Self-care behaviour in family caregivers of individuals with acquired brain injury – take part in a survey

The Research Team have received a request to share information about the below research study for any caregivers/partners who may be interested in taking part in the survey:

My name is Bethanie and I am a third year Trainee Clinical Psychologist at the University of Southampton. As part of my Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, I am conducting a research study exploring self-care behaviour in spouse and partner caregivers of individuals with an acquired brain injury. Self-care behaviour refers to actions that individuals may take to improve and maintain their general health and well-being, for example exercising regularly, eating a healthy diet and engaging in activities that promote enjoyment and connection to others.

Research has shown that family caregivers often find it difficult to engage in self-care, which may have a negative impact on physical and emotional well-being. Our study is hoping to understand the factors that may influence self-care. This information may help us to identify interventions that promote self-care and thus improve the health and well-being of family caregivers.

We are looking for people to take part in this study who meet the following criteria:

• Are aged 18+
  • Live in the UK
  • In a relationship with someone who had an acquired brain injury.
  • Currently provides care or support to their spouse/partner as a result of this injury. (This may involve helping with daily activities, e.g., cooking, cleaning, shopping, personal care and transport, or providing any other type of care which supports their emotional and physical wellbeing).

Unfortunately, caregivers of individuals with any type of dementia are not eligible to take part in this study.

The study will involve completing an anonymous online survey (paper copies also available if needed), which we estimate will take approximately 30 minutes. The survey will include some questions about yourself and your loved one. It will ask about your lifestyle, your attitudes towards self-care, your thoughts and feelings about caregiving and your experiences of living by your values. On completion of the survey, you have the option to enter a prize draw for a £50 amazon voucher.

If you are interested in taking part, please visit the website here.

If you have any questions or would like to complete a paper copy of the questionnaire, please contact Bethanie Jones (Trainee Clinical Psychologist) via bj3n19@soton.ac.uk.