New

Cheers and good wishes. 

Hello. I collapsed in our office 12 weeks ago. Often I work there alone, so was lucky to have a colleague there. I stated I had a splitting headache, the next time I was aware of anything was a month later. I had suffered a subarachnoid haemorrhage/ ruptured aneurysm. Physio has been hard work but I am determined to be able to drive again (my greatest loss is the freedom that driving gives me). Information about my condition has been not forthcoming from the hospital - I feel I have had to do the research myself. I am hoping this site will support me and that we can share experiences.

Morning, sorry to hear about your stroke, yes Iv had to do a lot of chasing up with the hospital, had mine in March and my follow up appointment with the docktor isn’t until 10th August.

Get what you mean with driving, I’m unable to drive yet and it’s annoying relying on people all the time. You will get great support on here it’s been a great help for me.

Welcome to our forum. When you were discharged from hospital they should have given you a summary of what your stroke was caused by and your progress until discharge. However, due to Covid, a lot of systems and support packages have gone by the board.

You will find recovery not always as straight forward as you think it might be. I am five years on and classify myself as partly disabled, although I can do a fair bit for myself. I regard ongoing exercise as vital, even if it is a bit frustrating.

Hello Crazi Catapila, welcome to the forums where we do our best to support each other through every stage recovery. Feel free to celebrate milestones, have a moan, or ask for advice. 

Rups

Greetings, sounds pretty scary losing a month, your determination leaps out from your post. Long may it continue.   

Welcome you will find this site helpful all the best des

Hi serin I know how you feel I had my second tia in February and loss use of arm for a few days it was a complete shock  and found it difficult to cope was angry lost confidence but we hard work gain use of arm blow me on July 5th had a small tia my face  went numb back to square one this time am going at a slower pace  unable to drive for a month which is a pbut this site  helps with tips and good support thinking of you

Glad you joined the group it helps a lot all the best

Thank you Serin. I am happy to say each day brings improvement.

When I was discharged I found out afterwards about various pieces of information I should have been given.....but wasn't. I was moved from an initial hospital to another where I was operated on, after three weeks there was repatriated to my local hospital. My husband was the one who told me what  caused the stroke as I was under sedation until repatriated.

You are spot on about the exercise. I have just been discharged to attend outpatients for physio as my weekly session with the community team has reached its conclusion. I know I have been making amazing progress, but am keenly aware from my research that the first 6 months are critical. I am already setting new goals and targets to ensure my exercise/physio keeps me active - even if bits make me frustrated (as they often do!)

It's early days. I was exactly the same. Hang in there. And a big hello!

I queried my medication. Finallly got a telephone call from the hospital today. I had been prescribed a blood thinner as I developed dvt in one of my legs whilst in hospital. The doc says what I had is termed 'a provoked incident' (provoked by my stroke) and as such the blood thinner can be stopped after 3 months. Milestone to be reached by the end of the month! Don't you think small things mean more after a stroke.

Certainly, all small things for me are greater by comparison than what I had previously thought important before the stroke. Well wishes for your milestone. You write that dvt was a provoked incident as a result of your stroke. Do you know why this was? Hope you are enjoying the breeze we're having, mine is scented with cowpat, I actually don't mind the odour. 

Know how you feel  it feels that you've got to do your own research there is support out there but I think it's a post code lottery covid hasn't help but you get great tips help and encouragement on this site recovery is slow but take 1 step at a time and remain positive all the best gillian

The consultant called it this. The DVTs were in my legs, I was unconscious/under sedation for 3 weeks. Despite having flowtron things on my legs to prevent the DVTs, two weeks after I was moved out of ICU I devloped a clot in my left leg and a smaller one in my right leg. Hence provoked by the rutured aneurysm/sub-arachnoid haemorrhage that I had.

Three weeks? That's intense. I see now how the use of the word provoked is being used. Well, look forward to your milestone, you deserve it. smiley

Thanks for message much appreciated. Sending good wishes. 

Thank you for the great welcome. Not had the best of weeks. My determination can be a pain at times as I get impatient. Not driving has shown itself as making what was a 25 min drive to the hospital into an hour's bus journey on two buses with my husband. Despite having a stick to walk with, I was exhausted by what essentially was a 3 hour afternoon (2 hours travelling) one hour physio. Made me feel a bit low this week. Early days.....

Hi, hope your recovery is going well. I suffered a subarachnoid hemorrhage/burst anurysm in April 2019 and have no memory of the day or the following 5 weeks. I've now got my driving licence back and a new job. I found that my GP wasn't that helpful and they don't seem to know an awful lot about how to help. Good luck x