Talking

This forum is tricky to use, I have frequently the same problems you described and it is very annoying to be told there is a message from someone and having to click to read it!

Recovery from a stroke is very demanding and I have found that discussing things with other victims has solved a few problems for me. The alternative is to save up all one's questions for a visit to one's doctor, who has a tricky job keeping up with his really sick visitors.

Lunchtime now, I expect you are still sleeping!

Deigh

Hi Deigh,

I found reading aloud extremely helpful, as well as singing along to songs I knew well! It improved things alot. Though when I'm particularly tired or ill the wrong word will slip out or nothing will come out at all. For the majority, though it really did make all the difference!

M xx

I am a terrible singer. I gave up singing in public the day after I purchased my first ree-to-reel tape recorder! Up till that time I'd never heard myself and thought I was good. Now I've started again, loudly, when doing the dishes and no-one can hear. It must be good exercise!

Deigh

Haha yes perfect! Why not eh!? Xx M

My husband had his stroke March 18. It left him with severe aphasia, plus he is unable to write what he wants either. It is very frustrating for him as he knows what he wants to say, but it won’t come out. We have a private speech therapist once a week, and an adhoc NHS one. He attends a stroke assoc aphasia group once a week, which is god for him as he feels very self conscious about it. He has an app which he uses. He can read the paper and get the gist of it. Any other tips to help him? 

Keep doing exactly what he is doing. My aphasia eased away and after six months I could communicate OK. Now, after 40 months I can communicate well and I can even sing a bit (no recording contracts on the horizon, but to just manage a few songs is lovely). I tried to not worry about it and just let the words come out when and if they thought fit. Loss of memory also plays its part, again I dont force anything and I get by.

Please say hello to your husand from a fellow SS.

Best wishes Colin

Hi Jeb, so sorry to hear about your husband I do know how frustrating it is for him and you also as my partner is the same. He does have a good app Predictable which is helpful but we find drawing (Draw it) app which is free really helpful especially when word finding is difficult . Also google maps have helped to let me know about where he wants to go etc . I have also screen shot things or places we go regularly so he can get the picture from his photos. Hope this is helpful for you certainly worth trying it to help to reduce the frustration for you both.

sue x

Hi Deighton I had my stroke fours years ago which left me hard of hearing and speaking. I am member of a male voice choir which as helped me out with my words but hearing still a problem. I am still at it but I will get there one day friends are the best thing for me.

Vincent