Saying Hello

Hi everyone I’m Geoff. 4 years ago age 52 I was in Pets at Home when I felt dizzy, so dizzy in fact I grabbed on some pet food and sat on bags of something. I insisted I was ok to everyone (maybe wrong thing to do). I managed to drive back home where, shaken, I slowly started calming down. A couple of hours later, it happened again followed by 2 weeks of constant migraine i.e. as soon as the migraine cleared, it started again. It felt like I bad huge pressure on the back of my neck and head that made standing up very uncomfortable, so, I thought I should see the doctor. He referred me to the T.I.A. clinic and the following day it was confirmed I had a small stroke/T.I.A.

I was then in and out of hospital with suspected stroke but it was deemed these were hemiplegic migraines. However, I needed a stick to prevent falling as my balance would sometimes cause me to veer off to my right, it is my right side that has been affected. I was at Uni at the time but living at home thankfully and found my concentration and ability to process things very hard. Since then, I have had two heart attacks and still here :grinning: I thought a T.I.A. was just a minor thing that went away however, I still use my stick for balance, and, when tired, stumble a lot. Other times I feel full of energy and start to do something only to run out of all my get up and go.

I know everyone’s story here is different and I consider myself lucky, it’s just that my P.I.P. assessor said after all this time it will never get any better. I receive P.I.P. with motability thankfully so car worries (other than petrol) are not an issue. I still get highly emotional at times when realising I simply can’t do the things I loved to like climbing down rocks and cliffs to fish in secluded areas etc: To be honest, I actually feel a bit lost. Does anyone or has anyone had similar issues.

I Thank those who have read this, as this is my first post I was even unsure posting this but here I am :upside_down_face:

1 Like

@Woolamala welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your stroke & heart attacks. You’re made of strong stuff. I too drove home after having my stroke…although didn’t know I’d had a stroke at the time. As with most others I too have emotional days & still suffer fatigue. I am just 4 mths post stroke.
I hope you find this forum as useful as I’ve found it. There are so many friendly people on here.

1 Like

Hello Woolamala. Yes, I loved being outdoors. Mountain walking, football matches and loads more.
One thing I am learning to do is re-invent myself. Looking for new interests that are within my abilities and goals that are achievable. Even something like having a train ride just to sit and admire the view.
This forum and other similar sites have been very good. Being able to talk with people in the same boat is very encouraging.
I have also got Freesat installed on my TV. I can access BBC Scotland with that. They have some wonderful Scottish outdoor programmes so I have virtual trips now!

1 Like

Hi Woolama welcome. Some good advice already given like the idea of a train ride which I’ve yet to pluck up courage for. Was an active outdoor type and after a year slowly picking up threads but have to be realistic that you have to wave goodbye to certain activities and take up new ones but never give up hoping as it’s been said on this site a few times we know more about the Universe than the brain so stay positive. Fellow traveler a while back and no youngster traveled from London to West coast of Scotland with rucksack and fishing rod with restricted vision, inspirational. Pds

1 Like

I had my stroke one year ago aged 69. I live on my own after losing my husband a year previous. I have suffered with vertigo for about 5 years. About a month before my stroke I fell and hit my head very badly. About a week later I phoned my dr. to say I was getting funny headaches and vision problems. Got told to go to opticians.,nothing wrong with my eyes. It was about 8 in the morning stood in the bathroom and I felt my mouth go numb and my left leg gave way. I sat myself on the loo as I felt I was going to fall.felt like I was going to pass out so laid myself on the floor but then started being sick. Managed to crawl into bedroom and phone my grandaughter. Next I knew I was being-assessed by an ambulance crew. Nearly two weeks in hospital before they decided I had a stroke two weeks on general medical ward before I was sent to a stroke ward. After several days there I was then transferred to another hospital. Whilst there after just about three days of physio and barely being able to stand was told I could be discharged. There was a lot of consultation with physio and occupational therapy about going to my home to see how I would cope on my own and what aids were needed but they were originally happy to let me go without any of these checks being done. After a few more weeks I went to stay at my daughters but as you all know nothing like you own home. When my daughter phoned about having an assessment done in my own home they said they thought I was living with her now. Eventually they got me home with some grab rails and other things pit in place. One year on, I’m still funny on my left hand side and use a stick to help my balance but, hey I’m back now laying lawn bowls and driving again. The,one thing that gets to me is the fatigue and emotion. Can cry every day for no reason. Oh and my daughter thinks I Have terrets syndrome m language is dreadful

2 Likes

Well, good morning everyone and thank your replies :sunglasses: I have been hovering around this site a little while just reading posts and thought I would introduce myself. It’s great to hear from everyone. As a former marathon runner I am beginning to feel that a stroke is in it’s own way like this I.E. you’re all in your own marathon however, everyone’s experience is different and we all face our own mental challenges as well as physical. I guess, the first thing for me is to accept this. Yes it was 4 years ago but I have been thinking ‘it will get better and go away’ even when I had my heart attack I went to uni 10 days later laughing and joking about the fact I actually dropped on the living room floor and my daughter had to get the ambulance followed by a week in C.C.U. The way I saw it was ‘THIS IS ME, things like this don’t happen to me, not like this’. Kind of funny really as had Non-Hodgkin’s disease as a child which left my right arm impaired. I mean, that I could handle, this is an entirely different battle. I just see myself very lucky that I am still here considering what could have happened. Watching Emmerdale with Marlons story was very difficult for me to watch, it really hit me how lucky I actually am and to try and make the most of each and every day :sunglasses: :sunglasses: Thank you every one for sharing your journeys :upside_down_face:

1 Like

You’ve come to the best place for support and tips hard to get any support these days I think a lot of it which area you live you be on a roller coaster for some time Bob on to this site and you get encouragement and keep your spirits up re.ember slow and steady wins the race all the best for your recovery

2 Likes

My language is getting very choice. Even my grandaughter says it’s because you’ve had a stroke grandma. She is 28 so not as if I’m swearing in front of a child thank god. We just blame everything now on me having the stroke. Just wish I could get over this very emotional side of me crying at the drop of a hat. I’m fortunate I have amazing family and friends although I lost my sister last September, she had a massive brain aneurysm after playing golf all day.think with everything that’s gone on lately it’s like suffering with Post traumatic stress . I just start crying at nice songs or watching nice dancing. Can’t watch the news anymore I’m a physical wreckxx

Hi Woollama you sound like you’ve taken it all on board and staying pretty positive, well as anyone who’s been stricken can be. Like so many here you asked why me a marathon runner ? I said why me a very fit and healthy no illness bloke,just the odd not too serious breaks and sprains. Now trying to come to terms with what’s happened, not having any physical problems just visual it’s getting my permanent bad hangover head sorted out. Go for day’s chirpy then wallop ! Overdone something and have a melt down. Been told by others further down healing road “it gets better.:hugs: Pds1

1 Like

Thank you Lorraine. I can honestly say I’ve had an horrific few years or, as the Queen said Annus horriblis. My daughter was diagnosed 4 years ago with a heart condition called Brugada syndrome. , then her husband with Crohn’s disease. My hubby died 2 years ago then two brother in laws one sister in law. My sister two dear friends my stroke. Got to thinking someone up there doesn’t like me. But hey I’m still here. Got my grandaughters wedding next year and summer hols to look forward to I’m off this weekend to Surrey my great niece aged six has many health problems and has spent a lot of time in Great Ormond Street and the Make a Wish Foundation has donated 3 days in a Manor House so most of the family meeting up. There are 11 bedrooms in total so looking forward to great weekend. Take care :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Wow @janella69 thats a lot for you to cope with but you’re still standing. Well done for coming through it all. Enjoy the good things you have coming up……if anyone deserves it you do. Take care xx

2 Likes

Thank you. I’m so excited about this meet up. I think a lot of us have not mentioned covid in all our comments and the effect it’s also played during this last couple of years. I know while I was in hospital the lack of visitors has a hard thing to come to terms,with. Never thought I would say thank god for technology and being able to FaceTime everyone. X

1 Like