Progress

I have a treadmill but haven’t used it since before stroke. I have it set up near my desk so that I can tune into Netflix, watch a film, and not notice the time so much.
Looking forward to the time I’m in a condition to use it again.

3 Likes

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Here is what I watch on my stationary bike: Wait for the trail

4 Likes

Me too. I look forward to meeting you after having read some of your posts, and one recommended by Simon.

4 Likes

Please share

Not only your degree of achievement
BUT Also

Your regime that others can be inspired by and adapt for there own circumstances.

4 Likes

The feelings of others are something that might well be what motivates them or what holds them back. You do not control how they feel about your writing.

Hard information about your experience can be very useful to anyone in the dark about a subject you cover. Denying access to what you have discovered is possible, but sharing what you have is liberating both for you and those you relate to.

If I find what you write about distressing I can just stop reading, maybe wait until I am better able to deal with it. By not speaking up you are stopping someone from discovering something that could be useful, even life changing.

There are many who have found ways to advance far ahead of my small achievements. I would be very interested in how they had got where they are. It would be awful if to spare my feelings they kept me in the dark.

All of this is just opinion, my opinion, but I say speak out, there is someone out there just waiting for the words you can share.

(There goes @SimonInEdinburgh reading my mind again.)

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smiley: :+1:

3 Likes

I remember that post:
https://forum.mystrokeguide.com/t/a-small-victory/34681

And I whole heartedly agree with @BobQ1, @SimonInEdinburgh and @Bobbi
And besides, it gives me another good excuse to celebrate someone else’s achievements, and you wouldn’t want to deprive me of that, now would you :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :crazy_face:

:partying_face: :partying_face: for all you have achieved in your stroke recovery :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :blush:

4 Likes

@Chlodog Good for you and so glad to hear about your stronger right hand… Akin to your lip balm activity,
I can now shave pretty well without tiny little cuts all over my face. My wife tried to get me to use an electric shaver…but like James Bond, I like a very close shave.
Keep informing us about your progress, love to hear it.
Derek

4 Likes

Hope you liked the video?

1 Like

@Chlodog i echo what everyone else has said. Please share your story if you want to. Everyone here, in my experience, would love to celebrate your successes with you. But we can also learn from you which may help us move forward.

Well done on all you have achieved.

2 Likes

Congratulations! This sounds very familiar to me, my walking was similar to yours at the same recovery stage/time however, I was unable to get rid of the stick. I’m now 16 months post stroke and can walk 4k without too much fatigue. I’ve changed my stick to a walking pole which has improved my gait enormously, I’ve also invested in a Walkaide ll which immediately improved my distances and gait - can’t recommend it enough. I try to walk every day weather and Autumn wet leaves permitting adding a few more yards each time. I do walk without any aids but only where I feel safe from falling.

Still struggling with my arm and hand but every week I see a slight improvement, I do about an hour of shoulder/arm - rehab/stretching everyday and thoroughly recommend using an arm air splint to improve shoulder strength. Once again, an aid that works for me.

I am 74 and truly believe my improvement will continue, good luck to you, keep at it and congratulations once again.

AJ

2 Likes

Well done you one day @ a time.
I suggest you also try swimming assuming that you are able to swim, even if you can’t walking up & down the pool is a great aid to recovery & much softer if you fall over. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

That’s fantastic progress @BobQ1 ! Keep up the good work and keep celebrating those achievements :+1: Being able to see how far you’ve come on the bad days keeps the motivation.

2 Likes

Hi @AJS2023 & welcome to the forum. It sounds like you’re doing great with your walking & good to hear that your arm & hand are improving slowly too.

Sounds like you have a really positive attitude which helps loads.

Best wishes

Ann

1 Like

Well done @BobQ1 and please revell in your achievement and success. It does wonders for your self esteem. As mentioned here previously, I was a runner every day until struck down by a stroke at 67, which ‘took out’ my left hand side, so had to learn to walk again. As with you, I gradually let go of all aids and walked unaided eventually, Up until today, the furthest I had walked was 2.4k - then needed to lie down! As it was such a nice day and early in the morning (when I am most ‘with it’), I just walked until I got tired. And went 4K! Furthest I have ever been since my stroke 2 years ago. And at a fast walk pace. My goal of going back to the weekly 5k park run (used to run them every week) but at a walking pace, now seems reachable! Next summer perhaps.

3 Likes

@Retrokeyplayer well done on your 4k walk. That’s fantastic & definitely puts your 5k park run (walk) firmly in sight. Go you :partying_face:

1 Like

Well done @BobQ1, keep going my friend :clap::clap:
Fantastic progress👍🏻

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @AJS2023 and it sounds like @Retrokeyplayer also needs a mention in order to celebrate the progress you are both achieving.
:partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: So pleased for both of you :clap: :clap: :clap: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :grin:

1 Like

@BobQ1 well done! So good to hear of progress! Thanks :blush:
personally I don’t care less about a limp as long as I am able to get out for a walk x

3 Likes

Thanks, @Mrs5K. I’ll see what I can do over tjese winter months and then work out which Park Run to aim for. I’m really quite chuffed! I thought it would take years to get to this point. All the best.

3 Likes

Hi there bob well done you!! A super achievement ! I can still remember my first walks down the road . At first it was just to top of my cup de sac, then to top of street and after 11 months a good walk round the local estate. So don’t worry you will continue to make strides forwards. Like you I’m not the fastest and I still feel wobbly at times but it’s essential we keep trying!! Sending virtual hugs your way .suzywong x

3 Likes