Tiredness

I had mm stroke in sept2017 and  tirednessand fatigue is all ppar oo tth strokexx

I had my stroke in sept 2017 and tiredness aan fatigfeis the main issis of a stroke

Dear Sue

The fatigue is my biggest problem. Far more of us are suffering this yet it seems almost ignored by the NHS.

Last week I started a determined effort to deal with the SF. So it was the first of two nurses appointments to check me out. The practice nurse is alarmed by my low pulse rate and suggest I consider cahnging the indapamide tablest that I currently take.

I know that I must have my full night times sleep (for me its 7.5hrs) or the SF just goes berserk. 

I rest a lot during the day. In fact I rest 10 hours or so every day. This is of course destroying my life.

On the plus side, at least all the other stroke issues have eased so much to mean that SF is the big issue !

Colin

I still suffer badly with tiredness and fatigebut also I hate being left on my own 

Hi my name is Tom  ihad mine 4 years I still suffer from fatigue you just pace yourself  and good  luck 

It helps a lot of us SS if we can relax. Or meditate. I sit and relax for twenty minutes several times a day, clearing my mind of evrything, often then I fall asleep. I need this to enable me to be active through a day. Calms me down. And I enjoy the peace and solitude. This also means I like to be alone for a while.

I also do gentle yoga andI also attend a month;y group "relax and renew". I reckon this helps your brain to work away at sorting things out.

Best wishes

Colin

I have not reported this post as offensive 

im 5 years post stroke, fatigue was worst thing initially, thought it was improving and much improved over first two years but recently seemed to have relapsed into feeling the same and similar onset, is this normal? is it likely to be PSF or maybe something else. I know the triggers and signs from before but i seem to be back to needing sleep during the day, last few weeks

im 5 years post stroke, fatigue was worst thing initially, thought it was improving and much improved over first two years but recently seemed to have relapsed into feeling the same and similar onset, is this normal? is it likely to be PSF or maybe something else. I know the triggers and signs from before but i seem to be back to needing sleep during the day, last few weeks

Dear PAul

I dont know what PSF stands for. Is that post stroke fatigue ? Werent the medics calling it post stroke tiredness in our days ?

You are similar to me in as much as I got improvement but it seems to have stopped and even reversed.

So no, I dont think your situation is normal. Not unique, certainly unusual.

Darker days might be a problem. I use one of those special lights to help a it.

Is your heart rate up to scratch ? My pulse has fallen to around 50bpm and so its no wonder I am tired. I believe the tablets Indapamide might cause this problem. I have reverted to seeing a GP and I will share the results, when they come. Its all blood tests etc at the moment.

I too sleep (I call it nap) in the day even after getting a decent 7.5hrs night time sleep. The naps arent ordinary sleep, I wake refreshed and none of the yawning etc that sleep often brings.

BTW did you ever have days when the SF totally lifted ? How did that feel ?

On the wider front, there is lots of research into fatigue, most of it for people with ME/CFS.

Back in 2015 the tiredness wasnt really recognized. So things are changing and lets hope we get some benefit

Dont lose hope

Colin

Thanks Colin,  I realise there's many reasons potentially,  yes PSF  is post-stroke fatigue. i dont think its like "normal" fatigue or tiredness most people have, at least not for me . I just wondered if its now a problem again as it feels the same, no my HR is similar, fairly low normally.  Yes indeed ive had many good days, but i was told in rehab its like having a bag of coins and once theyre spent they are spent. I get that now. For me new, unusual things tire me quicker. 

I agree light is a problem  too for many people i will try and get the correct frequency bulb.

Look up 'Spoon Theory'. It is a brilliant explanation of living with a limited energy supply.

Hi Janet, thanks that is a similar principle, coins, spoons but there is much more useful stuff about spoons ive found. it true that before stroke i had almost limitless spoons or at least didn't think/worry about it. it could be a useful theory to explain to my boss especially as he's a scientist. im thinking that some activities cost me more spoons than expected if it a new thing. Anyway, I'm thinking I'm low or out of spoons recently and need  recharging,frown

You are right about unusual things. I can do quite a lot such as gardenning, vacuuming, coffee mornings but as soon as I go to new territory the SF descends heavily.

best wishes

Colin

Thank you for your advise. I will look into it. Also do you know anything about PFO?

Many thanks for that, at the moment we are both in the 'shielded' category so I'm loathed to have anyone in. I do hear what you say though, thanks. Not easy all round at the moment. Take care and kep safe, Alan.  

It is hard coping with SF Dolly. I had stroke in early March this year and although have recovered use of right side again{after hour exercise during the day and persevering} am still left with SF and find it so frustrating when I was fairly active and swimming 3 times week before. Its helpful to read that other people have cotinuous bouts of SF some days better than others, but keep persevering and accept that life is different and hopefully it will get better. I say tomyself if ever there was a convenient time to have a stroke it was in March at the start of the lockdown! I couldnt go anywhere for weeks so had no choice but to stay home! Fortunately for me my famiy made sure I had only 1 day in hospital and someone stayed with me for 4 weeks to help with recovery,so very grateful for this as living alone would have been difficult. Stroke services are brilliant and perseverance of physios with exercises, advice and videoes have all helped with recovery. Find it very frustrating dealing with SF but have to realse that I have had a stroke and learn to deal with it!  Keep thinking positive Dolly you are not alone! Rita

Thank you Rita for your nice letter

I wish you well I wish there was a pen pal page on here so that we could write to people  privately stay safe love Dolly

You can send a private message. 

Hi Dolly, if you click on the "My Messages" section of this forum, you can communicate directly with the person you want to contact.  You then have to hope that they are checking messages this way as well, or they may not see your message!  

Hope it works, love Nic x