Plod and slog

Hi all 

I haven't posted anything for a long time, needed a bit of a break but as I am slowly getting back into my regular walking routine I thought I would share a few experiences and if you can bear with me frustrations. As those who have read my previous posts will know I am a little over 4 years post stroke. The stroke affected me seriously physically, though cognitively not so badly. I have continuing left sided weakness and still no function in my left hand. Though on apositive  note the stiffness is reducing without further treatment. I was having botox injections for the spasticity, but of course my early summer appointment was cancelled due to Covid-19, but fortunately I have found that things are beginning to improve with regard to spasticity so theres hope! However one real downside of the lockdown was it disrupted my regular walking practise routine and unfortunately 6 lost a bit of strength in my left leg, so returning to exercise has been arduous to say the least and a little demoralising as I can't do even what i had managed to build up since the stroke.. So  I have to start all over again. But I know what I had achieved and know that it can be done again. I never got a smooth walking  gait back and couldn't get far but could manage something independently. I now have to work back up to even that minimal achievement. So deep breath and  reload. Been out a few times now and it is the equivalent of the runs i used to do regularly. I am no athlete I hasten to add bug usex to love walking and could do a couple of miles gentle running without too much difficulty.  But now have to learn to walk again before I can run. Not only confinement because of Covid but the periodic fatigue also slowed me down. I cthink times like these need a mental re set, which is quite hard after so long. The motivation to get well is pretty strong in the early days but I think becomes quite a challenge ths further on you get. Nevertheless I do know, not least from friends on this forum that significant progress can be made even some years post stroke. So while I can't claim to be enthusiastically getting back down to the tediouds work. I remain quietly determined to keep going, and at least get my leg stronger, I remain hopeful that I will get some action in my left hand too, it has been the biggest frustration.

So thanks for reading if you got this far. Wld love to hear from other long term survivors, and I hope that if you are a newbie that my story of plod and slog doesn't bring dismay.  Keep going, And I promise to as well

Best wishes to you all 

TONY 

Well done Tony. I am also four years post stroke and had the misfortune to have a mild second stroke in May at the height of the pandemic (a tiny clot this time). The second stroke only affected my weak arm from elbow to fingers, but hit my confidence harder, especially walking. However, I was fitted with an ankle brace and am back on my daily walks again.

I was attending three exercise classes a week, but they all stopped when lockdown started. I have found Joe Wicks' exercise classes for seniors quite good and do these every morning. We have to stick at it.

Hi Jj

I héard about the second stroke probably just before I  took a break from checking in. Every survivor's worst fear, I am glad it didn't cause a lot of damage but must have been scary, building confidence back will no doubt take time,   heres wishing you well in your second recovery.

All best wishes 

TONY 

Hello Tony,

It's always good to hear from you. These have been interesting times with being kept indoors. I've been lucky to have free weights (bars, dumbells and weight plates) and have worked out at home. Even a pair of small-ish dumbells can be a good start - press one into your stroke affected hand and will your arm to curl it up. This really helped me at first, I built elbow, wrist and shoulder movement before I could get my fingers working. Once your brain understands there's an arm there, it all starts to fall into place. If you can persuade your hand to just hold the dumbell then you can hold two in both hands and do up-and-down leg exercises, which will make your legs stronger and help your balance.

Just some quick ideas but remember that being a stroke survivor during a pandemic means not catching the virus and coming out of this all alive is a big positive.

Take care,

Damian

Great, thanks for the encouragement Damien, been focused mainly on gettingwalking improved but have taken a few steps backwards so it feels, but the answer I find is simply to start again.  It is a little mental reset,I keep trying to do. But will try the weights trick as left arm is distressingly weak. I have a little grip in the left hand no extension yet so theres a minimal connection to work with. Something anyway, better than nothing. Finding doing a simple sit to stand movement does wonders for balance and core strength, and it's something you do all the time anyway. These days just standing for a while is exercise enough sometimes. Again good balance and core strength work without trying too much. The key challenge is mental and attitude asci know you have, experienced.  I can do the mental re set. And really want to recover better walking, used to be a big thing for me and i miss it.

Keeping on keeping on

Best wishes 

TONY