Volunteers Needed to Develop New Exercises for Movement and Health after Stroke

Adaora Okemuo from Buckinghamshire New University is looking for volunteers able to travel to sites in High Wycombe and Aylesbury to take part a twelve week study exploring movement rehabilitation.

Some volunteers will take part in a twelve week course taking place three times a week, using fun and engaging rehabilitation exercises to help regain lost movement and independence.

What is the study about?

Stroke can often affect people’s movement, which can increase the risk of falls, decrease walking speed and reduce quality of life.

The main focus of stroke rehabilitation is to help regain lost functions and independence by restoring walking abilities, improving walking speed, reducing risk of falls and improving quality of life.

We want to test the effect of something called rebound exercise on rehabilitation. This is designed to be as effective but more fun and engaging than traditional exercise methods.

We are asking people affected by stroke to take part in a trial to contribute to the development of new rehabilitation tools and potentially discover a new enjoyable way to remain physically active!

What will it Involve?

You will be randomly assigned into an intervention or control group, with both groups asked to visit the Buckinghamshire New University campus three times over twelve weeks for routine assessments.

The intervention group will be invited to visit us** once or twice a week (according to your preference) **for 12 weeks to participate in 30-45min rebound exercise training sessions.

The control group will continue with your daily behaviour and routine physiotherapy treatment.

At the end of the 12 weeks, some participants in the rebound group will be invited for a 45 minutes interview with the researcher to explore their experiences and views of the rebound exercise training.

Who can take part?

I am looking for people aged 18 and over** **with neurological disorders such as stroke, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease and acquired brain injury.

You will need to be able to stand and walk for at least 2 minutes with or without a walking aid and to understand therapy instructions.

The trial will take place at the High Wycombe and Aylesbury campuses of Buckinghamshire New University, so you will need to be able to travel to this location. Travel expenses will not be reimbursed.

How Can I Register my Interest?

For more information, please contact Adaora Okemuo in the research team on adaora.okemuo@bucks.ac.uk

This sound interesting but I can’t get to Buckinghamshire I’m afraid karma I lived in Peterborough and I need my husband drive me. Hope you find what your looking for :blush: