Sudden stroke

Hi everyone, my name is Vicky.
Three weeks ago I went to bed one night perfectly healthy and woke up having had a stroke!
Fortunately my son was coming in the door bringing my grandson for me to look after as normal; there was nothing normal about the rest of that day. The paramedics came very quickly and then hospital, scans, tests and so on. I wasn’t in hospital for long and am staying with family until I get a stair rail fitted.
It has all been a massive shock and although I am mobile-ish and it was a right brain stroke so I am still able to to talk etc my left side is weak and heavy.
I am still coming to terms with the many many changes to my life both major and minor - I got so frustrated when I couldn’t tie my hair back!
No one told me about the tiredness and reading about other people’s experiences of it on here really helped.
Thank you for letting me ramble on, today is the first time I have felt like writing about it.

10 Likes

Hi Vicky. Sorry to hear youve had a stroke. I too had a right side stroke back in October completely out of the blue. You sound as if you are doing very well. Im hobbling around with a stick in the house and my left arm is useless although my hand is improving. Its a very slow job a fact which Im having difficulty coming to terms with as I normally do everything quickly and am always in a hurry! This is a lovely Forum and you will get lots of help and tips here. Take care Janet

1 Like

Morning Vicky1 feel free to moan and rant if you want , we’ve all been there and at times still do. But it does get better and you’re still at the stage when the brain is working hard to repair pathways and it does drain you, ask away here if things frustrate or puzzle you. The Stroke Association has a series of free booklets that helped me immensely in the first few months. Keep posting and welcome to our special club

1 Like

Thank you. I’m so used to doing what I want when I want - now I can’t! I know it will get better but I’m not good at waiting.

Thank you. My left arm has a mind of its own but like you the hand is improving slowly. I know I’ve got a long way to go and I’m finding that this forum is very helpful and kind.

@Vicky1 welcome to this friendly forum. Sorry you’ve had a stroke. Must have been scary waking up to find it had happened over night. Lots of rest & revuperation will be needed initially & a bucket load of patience. Finding a balance between pushing yourself & resting is important. I was someone who used to be very very busy but in an instant that all changed. Took some getting used to but now I don’t mind being less busy.
Good luck on your recovery journey. You’ll find lots of support here.

Ann xx

1 Like

Thank you, I’m already finding that there’s a lot of support and kindness here.

2 Likes

Hi Vicky --I’m sorry to hear you’re going through this. I just want to offer that in the coming days and weeks it is important to use the affected side as much as possible. It is with use that the brain relearns and rewires–by repetition. After my stroke 4 years ago, I used to make myself eat, reach, etc. with the weak, heavy side. Even though it was difficult and I dropped a lot, that side again became stronger over time. Tiredness is to be expected since your brain is doing a lot of healing-(though you can’t see it, like a cut or burn) Don’t let it ( the stroke) beat you. Keep on keepin’ on. Hang in there. It will get better. :slightly_smiling_face:Jeanne

1 Like

Hello Vicky,
I’m also relatively new to the forum, I’m sorry you’ve had to join yourself but if letting off steam and ranting helps then you are in good hands.
The members on here all have different experiences and offer loads of support.
I’ve just reached my 1 calendar month milestone and started driving short distances again.
There is one thing I’ve started to do this last month and that is to listen to what my body is telling me.
I often have good days and feel guilty so try to do housework or something to compensate for how I feel, however I soon find myself needing a nannan nap to get over it.
Rest well and follow the guidance of your community stroke team or health professionals involved with your aftercare.

Gem

2 Likes

Hi, Welcome to this forum Vicky and Gemma, sorry to hear of your stroke. There’s always someone here to listen and to offer advice and words of wisdom. I have turned to the group on many occasions since my stroke 6 years ago.

Regards Sue

2 Likes

I had a subarachnoid haemorrhagic stroke of the right basal ganglia in april 2016. Out of the blue, after going to bed. Diagnosed with obscenely high blood pressure. Lost strength in left side but considering my wife was told to expect the worst on day 1 i left Doncaster Royal infirmary after 11 days . Spent 10 months off work then retired after 10 months back at work. Too well not to be pensioned off on ill health grounds, too well to qualify for any state support and too young for my state pension. I felt robbed of my career, strength was tired most of the time and only in 2021 was i diagnosed with sleep apnea. I drive and do all what I’d say are normal things, but have little upper body strength and tasks take literally 10 times longer. This wasnt supposed to be depressing more a “you are a survivor,” different maybe like a version 2.0 of yourself but have faith confidence, take all support offered and relish the challenges as they arise

Welcome to the group ! I had a left side stroke nearly two years ago now, and like yours, it happened at night when I least expected it - although I’d had a few TIAs recently so knew something was up ! My brain has slowly - and the word is SLOWLY - rewired itself but it’s been good to have input from the drs, physios and a load of exercises to do to help regain strength and stamina. Also chatting to this lovely group of survivors has really helped. It’s good to know that there are others going through the same stuff and get their support !

1 Like

Hi Vicky
So sorry you’re had a stroke, look after yourself it will get better.
Don’t overdo it, get plenty rest.
The hair thing can really identify with, have to still get my hubby todo.
Take care

Carol x

1 Like

I had my stroke 15.5 years ago, and it took a long time, 3 months, before I was able to come home. The stroke affected the right hand side of my body, and at first I had no movement in either my right arm or leg. That’s just for background.

The main thing is that you say your left side is weak and heavy. It may be weak, that can be put down to not being able to use the muscles and keep them in trim. But heavy, no it isn’t. Your brain is doing what mine did, and eventually I worked out why. Because you don’t have as much control of your left side as before, your brain is deciding on reasons for that. In my case, because I could not move my right arm or leg, they felt very heavy. I knew that they weren’t, but my brain decided that because it couldn’t move them, they must be very heavy, made of lead.

Don’t fight that, your brain is happy that it has a reason for being unable to do things that were natural before. Keep pushing, the more use you can make of the left side, the more normal it will get, both in use and ‘weight’. At my age, I’m fighting lack of mobility, and other age related things, so I’m never going to regain full use of my arm and leg. I’ve got sufficient, but the fine adjustments have gone. The main aim will be to carry a full cup of tea in your left hand, without spilling.

Keep fighting, you’ve survived this far.

2 Likes

Thank you Ken. That’s very interesting about the brain, I hadn’t thought of it that way. I am going slowly, slowly; I actually can’t do things anything other way but slow. But I am making progress and that’s the main thing.
I hope you are doing well,
Vicky

Hi Breva,
I think that making yourself feel more like you is a good thing.
I managed to to the hairdresser yesterday - first outing for me and it went ok. Everyone was very understanding and helpful. My fringe is no longer down to my nose :sweat_smile:.
Vicky

Hi Vicky,

Yes , this group does help. Your stroke nurse will help loads when you see them in a couple of months, mine did. Yes, tiredness is a real pain, I rest the day before, if I want to go somewhere and then the day after too, I need too. Things will get better but don’t push yourself or take on too much in the first year, as your body is a bit like a volcano you may get aftershocks. Just take every day as it comes and in a few years time, most people will never even know you have had a stroke. Think of it as natures beach holiday. Good luck, Marilyn

Hi @Vicky1 , welcome to the community and well done on sharing your story with us. Stay positive and keep working on things and you will see improvements.