Who are you?

Rules of the game. No personal information, that is locality &c. Be creative and extend your answers as you see fit. I have avoided specific stroke rated questions, we are not defined by our stroke but by the individuals who have had a stroke. If that makes sense? If you relate to someone else, reply to them and not to the topic. It may be fun to see how disparate or the same we are. Question and answer game.

1. What is your nickname or name close friends like to call you by?
  2. Who was your best friend in secondary school and why? (No last names).
  3. What is your most comforting treat? (Food, beverage, whatever.)
  4. What is your favourite pastime (doesn’t have to be a hobby).
  5. What is the strangest dream you have had? Doesn’t have to be a night dream, but can be a flash of thought.
  6. What is your favourite colour? And specifically what hue or saturation?
  7. What television show, book and film would you recommend?
  8. What annoys you?
  9. Describe yourself in three words.

Okay, I’ll go first since I started this thread. I hope everyone feels okay to join it.

1. My nickname is Rups, it is short for Rupert. When I was in primary school, one chap used to call me “Rude-Fart”, I don’t know where he came up with the nickname, he was the only one that called me it. Rupert isn’t a very popular name, it gets muddled up with Richard, Robert and Robin. I don’t know why. Murdoch should have dealt with this ambiguity by now. My nieces used to call me “Roo-burp.” What’s in a name?

2. My best friend in secondary school was a chap called Max (and still is). He recently found out about the stroke I had. He’s been very pleasant, although I haven’t seen him face-to-face for about twenty-five years. We still keep in contact via email, and his mother (in her eighties) follows me on Twitter. She was a psychiatrist who used to tell me off for raiding her pantry when I was hungry at night.

3. My most comforting treat is a glass of wine at wine time, a stout at stout hour, or a brandy at the brandy juncture of an evening. It’s been a staple prior and after stroke. Good for me or not. I haven’t changed my routine despite a stroke, but then again my father is a fatalist, I am a fatalist, and I can’t see me changing my spots in the near future.

4. My favourite pastimes are these: Gardening, beekeeping, brewing wine, and sleeping.

5. I have a reoccurring dream that I can fly by holding a stick of rhubarb. It has been recurring since I was a child. No idea where it comes from.

6. Green. I am earthy bound to green and brown. I particularly like olive green and British Racing Green. All greens are amazing when you differentiate between the greens. I like brown too. When I was younger I liked Indigo blue and crimson red. I still like those colours.

7. I would recommend The Comic Strip Presents or Catweazle as a television show, the Gormenghast trilogy or Against Nature for book lovers, and film-wise I would recommend (difficult because I studied film), probably, Withnail &I, Labyrinth, or Being There.

8. Many irritations send me cowering into my grumbling mode, but the worst is when people don’t say what they mean. If someone has an issue with something, express it. It doesn’t end the world, it just changes the dynamic, and adjusts the complication to make things more workable.

9. Myself in three words: Marmite, reclusive, sociable.

There you go. That’s not me in a nutshell, but it’s nine out of ten.

Morning @Rups. This has got me thinking. The good and the bad. Here goes

1. Always called Jules by people who love me, interestingly never Jools. Parents started it.
  2. Lad called Paul rescued me from a situation where I was being bullied by a group of girls at school and became my best friend. We went to the same uni and ended up in the same halls of residence where we merged our male and female neighbours into a lovely mixed friend group. As is often the way we drifted apart when he got into a serious relationship.
  3. Cheese. Love it in almost all its forms. One positive is I’m still over a stone light to pre accident/stroke so can enjoy it like I never did before.
  4. Anything that involves being outside, gardening, running prestroke, walking now.
  5. Genuinely cannot remember dreams. I think they happen but never been able to recall them. Memory is affected after stroke so nothing changed there.
  6. Purple. I seem drawn to it, often wear it, have purple shoes etc, love it in all its shades especially when it is teamed with green.
  7. I’m a Game of Thrones girl. Enjoy its ability to constantly shock me.
  8. People being disingenuous does more than irritate me.
  9. Difficult, conscientious, compassionate.
    Thank you for that I feel like I have done my self help home work for today. Julia
1 Like
  1. What is your nickname or name close friends like to call you by? -I had no nickname
  2. Who was your best friend in secondary school and why? (No last names). - David. We were both a bit geeky.
  3. What is your most comforting treat? (Food, beverage, whatever.) brandy or single malt.
  4. What is your favourite pastime (doesn’t have to be a hobby). -It used to be historical research, but I haven’t got the concentration now. I do write occasional haikus
  5. What is the strangest dream you have had? Doesn’t have to be a night dream, but can be a flash of thought. - Just after my stroke I dreamt I was being brought up with Queen Victoria’s children.
  6. What is your favourite colour? And specifically what hue or saturation?- different shades of blue depending on my mood,
  7. What television show, book and film would you recommend?- Too many to choose from.
  8. What annoys you?- television ads offering to do things for us to save us time and many politicians.
  9. Describe yourself in three words. Humorous, gay and old.
1 Like

1 No nickname usually although my former work colleagues used to call me Fi
2 Best friend was Anne who came from a large and friendly family
3 Most comforting food is probably custard - warm and creamy
4 Favourite passtime is getting outside in the garden
5 I used to have nightmares that I had lost something in a large building and had to run from room to room to find it. When I was a registered Child Minder it was usually a baby.
6 My favourite colour is purple. Like dark purples but prefer a delicate Mauve. I had a dark mauve car once and was very fond of it.
7 I dont have the concentration to watch “busy” programmes and really didn’t get “The Tourist” or other shows. I’ve just caught up on “Downton Abbey” - fun and not too serious
8 Untidiness annoys me
9 Three words to describe me Slow, Loyal and Hard Working

1 Like
  1. One of my work colleagues started calling me Mrs 5K when I started running & it’s kinda stuck.

2. My best friend at school was Lisa. Sadly we haven’t seen each other for years as we both moved away from home. She was very similar to me & as we lived close by we just gelled.

3. All things Crisps…love them :grin:

4. Favourite pastimes were running, walking, reading, music pre stroke. Post stroke taken up colouring which is really relaxing. Hope to get back to rest at some point.

5. Used to have a re urging nightmare about snakes. I now have a real phobia about them & can’t read or watch anything about them.

6. Favourite colour is blue. All shades but navy blue specifically I suppose.

7. I don’t watch films but would recommend a drama called Lost for Words with Thora Hird & Pete Poatlethwaite. I watch very little TV but am fascinated by medical programmes. Books I’ve read loads Girl with Dragon Tattoo was fab. Also like true life things like the Tattooist of Auschwitz.

8. Ignorance annoys me & people who don’t respond when I speak.

9. I’d describe myself as loyal, hardworking & impatient

1 Like

1 was pikey because it rhymed with my surname,Best Friend Bert, a fellow young naturalist who tragically died in his teens, Stilton ploughman’s or sipping a good single malt reading a good book , could stay up all night catching and identifying moths , now just outside pottering, when very young dreamt I was in field looking up at wild flowers towering above me. Green and brown man, sage/moss and milk chocolate. In my youth entered my room to find girl friend had laid new cords, shirt and tank top all lilac I went into orbit my three sisters had hysteric’s, Book Donna Tarts ‘The Little Friend’ tv not a great fan now but enjoyed Ghost’s and gentle comedy. The Film The Shawshank Redemption ticked all boxes. Was annoyed by lots of things before ,now only my limitations. Was very lay back now let it all go. Compassionate, a bit anal at times and talkative.

3 Likes

Hi- Jeanne here (axnr911) As a kid my nickname was Jinx. My favorite color is green (growing things). My favorite treat is a hot fudge sunday ( which I never have-so I guess it’s really and chardonnay and cheese). I love gardening, playing ukulele and piano, crochetting, and writing. I love comedies because I love to laugh. The Office is my favorite on TV, and for a movie, Being There. Rups, you can have my bees. I have a swarm living under my gazebo. I have a man coming out to remove them and give them another good home. (It’s going to cost me $$$). Hypochondriacs annoy me. Myself in three words: loving, active, creative.

2 Likes

Have really enjoyed reading all of these, and lovely to see some common connections all round. :grinning:

What is your nickname or name close friends like to call you by?
Bob

Who was your best friend in secondary school and why? (No last names).
Keith, we both were living in an alien environment

What is your most comforting treat? (Food, beverage, whatever.)
Hot chocolate with fresh hot scones

What is your favourite pastime (doesn’t have to be a hobby).
Dabbling on a computer

What is the strangest dream you have had? Doesn’t have to be a night dream, but can be a flash of thought.
Being awake in bed in the room I was in then rolling over to turn the light out and waking up, discovering I had in fact been asleep in a darkened room, which a moment before I was somehow looking at fully lit. (so is reality a dream and the dream reality?)

What is your favourite colour? And specifically what hue or saturation?
I like them all and the way they interact. Colours need one another, there is no best.

What television show, book and film would you recommend?
Take a break if you can and get outside in the fresh air for an hour. (even if it is night time)
If I really must I’ll mention Breaking Bad, which will let you lose yourself as you binge watch a very long but gripping set of series. Watch out for Hector Salamanca, the old guy with a little ding-a-ling bell on his wheelchair and his arch enemy ‘The chicken man’.

What annoys you?
People so caught up in themselves that they blather on unaware of who they are addressing, where they are or what is around them. I just want to yell ‘Wake up!’.

Describe yourself in three words.
Alive, human, interested.

2 Likes

Hi Bobbi was interested on your view on colours. Worked for many years in a garden that in spring that exploded into a riot of colours rhododendron and azaleas. Most visitors to garden loved it and returned year after year but for one visitor it was to much and she had to leave. Alovely lady in village said to me she avoided walking on lane past garden in spring because of the clashing colours which offended her. I’m not drawn to vibrant colours, like pastel shades was told in my youth as I always dressed in green and brown that those colours chose me :thinking: Pds

@Pds I feel the same about strong vibrant colours against weaker more nuanced shades. Each has a place and each its own message. A true artist can put them together to create a given response in those viewing. There is no emotion that is not true but there is I agree a time and a place for the particular variety that can be evoked. In many ways this is a matter of opinion so similar to having a particular favourite, but I’m greedy I want a share in it all.

People’s dreams are absolutely fascinating.

2 Likes