Splint recommendations?

My fingers are getting into the bad habit of curling I feel them doing it through the day I’m constantly trying to keep them straight but they must be doing it throughout the night when I’m asleep, I’ve had a look on Amazon there’s a few resting hand splints, just wondered if anyone here has any recommendations?

Hi, I’m 5 years post stroke which paralysed my left side and my fingers do the same. I haven’t actually purchased a splint on line. I have always had mine made to measure by an OT at the hospital, so can’t really comment on those you buy yourself. I have an appointment on Thursday at the Spasticity Clinic in the hospital where I spent 12 weeks in Rehab and who made my first splint.

Have you considered having Botox injections ? I had my first dose as an inpatient at the hospital during my 12 weeks in Rehab and now return to the Spasticity Clinic as an out patient.

Regards

Sue

Hi @Susan_Jane its my left side as well I’ve been discharged from OT, don’t like the sound of Botox injections :scream: I’ve got pretty good movement in my hand I just want to nip this curling in the bud in case it leads to further issues.

Hi @Loshy Ive just looked up carpal tunnel the symptoms sound like what I have been getting which I had thought were nerves repairing, I’m going to make an appointment with my gp see what they think. Hope your hands feel better soon.

1 Like

@Loshy yes I never imagined Stroke could cause so many smallish but very annoying things, that’ll be me using earplugs, eye mask and a splint in bed … it’s a good job I’m not trying to impress anyone :joy: Thats good your getting the injection quickly everything here is taking forever with waiting lists. Good luck with it and thanks for the info.

3 Likes

Hi there Ifound fes treatment really works.They put the pads on your arm.The Electric pulses opens your fingers. Take care.Triciax

1 Like

Hi,
I have the same problem. I did buy one of the splints on Amazon when my old splint broke. The problem is that they are ‘one size fits all’, so don’t keep the fingers held securely enough to stop them from curling. I had the same problem with the (very expensive) Saebo Stretch splint. The best thing would be to speak to your GP about getting one made for you by a stroke unit/clinic. They’re made from thermo plastic and will exactly fit your hand size.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone, I seen my doctor yesterday and do have carpal tunnel she wasn’t sure about using a splint as its in my affected hand/arm and is worried a splint might make the arm worse so I’ve been referred to the hand clinic at hospital, she did mention they might want to do a small procedure.

1 Like

thanks @Loshy I had a quick google last night but didnt read too much, I’m very squeamish and the the thought of operations always scare me but if this can be fixed then I’ll be going for it. Be great to know how you get on, hope it all goes well for you

:heart:Sharon

2 Likes

Around 14 years since my stroke now - right harm still has a mind of it’s own. However, to prevent my fingers folding in, I use a support glove - which works well. Either with finger tips - or without - gives the support necessary to encourage the fingers not to fold inwards.

1 Like

thanks i’ll have a look for one of those, my fingers are practically creaking when i straighten them some mornings.

I am 12 years post stroke, my right hand side was/is severely affected. I am not able to walk unaided and my right arm is both painful and spastic.
Initially the physiotherapy department in the hospital tried to loosen everything up - no joy. The OT made me a perfect fit splint but as I changed I was given new, tailor made ones every year. In the end my Physiotherapist, with a lot of research, recommended a pressure garment. These are tailor made for me by Jobskin (look them up on Google) following measurements taken by my Physio. (A very exacting and time consuming job). They are perfect! I get them changed regularly because I change and they wear out eventually… They are not cheap but they are worth it. They are worth looking at.

2 Likes

hi @Ray_IOM welcome to the forum sorry to hear your stroke affected you so much pleased to hear though that you found a splint that helps, I will definitely look them up hopefully my appointment at the hospital clinic won’t be too long.

1 Like

Hi NapQueen, good luck!
You do need a good Physio (Mine is a jewel). Jobskin do deal with the public for ready made garments but will not supply tailor made without the support of a Physio. The measuring and necessary reinforcements need an expert input.
Kind regards
Ray

1 Like

Hi just thought I’d update, i had a splint made yesterday by OT at my local hospital, she was excellent it was only Momday she called was initially going to send me out a standard splint then decided to squeeze me in at lunchtime and make one. It was nice waking up this morning and not uncurling my fingers!

2 Likes

Fantastic news. Taylor made is really good if you can get it.

That’s good news. I spoke to the physio last week about the splint that broke during lockdown and he’s referring me to the hospital to get a new one made. Hooray!

1 Like

We bought a stroke resting hand splint from Amazon and the physio bent it to the right shape. it has worked well. The thermoplastic hospital one proved too small to cope with swelling and they never replaced it. So my husband came home from hospital with a tight claw and can now fully open his hand with help at rest.

1 Like

My hands gets really shaky