Self assembly furniture

Taking my old mantra of anything is possible I leapt to the challenge of aiding my wife in self assembly furniture a small boy wardrobe, after over 20 years of building one thing or another, I admit defeat apart from applying my very strong right arm to some screws and moral support I have had to admit defeat and leave it until tomorrow, more updates then but for now time to pause

1 Like

@mrfrederickson I admire your enthusiasm. Flat pack furniture was a nightmare pre stroke. No hope for me post stroke :rofl::rofl:

Yes poor design, not disable friendly, will get back to it tomorrow morning :sun_with_face:

1 Like

I don’t know how you are affected, but my right hand side is all but unusable. I can only proceed now with a left hand meaning any attempts at almost anything are at best totally cack handed.
You don’t realise until post stroke how most activity assumes full use of two hands, arms, whatever. Having only one available means you cannot even do half a job.

I feel sympathy but can offer no words that can be of any use to make it work better.
Maybe, cry a little, laugh a little and hope someone willing to help out will be along.

keep on keepin on,
bob

and maybe . . .
delegate ! ! :grinning:

is that why Napoleon has one arm tucked in his jacket ?

2 Likes

Hi Bob , you got me thinking about Nelson, missing an arm and a eye, and still up for a fight what a guy makes me feel a wimp

1 Like

@Pds His only fault, he never knew how to dodge the cannon balls.

A lesson worth learning. Maybe it is on Youtube or Zoom?

Update, I am left side HEMA plegic but my rhs is awesome thankfully which meant I was able to support my dear wife in putting some screws in we will continue tomorrow.

I have shed many years over losing my left side not through thegrieving process yet but live in hope as both leg and arm show positive signs of recovery. Keep your chin up and keep on plugging away.

2 Likes

All assembled joint effort with my good lady, won’t buy anymore self assembly furniture again even if it is a good price

1 Like

I used to build furniture with my job from 4 door robes to tables bed side chests practical anything my wife bought a 2 door robe l attempted after 2hours up and down like a yo-yo in between dizzy spells o gave up
Phone my son help required I can finish it took him 20 minutes l had to admit defeat

Never a great handyman but just about coped with basic flat furniture. My greatest achievement was a wall storage unit, three months after stroke had to move, wife cleared it my job was to dismantle it. First hurdle motivating myself to go to garage to get tools, enter garage overcome with frustration and emotion had to go back in doors for rest as exhausted. In stages over a few days got my act together and when my wife went out one day thought I’d surprise her by having it dismantled by the time she got home :+1::hugs: NO ! Just looking at task made me feel I’ll. But I was washing up, stacking logs and a few other chores but could not face it. Enter my famous egg timer ( wife’s idea bless her) yes I managed it over several days in bursts of 15 mins work 15 rest. Year on using same technique put it up, ok a bit of swearing at times but a boost of confidence. Should state I have know physical problems just visual

Self assembly furniture always causes room for swearing & cursing even pre stroke. Massive applause for anyone who manages it post stroke

My hubby is a carpenter & I always vacate when he sets too on flat pack furniture. It’s the one thing that really riles him :rofl::rofl:

1 Like