New member saying hi!

I am learning a free language on Duolingo it keeps my brain going also watch the chase which I convince myself I can’t be that bad when I am shouting at the screen saying come on I guessed that one and got it right what’s wrong with you all :joy:

2 Likes

You can do Sudoku on the phone? I didn’t know. I enjoy number puzzles and Cryptoquip (breaking codes), etc… I rarely have time because I am so slow getting what I need to do finished first, but once in awhile I sit down with a puzzle book.

You have made me feel more comfortable with the slowness because you mentioned twice finishing today what you started yesterday. That happens with me most of the time.

You also mentioned quite a bit of progression. I like that!!! I forgot about the cupboards but with kids around, mine need done. That was actually one of the shoulder and arm exercises they gave me in PT after a nasty fall. It was to learn to stretch the arm and move it side to side. No wonder their cabinets were so clean!

2 Likes

Well I have hit the 13 weeks since having the stroke, I’ve handled it up til now, but the last 3 days I just seem to have little emotional break downs. I’m sure this is part of the journey but feeling a little sad right now :cry::cry:

4 Likes

Afternoon Flossy, yes not unusual but it’s a phase we’ve all been through and week by week it gets better. You are the New Kid on block so keep posting for support any time you need ito.I was a tough fit old guy when stroked and I crumbled a bit ,got emotional, embarrassing at times early on. So stay strong . This is the best place to gripe, moan and vent because we’ve all been there and passed through

3 Likes

Up and down is part of the package - one of the reasons to note the minor victories that add up and can then be recalled to be focused on when you’ve a need for something positive as a fillip
Stay strong :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for responding. I have done the journey alone as the friends seem to be good at telling me what they know, and obviously afraid of being around me. But what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger! I’m thankful this wasn’t my time to leave planet earth

3 Likes

Thank you for your wise words. I want to start video diaries (something I never thought I’d say!) Maybe that will help though. :blush:

3 Likes

@flossy71 what you are feeling is very normal. I’m 18 months on & still have my emotional moments. Thankfully though they aren’t as often as in the first 6 months. I found it best just to let the tears flow.

Hope you feel brighter soon xx

3 Likes

I would love to see your video diaries. Try it. I think you will find it helpful to look back and see your progress, especially on down days when you forget how far you have come.

Emotional… I still am. I notice the crying more than the irritability, but have had both. Fortunately not very often anymore, although I did visit a friend from noon to midnight on Saturday. It was a bit too much for me, and I needed helping walking from the house to the car after all the conversation, swimming and then all the inhabitants of her house arriving home. Too much noise and movement after a very long day. I cried of embarrassment needing to have help. Why is it so hard to let others help us? Then I was embarrassed for knowing my best friend thought she had caused me upset. Ugh!

Please don’t be too angry with your friends. They are doing the best they know how…I said if I hear one more person tell me I just have to write something down or set an alarm to remember it, I would smack them. I haven’t but I want to. They tell me things that might be obvious, but are for people with abilities I don’t or haven’t in the past gotten back to. They try to understand but really don’t. Try to communicate with them about something else. I keep up with mine to ask what they have been doing and they finally started telling me. I know already from Facebook posts, and have had a feeling of being left behind, but I try to remember I am very happy for them that they are getting out, enjoying themselves. I will get back to it as well, and take them up on rides to and from when offered. I didn’t at first so many gave up asking. I just didn’t want to inconvenience them, but they thought I didn’t want to get out. So again, please don’t let a misunderstanding ruin friendships. We all need others, they do as well.

5 Likes

Hi @flossy71, that’s totally normal for us brain damaged Strokees. I was exactly the same at a SIM lar time. Then I had a huge outpouring of emotion that was completely over the top for the situation and went on for hours and freaked bothe me and my family out. Once I calmed down I felt so much better. With hindsight I think it was me accepting what had happened to me and perhaps saying goodbye to the old me.

From there on I became more focused on getting myself as good as I could. As others have said (& you realised) it is all a normal part of the journey.

I’m sure you’ll be feeling much better soon.

All the best.
Mark.

2 Likes

Go with it Flossy, don’t hold it back, your brain obviously needs that release and there’s nothing wrong with that! It will pass soon enough and you will feel better for it.

Don’t give up on your friends, they mean well, but I think its down to you to steer and divert conversation away from yourself and on to them instead. You need those distractions, the breaks away from all things stroke related. They can do that for you if you let them, You’re driving them away when they can help you enter into that new version of you. So call them back to you, live vicariously through them 'til you are back to health.
Having been both the patient and the visitor a few times now, I’ve noticed that the visitors take their cue from you the patient. They will never quite drop the subject of your health, you have to almost give your blessing, that it’s ok to do so. So, let them off that hook and on with other things :wink:

1 Like

Flossy I think this journey is like being on a roller coaster and it’s trying to get off :joy: I sometimes don’t post because I think I am a misery on my down days then other days I feel I am getting there it’s not easy but this group is so supportive and that helps

5 Likes

Thanks for the help. I am going through a stage now where I can’t sleep. I get such fatigue but I can not drift off no matter what I try. So I can never feel caught up or refreshed any advise?

1 Like

Hi Flossie
Have you tried any of the sleep apps that are downloadable.
Do you also know the guidance about avoiding screen time before you settle down like not using the bedroom for watching TV and all the other advice about establishing routine and using that routine every time you wake up too.
there is a lot of it out there but maybe you’re already aware of it?

I had it from about 4 months after my stroke until about a year then it started getting bettr now I wake up predictably around 1:00 3:00 5:00 7:00 but only for a few minutes or less

1 Like

Some people swear by lavender to help them sleep. A bedtime routine is important. Try a relaxing bath if you’re able. If you’re really struggling ask your GP for some help.

I generally sleep well since my stroke but if I have had a busier day then I find I can’t sleep. It’s almost like I can’t switch off no matter what I try. So guess I’m saying try not to overdo things in the day.

2 Likes

I am more like you. The more I accomplish, the less I can actually shut down to sleep. I want to do even more, but my eyes and body say no, but just won’t shut off. I find I do better not to push, but to go ahead and nap during the day when I get tired. It’s a sort of schedule, if not the best one for bank hours (err…appointments, making calls, pharmacy etc no longer 24/7 availability as they were before Covid shutdowns. This night owl misses that, but no one I know stays up late anyway, so I wouldn’t be able to get a ride.

2 Likes