New

Hello Norma, I'm having the same thing done, but MRI of head and neck. Have issues of tight head and wooziness. It's quite mind-boggling how a bit of brain injury sets the whole bodily system out of whack.

Welcome had my about five weeks ago. This site help a lot you know you are not alone ? hope u recovery goes well des x

Thankyou xxx

Is it like that all day mine is likeit all the time when i am on my feet not so bad when sitting and goes away when I am lying down. I dont feel normal like everybody else. Thanks for replying All the best Norma.

Hello Norma, Yes, mine is fairly persistent all day. I have periods of relief, but it gets worse when I am fatigued. It's very uncomfortable, and has slowed my recovery progress down immensely.

Morning, I was like that to start amd it slowly came back. Still struggle to read and understand some things and have to think a lot more when spelling but yours will come back, you just need to keep doing it so your brain doesn’t forget 

I do have cold hands occasionally. Sorry you have got something similar to me.Does yours affect you your every waking moment mine does the only time I feel normal is when sitting or in bed. It really does get m down. Best wishes. Norma

Hi Jane do you have anxiety I have got to go and have an ultrasound n my neck this afternoon and I feel worse my head is very dizzy I know its anxiety but how to deal with it I dont know. All the best Norma.

Same here, except the prism glasses werent particularly helpful, but its possible they could help. 

Im 5 years on and still blury vision and the dizziness. Walking and balancing is difficult as Im constantly looking down at my feet. 

Think youre doing well to get onto this site after 2 weeks. Mine happened just before the last Euro tournament, so 5 years now and I couldnt even watch tv, or look at a tablet/phone for the 1st 4 weeks after stroke and even then it was very confusing and difficult as I couldnt remember my passwords. 

2 weeks is not a long time in stroke recovery, so you are doing extremely well so far, even though you dont think so and youre starting from a positive baseline. 

There IS improvement ahead for you, just dont expect it to happen overnight, it takes a long long time. 

Hi I found the prism was really helpful,I've now stopped using it and just wear my glasses for driving and reading ,sometimes when I'm tired i get a bit off balance ....how are you feeling now ,what has your journey been ...pippy 

Hi. It was the same with me. I had my stroke in February and still finding things hard

Hi Maurice I had my stroke in April ,still off work at the moment ,but hope to return in September,fingers crossed ..pippy

Hi. I never used glasses before or since, but Im aware that my eyesight isnt correct, but its 80% and thats enough for me. Im back driving, but needed an assesment from a disability driving school. I think I was expecting too much from the prisms and wanted perfection, but as a stroke survivor we have to temper our expectations a little. 

Its been a 5+ year journey of ups and downs. I did get back to working part time from home for about 3 years, but eventually had to submit and took medical retirement, as I was never particularly good with IT. 

I feel I have come a long way, I am 100% independent, but its not the 'old/proper me'. 

How about you, are you back to near the 'old you' ?

I have learnt to be a more thoughtful and compassionate person, so I consider that as an improvement to the 'old me'. I still think there is more improvement to come, even after 5 years, it never stops completely. 

I got back to driving lastweek ,not completely confident but it's coming ,I'm also having phycology,for my anxiety ,which is helping ,I'm setting myself a goal to go back in September just hope I can carry on ,my job is very fast paced I work on a busy cardiac ward at my local hospital ...I'm 100%independent but my anxiety was shocking at first but it's getting better lacking self confidence a bit but hoping in time that will come back ....I'm definitely not the person I used to be ,I'm more mellow now but getting to understand and love the new me is a bit difficult,sometimes I greive the old me ,and have so many questions to get answered from the stroke department ,I sometimes ask myself why me ,...pippy 

The 'why me' will never be answered, so no point asking yourself again. 

The confidence driving will come back slowly but surely, the more you do it. I used to actually enjoy driving, but not now, but we are lucky that we can still do it. 

You WILL get back to work, but I dont think you should set a target date, it took me 18 months. Working in your local hospital (NHS ?), you will have back to work interviews and they should make reasonable allowances to accomodate you. 

I had psychology too for about 12 months after and it helped with my anxiety, I even struggled to answer the phone as I couldnt process information quick enough to respond in what I felt was a reasonable way, so preferred email communication as much as possible initially. This is another symptom that has improved over time and have no problem with now.

It sounds like you are a strong character and extremely focussed on your recovery. 

You will continue to improve and recover, but it really is a long journey ahead. Best wishes for the best recovery.

Thankyou so much ,yes it's the NHS ,I understand the more I do things the better I will be and confidence will return but it's getting the confidence to do it in the first place ....I've just had a brisk half hour walk around the block and cricket pitch was nice but better when's there's someone walking with you ,my mind tends to do over time,but i made myself do it ,..sounds like you have come a long way on your journey,well done to you ...I'm still waiting for my 6week check up with the hospital ,I understand they are struggling with the back log ....I've left messages with my stroke co ordinator hopefully she will return my calls ...the thing I struggle with well one of the things is that I feel labelled since the stroke and I know I'm not but try telling my mind that....I get anxious around lots of people and find listening and retaining conversations a bit challenging ...hopefully things will get easier I try to stay positive as much as I can ..pippy 

Yes, we are all labelled. But the thing is, that people cannot see brain damage. So the label that they attach to you is likely to be the wrong label. I have left side weakness, so people can see my physical disability, but not the cognitive or mental problems. If you do not have some physical weakness that shows, no one can comprehend the tiredness, confusion and turmoil going on inside our heads. 

I think we all, on here, understand your comment about listening and retaining information when conversing with others. Information overload, even with a short exchange. 

But, at least you are aware and that things definately will improve, but maybe not as quickly as you hope for. 

I'm quite strong willed and discipline myself if I didn't I wouldn't be at the stage I'm at now ,it's not been easy I've had lots of tears and anxiety ,anger I think every emotion possible ,but I'm hoping I will return to work September if not on the ward I will do something so fingers crossed ..pippy 

Hi Pippy. I feel the best way to handle people who I find difficult to understand or retain what they are saying is to be brutally honest.  I usually say something like "I m sorry but I've had 2 strokes and find it difficult to take in what people say immediately.  Would you mind just repeating what you've just said but a little slower so I can take it in". And then when they do and I've grasped it, I thank them and also apologise for being a pain!  I know I shouldn't because it's a hidden disability with strokes but it makes the other person feel that they've been helpful so it works! 

I am also half deaf and wear hearing aids. I rely a lot on lip reading so mask wearing is a nightmare.  If I explain to people that I am deaf and lip read and would they mind just dropping their mask a few seconds whilst I can look at their mouth, they see straightaway that I aren't being difficult because once they do drop their mask, I can tell immediately what they are saying!  Roll on when mask wearing will disappear into the history books!

Write a list of all the things you feel and this will help you to refer to when you do get your 6 week check up.