Why does this happen

Just watching west side story the song a place for us brought me to tears :sob:

1 Like

Mickeyboy, many get very emotional after stroke. I think itā€™s because we find everything in life more precious than ever. Itā€™s good to cry.

1 Like

Hi Mickyboyā€“When I was in the hospital with my stroke, they told us that one of the effects we would notice after a stroke it very intense emotions. The brainā€™s emotion center gets affected with many if not most strokes. They said to expect to feel emotions more strongly and to feel them over things that didnā€™t used to affect us. This is a symptom that usually gradually lessens over time as the brain heals. I experienced this as well. Iā€™d cry for no reason at all. One funny thing is that I laughed more easily too. Iā€™d get to laughing over a joke and couldnā€™t stop laughing. Whatever emotion is involved in humor, I felt it very strongly. Iā€™d almost laugh 'til I cried. It was a little embarrassing. :rofl: Iā€™m 3 1/2 years out from my stroke, so this has pretty much gone away. I sort of miss the laughing, though. :grin: :heart:Jeanne

1 Like

Apparently, itā€™s how the cerebellum modulates emotions received from damaged parts of the brain, they call it ā€œemotional incontinenceā€, as my cerebellum was directly damaged, I have a blunted emotional response, so the rest of my brain is expressing emotions ā€œnormallyā€ but the cerebellum canā€™t translate that into something expressed. The reverse is the cerebellum unable to control the degree of emotion expressed by the other parts of the brain, thus a flood of tears or a prolonged guffaw. :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks, Rups, for the info. Does that mean that you donā€™t ā€œfeelā€ sad about sad things, or you just canā€™t physically ā€œcryā€ about it? Just curious, if you want to share. Also, how long since your stroke? :heart:Jeanne

Shwmae @axnr911 Jeanne, I can feel the emotion but canā€™t seem to voice it. I had a stroke September 2020, so am just over a year into recovery. Sometimes, Iā€™ve had people say that they are annoyed that Iā€™m not getting as worked up about something as they are but I canā€™t help it. I have to tell them that I agree with them but just canā€™t react in the same way.

1 Like

That must be a very strange experience. Thanks for explaining it to me. I hadnā€™t heard of this before you mentioned it. All I can say is, if your situation is the opposite of what I experienced, then it may be that over time your motional reactions will change, as did mine. Iā€™m not ā€œover doneā€ now, but itā€™s been 3 1/2 years. So, you may find as time goes by you begin to express emotions more. In Stroke World it seems that anything can happen. :slightly_smiling_face: :heart:Jeanne

Thanks for all your support donā€™t think Iā€™ll venture out this week but have dental appointments Thursday panicking about getting taxis to take me but Napoli to get home

1 Like