Worry every day

Good morning ? My husband had a stroke November 18 he is now on regular medication,and doing well still has frozen shoulder and a slight limp,and can be very jumpy at times also very little patience.The consultants told us at the time he needed to change his lifestyle,he was self employed,would come home from work,play darts in house  drinking maybe 12 cans larger a night he also smokes,since stroke he has joined the gym and goes regularly he still smokes and still likes a drink but not as many as before.I constantly worry everyday about could he have another one then I think maybe he will be ok on his meds?my hubby is 45.

Hi Linren, Welcome to our forum. There are good people on here so ask about anything or just let off steam. Carers often have a hard time of it, but there are local support groups and the Stoke Association helpline can advise on all sorts of things.

Everyone worries about a second stroke, but he is past the danger period and on the right medication. I am three years post stroke and fear of a second one lingers for some time. Like your husband, I still have a frozen shoulder, even though I have reasonable use of my weak arm and a hand. My walking still requires me to use a stick, so he sounds,physically, not too bad.

I think lifestyle changes very important, especially change of diet, exercise and less alcohol. Mood changes are also common, as the survivor can get quite frustrated about being unable to do everything they did before the stroke happened.

Most importantly, he has survived. Many do not. Give him my best wishes and tell him he is not alone and that whilst he may not have the life he had before, he is still alive. Look after yourself too!

Thanks for getting back to me,I just worry all the time. ?

You are bound to worry but your husband has already made some major changes to his lifestyle so that, combined with the help of his meds, will all help him towards his recovery.  As an ex-smoker, I know how difficult it is to stop. Even more difficult when you actually enjoy the taste of cigarettes. I stopped smoking 37 years ago when I was 30.  I had just been made redundant and was saving up to get married so there was no way I could carry on smoking as I just didn't have the money to do so!   I firmly belief that if I hadn't stopped then, I wouldn't be here now. Maybe your GP could help with patches..? Something to think about for the future.

Your husand's body is now going through some rapid changes in his healing process and it has to be one step at a time. The huge changes he has already made will definitely make massive differences to his recovery. Lack of patience is common with stroke survivors as we struggle with everyday little things we never even used to think about.  It's like learning all over again how to tie shoelaces, fasten buttons etc., but you'll be suprised how quickly your brain re-trains itself to do them so try not to worry too much although I know it's easier said than done!

Wow, your hubby likes a pint ! Haha. Maybe wise that he's cut down a bit now.  I'm 41 and had a stroke at 40. I  take no meds but have a few issues that make me think I should sometimes.  It's good that he's going to the gym so I hope he keeps this habit in future.  As for having another stroke, I was told that once on the road to recovery I was at no more risk than anyone else of  having another. I hope this helps to put your mind at rest. All the best, Aaron.