’ like this enrich my drab existence and give hope that I might eventually, one day, set out on such an adventure of my own.

Keep on keepin’ on . . . :sunflower:

3 Likes

All mushrooms are edible, some only once!
Deigh

2 Likes

It’s about an Anglican priest and his friend who investigate extraterrestrial phenomena. It’s not heavy going.

5 Likes

@Deigh Aye, and often the names give a hint to their edibility … Angel’s Wings, Funeral Bell, Deathcap …

1 Like

Working title: Black As White, I’m behind in editing, so unlikely to be released until 2023. I’ve had to buy a “gaming chair” to write from as long periods in my old chair have not been good for my back.

2 Likes

Envy you Rups of all things thought that foraging which I loved I would get back into with not much effort. So wrong so had to settle for a few field mushrooms on toast. Not being able to drive now has snookered me.So this year will have to be grateful to be ferried to apple trees to harvest, my first love. Have a 4 drawer apple store empty and waiting made of oak boards I salvaged years ago. When full will keep us in apples till April next year.

4 Likes

We’ve just picked all our apples & are now merrily sharing them with family & friends & of course storing some for us to make crumbles & pies. :yum::yum::yum::yum:

3 Likes

Harvesting apples is a skill then another, checking them over before storing.use to watch my grandfather hand grade thousands of apples for storage in WW2 Nissan hut. Can still remember most of their varietal names, all English.

3 Likes

All I can say is WOW! I’m impressed! :mushroom: Jeanne

2 Likes

I’ve been spreading the spores over the years of the beech bolete around the garden, and some have now started to pop up. It’s a chance thing but can work. I’m apple collecting too but may not be able to press this year due to running on a pound shop battery as opposed to the lithium battery most people run on. I got the scratter out and the press, but the sterilising of bottles is a bit daunting.

1 Like

My youngest son has now asked me to stop collecting mushrooms because our entire house smells of them.

1 Like

Yes Rups been there was banned from drying my fungi in airing cupboard as there was much moaning about about underwear smelling but being a devious creature I managed to suspend a rack from ceiling in cupboard without any one spotting it for while. But was caught out by annoying sons sleuthing.But every cloud has silver lining and got electric dryer for Christmas which did far better job, and used it for apples and other produce. Loaned it to Czech chums, Boy did they use it ! One of them was ace forager and didn’t respect boundaries and Collected species I’d never seen before. My Big bro not into fungi used it for apples and asian pears which were given out as Christmas presents when one of my sister decreed that all presents had to be home grown or crafted or cooked as she felt, Gift giving had to be simplyfied as it was becoming obscene. So family got honey and bird boxes from me. Another year I made hydrangea wreaths which made good money at local farmers markets. Been through many obsessions in my life, collecting every species and variety of hydrangea I could was one. So employer was able to boast to friends he had almost hundred different ones in his garden. So when I came to wreath making supply was no problem. Decided to make cider again but in gallon demijohns not 25lt barrels. In my prime could have six fermenting away in my glasshouse. O happy days.

3 Likes