The Duvet again

Changing a duvet is very much about my life post stroke. Firstly, I never want to do it. But then I think, do I really want to end up reliant on others? And so the task begins.

Once underway, I am very aware of the lack of sensitivity in my left hand. I use it, but it’s not as effective as my right. However, I know there’s no point in dwelling on this or my inability to flick the end of a changed duvet and see it fall gently into place immediately. Instead, it’s a question of taking things steady, resting every so often and telling myself I have done this before and succeeded. Pressing the poppers together or doing up the buttons is difficult but manageable. Buttons are done up mostly one handed.

Dwelling on what you can’t do is the fastest route to doing nothing and I refuse to go down it. Job done today in half an hour, which is good for me…and I have a clean bed to sleep in. Oh, I went a bit mad afterwards and wiped over bedside cabinets with a Mr Sheen wipe.

Having a rest now.

4 Likes

@John_Jeff_Maynard I too embarked on changing the duvet a couple of days ago. I have the full use of my left hand again but I still get dizziness. Like you nothing ventured nothing gained & whilst it took me much longer than before & I also had to rest a bit along the way, I had a nice clean duvet to clamber into that night. It’s a great feeling when you manage to do these things isn’t it. Us 1 - Stroke 0 :grin:

2 Likes

Hello @John_Jeff_Maynard . Been there with the duvet. It gets easier or at least you develop hacks. But it needs to be done, so have to get on, sleep well​:+1::sleeping: Julia

1 Like

I can now change the bedclothes (literally) single handed. It takes a while and I end up looking as though I’ve been pulled through a hedge backwards, but it gives me a wonderful sense of achievement. The buttons are such a pain to do up though!

4 Likes

@John_Jeff_Maynard, I just wrote in another reply that it has taken me a year to be able to make the bed. I love hoovering now, because I know how to do it, and it takes my mind off things. I’m very precise because I take each task slowly, and do it thoroughly as I feel I have the time. The duvet for me was a huge challenge, working out where the ends were, aligning everything up, the waving of the cover and duvet would disorientate me, and then the arduous buttoning up at the end. I used to reserve an evening for that task in the early days. Now, I almost look forward to it, just me and the duvet, together again for another change over.

That wiping down of the bedside cabinets is a good touch. A job well done. Other people appreciate our efforts, my philosophy is that although I can’t multitask anymore, I can at least focus on one job and do it to the best of my abilities. That’s got to put an inner smile on someone’s face. Forget running the world, here’s to tidying up that corner, and pleasure it brings.

2 Likes

@Rups Good morning. I love this idea and attitude. I have attached this approach to my garden. I am unlikely to return to work, so this is the first year I have any amount of time to take my time and albeit slowly work my way through it, doing every bit as well as I can manage. I was previously a bit slap dash due to trying to fit everything in but no longer. If there is a flip side, I’ll take it. Tidy corners, comfy clean duvets, and tidy borders🌷. Julia

2 Likes

Well done, it took me about a week to do the buttons on my duvet, I did one a night before going to sleep :rofl: Its such a great feeling doing these little but difficult jobs yourself, I’m also trying to do a few jobs that I’ve been relying on others to do since my stroke, I’ll get them done yes i’ll be slower and a few hacks will be used but if there’s one thing I’m determined :grinning:

4 Likes

I can the bed, but it takes me ages to do, but glad do it.
Separately I am learning type again to give my fingers more dexterity. it takes me a long time o even do this

Well done you. The more you do, the more you will improve.