A forager feast

@Loshy I second that request. Starting around now for Xmas will give enough time to get the materials together.
Yes, please, @Pds, if a wreath demo is do-able I’m sure there would be much interest.

@Rups is your author-name something you want to be seen here on this forum? No need to reply.

2 Likes

O dear what a silly billy I was for posting that🤪 Will have to play the stroke card here and say…….I’d love too but. Was smitten October 2020, A few weeks before Christmas that year could only just motivate myself to get out of bed so the festive season past me by, the following year the heart was willing but the old noggin wouldn’t cooperate. Things have moved on, since then, don’t hold me to it but I’ll see if I can
try and cobble something together for November 1923. I use to make my own straw wreaths which I think I’d struggle to do now, and I’m still sort of able bodied, but how other SS would cope I can’t imagine. But if your keen to have go the wreath frames are available on line to attach straw too but far more sensible would be to buy a premade one from garden centre or florist. You can let your imagination run riot when you create a wreath and there great as presents. They can be indoor or out. Saw a fantastic indoor one made from edible items,dried fruit,nuts sweets and gingerbread now there’s a challenge

2 Likes

This wreath project deserves its own thread, are you ready, willing and able @Loshy ? ?

You could start it and come back when the mood takes you, or even when inspiration strikes.

3 Likes

@ Loshy that’s the way. It is the taking part - no need to produce an award winning result. It could be fun.
If what you achieve isn’t fit to hang on the front door, you could always hang it on the ‘rest room’ door. :grin: Inside if it is really awful !

2 Likes

Brill idea will put my creative bobble hat on. Judge it ? No I want to win it

1 Like

You’re really artistic, Loshy. You should go into an on-line business selling wreaths for every occassion! :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

Family are getting home made presents this year - or seeds, have saved loads of seeds from the garden.

2 Likes

Shwmae Bobbi, not on the forum because it’s readable by the general public without needing to register … but happy to provide in a private message.

1 Like

Wow, lots of creative ideas. Rups, why didn’t you tell me years ago to spread cep spores on the lawn!!! such a brilliant idea. Apples are bending boughs every where and we have masses but, despite following all the rules, I’ve never been able store apples longer than a few months. Any advice/tips out there? There was a splendid florist on Monty Don’s Gardeners’ World who dried dahlias and I’ve just tried zinnias, which worked well. I might leave the darkened colours or spray them. You guys are doing all so well: successes despite bumps and bruises - like my 2-year-old grandson, who gets up and has another go - despite yelling sometimes. Good vibes sent to all. Magga

1 Like

@Magga we peel core and boil our cooking apples with sugar, then fill kilner jars with the apple sauce. We get a load of jars filled, both 500ml and litre. It is usable in so many ways and keeps for the whole year. We also slice some and put it in cheap cider again in kilner jars. Same with the produce off our pear tree.
All sadly lacking this year as I hadn’t been up to picking and processing. My strength and stamina are improving, so, fingers crossed there will be another autumn next year.

Shwmae @Magga, diolch yn fawr for your kind comment. I too, am not always successful in storing apples for long periods. Some varieties keep better than others. I am, currently, converting an unwanted cot into a storage rack. I was going to make one from scratch, but have no time at the moment for it. I press most of my apples into juice, and also make cider. I don’t drink cider but being able to offer it to others is always a visitor’s treat. My partner dries a lot of fruit but not apples. When I was a child, I used to live close by to an apple drying place, I won’t call it a factory because it was essentially a larger timber shed, but I enjoyed hanging around it as the smell was so inviting.

In the past, I kept apples individually wrapped in newspaper in old cardboard fruit boxes down the cellar but the damp sometimes affects the base of the box, hence my need for a rack. I suppose a thin layer of beeswax rubbed over individual apples might keep them for quite some time, but I haven’t tried this.

Storing apples. Grandfather and father were greengrocers.Grandfather had a large Nissan hut and I use to watch him for hours inspecting apples and packing them in wooden crates. Storing apples successfully starts with the picking. Windfalls and any bruising or pecked apples won’t store also if the stalk has snapped off inside the cavity it originates from. Some varieties don’t store more than a few weeks others can store for 6 months, Bramley seedling for example. Each apple has a season to be picked so some research is required. Basic storing tips. Pick apples gently, handle them like eggs ,gently place them in basket when picking. Storage has to be in cool vermin free place . I’ve stored them In defunct freezers in garage and old pine dressers lined out, on news paper not touching. Inspecting them regularly Also wooden wine boxes stacked one on top of other to keep mice out and board or wire netting lid on top.plastic mushroom trays from greengrocer are perfect as they don’t rot and are stackable .some varieties can be stored In polythene freezer bags. Place perfect apples in freezer bag gently, 4/6 depending on size. Suck out air and secure with twist tie. Now the critical bit ! With a sharp pencil or nail puncture bag 4 times avoiding apples allowing apples to breath, your creating a gas storage unit that mimics how apples are stored commercially, store on shelf in wine boxes a cool bedroom is better than nothing. Have friends who like Bobi stew and jar or stew and deep freeze. Critical thing with storing is knowing varieties, how long will it store, picking at appropriate time, they should come off tree easily not ripped off and before placing gently in box/basket turned over in circular direction looking for any damage or bruising, give those away with windfalls or use first. I’m sure all this information is better described on internet.

3 Likes

Rups, pds, bobbi
Many thanks for lovely advice - your ‘Cider with Rosie’ writing is so much more enjoyable than the internet. I’ll try to put some of the ideas into practice but I have no idea of the varieties so munching madly.

Enjoyed Chomsky plus cider - vg ideas, again, for activating recalcitrant limbs. Keep warm and hopeful.
Magga

Shwmae Anne, I can manage a few turns on my right. I have a hot water bottle that drapes around my neck, if I stuff that between two pillows, I can get into a pain free position. First time I could, it was bliss. It’s not very practical as I tend to toss and turn, so have to remove the hottie when I turn to the left. I have often thought that if there was an apocalypse, I’d be okay on mushrooms and plants. Even a standard lawn has many edibles in it, might not provide the most filling of meals but it would provide nutrients :grinning:

1 Like

Bittercress, dandelion (roots, flower, leaves), ribwort, daisies, clover, on a basic lawn and then possibly evening primrose, ground elder … maybe some burdock, wild garlic, jack by the hedge, nettles, thistle, chickweed, and brambles. All edible. Not an exciting meal, grant you, but if I had to stay alive, I’d get creative :grin:

2 Likes