Returning to work

My husband suffered his stroke in October and came home from hospital in December. I have been working from home since December and his full time carer but i need to go back to work.
My husband agreed initially, to my return to the office 3 days per week and wfh for 2. I am in the process of finding carers to visit twice a day but now hubby does not want me to leave him. I have been going to work 1 day each month with friends sitting with him. My husband was left without the use of his right side and no speech. He has done so well with his physio and now can walk a little with a quad stick. I am hoping in the next 6 weeks, before i go back, that he will become more stable/confident.
I know he is anxious about it, but it has to happen. Any ideas on how to prepare him and re-assure him?

Thanks

Jan

2 Likes

Hi Jan
I imagine no speech would make him feel pretty vulnerable? What would he do in the event of a problem or a fall ?

Is your husband able to get back up from the floor if he fell ? It’s a good confidence boost if you can develop that skill.
Thanks
Nigel

2 Likes

Hiya

He has got a panic alarm on him and i have got cameras in the rooms he uses. He wouldn’t be able to get himself up if he fell. I only work 10 mins away and our neighbours will always pop in to see him too.
I understand he feels vulnerable but unfortunately we have to try and get our lives back, bit by bit.

Regards

Jan

2 Likes

Have you ever left him alone since his stroke? Maybe try leaving the house for a half hour or an hour daily and gradually up the length of time while he just gets used to being alone and regaining some independence again.

I know this is not the same thing, but when we had our first child I remember not wanting my husband to go back to work after paternity leave, for the similar reasons. I was just terrified to be left home alone as the only adult responsible for this new baby totally dependant on me for its life! But it had to be done so I just to bite the bullet and start getting on with it. It took a few days before I even dared to venture outside the house with him and it was only to take a walk down the street and back. It some weeks before I dared do anything like shopping with him.

So it’s just be a matter of “weaning” him off you so to speak. Deliberately leaving him home alone for periods of time, he has to bite the bullet some time to regain independence.

1 Like

@Stringyj confidence is a big thing post stroke & i found i had to build it back up gradually. I was terrified when my hubby started to leave me to go back to work. He’s a self employed builder so working from home isn’t an option.

Initially he made sure I had everything i needed within reach so I didn’t have to move & he would pop back at regular intervals to check I was ok. He gradually built the time he was away up & i got used to him being away & after a while i was no longer worried. Perhaps you could try something similar. He will be anxious at the start but that should ease in time.

1 Like