Weather Abroad

Hi All
Just enquiring if there’s any advice on the weather abroad effecting stroke victims as I am booked to go to Lanzarote in November with the average temperature of 23° and i will be 6 months post stroke, also has 4-hour flight affected anyone.

Thanks Steve

1 Like

Weather sounds great. I really feel the cold post stroke but 23 degrees would be ideal.
However when I was last on a 2 hour train journey I felt uncomfortable because it was difficult to get up and walk around to keep my circulation going. If I were on a 4 hour flight I would be wanting to make sure I had plenty of legroom and a chance to get up and move around a little. That may be possible in first or business class seats but my experience of economy class seats is a bit like sitting in a sardine tin. I would be checking with the airline if there is adequate opportunity to get up and move around and even some good legroom when seated.

2 Likes

Hi, I have found that I really feel the cold since my stroke 5 years ago and have actually enjoyed the sun when we’ve been abroad. One thing I would be careful of, I have no sensation or feeling on my left side and have to be really careful about sun burn as I am unaware that my arm is getting really hot.

As far as being on a plane , we have only travelled to main land Spain so far and although we found it to be quite successful so far, it is quite awkward getting in and out of your seat, so wouldn’t want to be getting up and down unnecessarily.

Hope you enjoy your trip and it is the first of many.

Regards Sue

2 Likes

@monk2316 i have been abroad since my stroke 10 months ago. I flew after 5 1/2 months. Only a 2 1/2 hr flight but all went ok. I did check with my GP that i was fit to fly & they gave me the ok. Weather was about 28⁰ when i went & i coped ok. As @Susan_Jane mentions if you have a loss of feeling then you need to watch you dont burn but you should be able to manage that with sun cream & shade etc. For the flight you may find extra leg room seats would be ideal but if they are next to an exit you can only book them if you’re fully fit as have to be able to react in an emergency. I made sure i stood up & moved a bit during the flight & also moved my feet and legs as much as possible when i was sat too.
Go for it…the sun & relaxation will be good.

2 Likes

Maybe flight socks are a good idea?

2 Likes

Hi Loshy
Did the low oxygen level content affect you at hi level on your flight as they reduce the level automatically, I have read they lower it in flight.

Steve

1 Like

Hi Loshy
I have paid for front row seats with plenty of leg room and thinking about paying for fast track at the airport so I don’t have to stand in queue.
I will let you know how I get on :wink:

1 Like

Hello @monk2316. I was nervous about going away to but a week in Kephalonia was lovely earlier this month 14 months post stroke. I did find the heat draining but I’ll take that for all the other benefits. I tried swimming, slept well, ate well and felt like life goes on. Enjoy Julia x

3 Likes

Hi, I had a TIA in February and 10 days later flew to Lanzarote . We went Club class so quicker check in and through security and food on the plane, so the 4 hours went quickly. Was initially apprehensive about going but loved it and the temperatures. Had to be wary though about becoming tired/fatigued and didn’t recognise that at first. Have a great holiday.

1 Like

Hi Derek
Did you have any after symptoms with your TIA ,i have stiffness down my left chest and find sitting still makes it more stiffer than when moving around

Steve

Hi Steve
I still have a little pain and weakness in my left shoulder/upper are, which comes and goes. The main after effects were personality based i.e. a bit more emotional at times, and being ‘short/grumpy’ with those close to me, which stems from a degree of fatigue (worse than just feeling tired) but I now recognise it early and overcome it with a proper lie down/sleep that normally lasts 20 to 60 mins.
All the best.

1 Like

Hi, I was due to fly for the first time this year after stroke 3 years ago and I declared my disability and was promised help in airport and also fast track through security at no charge. I just had to advise my airline company. Unfortunately I can’t tell you how it went as 10 days before we were due to leave we were advised the hotel in Corfu had decided to close early! They offered an “upgrade” to a hotel on a steep hillside :frowning: So we requested a refund, booked a ferry and drove to a villa in Spain…masters of our destiny which I find very comforting post stroke! Good luck with the holiday-try requesting for airport assistance x

1 Like

Hi Monk
Just back from 2 weeks in Tenerife and weather was as you describe. 6 months after stroke and no effects after the 4 hour flights. Sun bed by the pool great for recovery and I did read 4 books during my time there Go for it.

2 Likes

Hi Hillclimber
Thanks for the reply just wandered how the flight affected you, as I have muscle stiffness down my left chest and arm and if I sit still for a period of time I find it hard to move but I can walk OK now. Take it easy as a lot of my symptoms appeared after three months and are still appearing now after 5 months.

Good Luck Steve

I had a stroke in April 2020 I was so scared of going abroad best thing I ever did. I felt at my best as I normally feel tired, muscle aches, migraines, and walking is very hard for me and so miserable but the heat makes a difference to your body and it’s so relaxing and stress free ENJOY

2 Likes

I am about to travel for the third time I agree with all the warmth makes such a difference I was a four hour flight always conscious of keeping my feet moving but I tend to sleep a lot on flights

2 Likes

Hello, sorry to be joining this chat a bit late. I hope you enjoyed your trip. I just want to say that I have flown twice since my stroke (Dec 2021) and suffered no ill effects from flying. We always book ‘special assistance’ to avoid having to stand in the queue for checking in. It’s great to get somewhere warm, especially now the weather at home is so cold. I am looking forward to flying to Fuerteventura in January!

2 Likes