Recovery from Two serious Illnesses at same time

My wife Barbara went into hospital on the 11th November 2020.  

She was diagnosed with Guillain Barre syndrome and initially treated as such (Immunoglobulin) 

Four days later, I was called into the hospital at 2 in the morning-my wife had had a Haemorrhage bleed on the brain!

Worse was to follow, she was tested positive for Coronavirus!

Does anyone have experience of patients suffering both GB and a Stroke at the same time?

She is in a Rehab Unit now.

My main query is to do with her rehabilitation. Will the effects of Gillain Barre hinder the recovery from the Stroke-or Vice Versa ?

I wanted to reply to you as I'm sure you're very anxious for answers. I don't know what answer to give you but I'm sure you will get an answer soon as this is a very friendly and knowlegable group Best wishes

Hilary

Thanks Hilary!

My wife has such a rare combination of illnesses!

Best Wishes

Barry

Hello.  My situation is/was different, but this might be useful.  I had a haemorrhagic stroke in 2016, have ongoing vascular problems affecting balance and sensory stuff, and my husband died near the time I had the stroke.  I was fortunate enough to have counselling from a bereavement team and stroke rehab follow up with various therapists.  Often I didn't know what issue was causing what problem, ie fatigue, balance, memory.  But I decided to take whatever opportunities were offered and try them all!  Taking what help I could get.  A lot of therapy, physio, OT etc is often problem based so I think they will be guided by what they find.  Just make sure each is aware of the other conditions.  Wishing you all the best.

Thank you for your reply and good wishes.

I read that the recovery after a subarachnoid haemorrhage

takes longer.

My wife can, thank God, now speak, think and remember as well

as before her attack. Hower, she is paralyzed down her left side,

and has a peripheral vision problem mainly with the left eye.

The physiotherapists have previously treated Guillain Barre patients, and

obviously ordinary Stroke patients-but not someone with both!

Her Guillain Barre was not of the most serious kind. The main 

symptoms seem to be following classic haemorrhage, however we cannot know

to what extent she is also overcoming the effects of the Guillain Barre ?