New(ish) survivor

I think if I remember rightly I got my badge and a lanyard from etsy,it is on the Internet,I am atechnophobe but I managed to figure it out so you should be ok,also I always use PayPal for a bit more safety.i hope you are ok and I will let you into a secret…I only iron the front of clothes but I do have long hair so no one sees the back!:smiley:

What is wordle?please I haven’t heard of this I love crosswords though and music helps.x

Hi Bernadette @BernadetteC , Wordle is a fantastic little game that a computer programmer created for his girlfriend during lock down as she loves word games.

My wife got me into it a couple of weeks ago and I’m hooked. One of the things people like is that there is only one new word to guess each day. It is like the gameshow on ITV called Lingo. You basically have 6 tries to guess the 5 letter word. You start with a blank grid and type any word that you like (always good to try and use a few vowels in your start word). If you get any letters correct and in the right place they will turn green and if correct letter in the wrong place they turn yellow. You then have 5 more rows to try and get the rest of the word. Y
our keyboard below will show any green or yellow letters used.

This is a link to the website and it is a free to play game (at the moment).

I play it on my phone but it works on tablet or laptop as well.
Give it a go and if you need any more advice let me know.

Mark

1 Like

Clever trick if you have hair!

Thanks, trackies also good. David.

Thankyou for that I will give it a try hope you are :+1: ok stay safe.x

Oops!hope I didn’t offend you,I could always send you some of mine I think I am moulting for spring it gets everywhere,yes trackies are a good idea and in summertime shorts hardly need an iron😁
Stay safe.x

Hi Minnie B, thanks so much taking the time to reply. Sorry to hear you didn’t get on with the FES, it is an odd sensation and can I see not everyone will like but in my case the positive outweighed the discomfort. I’m lucky in that my mind seems to remember the stimulation for a while after I take it off and my drop foot improves although I still regularly catch my toes and take a slight stumble.

AquaFit has been my lifeline both for mobility and mental health. My group is specially for people with limited mobility so no embarrassment just lots of laughs.

Like so many others here my family have been brilliant and I’m very fortunate to be so well supported.

Thank you to all on this group and keep doing what you’re doing……we’ll get there if a bit slower than we want :heart:

1 Like

Hi Ingo66, maybe have a look at FES too. I didn’t like it on my arm but as I’ve said it’s been brilliant for my leg. I understand they’re hoping to make improvements to make more usable on the arm so will definitely try again if that happens.

1 Like

Thanks @DorisRose , anything that could help with getting sensation back in my hand would be worth trying. However I have had heart surgery in the past so it might not be suitable for me :frowning:. I think I may possibly still be getting the tiniest bit of improvement but it is very subtle. Perhaps over months or years I will look back and realise the improvement. Important thing is not to avoid using it (although I don’t trust myself to use that hand for breakable things).

Hi Ingo66. I agree we have to remind ourselves to keep trying to use our hand and continue to teach it. I’ve noticed subtle changes with mine and try to incorporate it into daily tasks where it’s safe to do so. Take care

1 Like

Where do you get the foot lifter from I’ve got drop foot how does the foot lifter work this is where this site is brill tips and advice from all angles

Hi @Gillian_21 , I had it when I was in rehab but found it very difficult to use with laces on my trainers because I can’t feel my left hand.
It did help a little bit.

There is something very similar on Amazon called Boxia foot lifter.

Might be worth talking to your GP though.

Hi Gillian_21.
I was using a plastic orthotic splint, that went up the back of my leg, but I was finding it very uncomfortable and I also use a device called a FE S that lifts your foot into the right position. I was referred for my Foot Lifter from the rehab hospital I attend about every few months for BOTOX injections in my leg. They referred me to a place that supplies all different kind of aids. You are best speaking to a doctor or a physio about the foot lifter. Mine works brilliantly, but you have to wear lace up shoes or trainers, which I do anyway. If you need to know anything else, please contact me. :bouquet:

Hi Yes I too am a worldlier. My husband and I play every day. We have limited success. Yesterday we were stumped by the world “pause” but today guessed correctly in four. W really enjoy it. Best wishes Lilian

Hi Lillian @l_platt , Good to hear. It is fun & a light hearted challenge in our family.
I just recently found out about 2 other similar games based on the same 1 puzzle per day concept which are also good. The 1st is Nerdle which is maths version (I like maths). The other is a country guessing game called Globle (I am not so good at geography so my wife helps me).
I’m sure you can find them yourself but I’ve included the links below:

https://globle-game.com/

I hope you enjoy!
Mark

1 Like

Dear Mark Thank you for your reply. I have tried needle but sadly I can’t understand it. It seems rather complicated to my simple mind!!! Lilian

Hi,my name is Patricia,but al my friends call me Tricia I have been reading the forum and Ijust had to laugh about the high heels. Being a shoe fanatic like you Vinylchick. I love my high heels and I’m going to a wedding in July.so any advice would be appropriated as since my stroke my left side doesn’t work well .
Take care ,
Tricia

Hi

I have managed to walk 1 km in my chunky 4” heeled boots, which were my go to daily work boots outwith summer.

I tried just walking around house, then built up walking same as I did with flat shoes. Walked round garden, then to top of street, then post box in next street. I kept distances little as very conscious that I had to make it back home again!

I still have to brave trying to build up the stilettos :high_heel:

Let me know how you get on :grin:

Hi, sorry I just thought that I’d introduce myself. My name Tricia. I had a stroke last July. I didn’t see the signs. But if I’m honest, I really chose to ignore them. I was too busy with work. I worked as a English supply teacher. It was hard but I loved my job. It was difficult for all during the pandemic especially the pupils.
I don’t smoke, I do like a glass of wine but don’t drink much . I looked after myself, such as eat the right foods watch my weight. Exercise. I am still trying to work out why?
It was on the Friday night, I went to bed as normal. Olly my cat was allowed to sleep upstairs as he had lost his sister 6 months before. The only problem was he waked me up two or three times a night for tuna so I would go down to feed him. I went back to bed .no symptoms then I woke up on the floor but this was normal for me as I didn’t want to disturb Olly. Only thing was that I couldn’t move. I tried to explain to my husband as he was getting ready for work but he didn’t understand what I was saying. My husband rang my daughter. She rang the ambulance and explained that I had had a stroke. I was rushed to Salford hospital they where brilliant. I am very lucky so to speak as it turns out I have arregular heart beat. They call it AF . They also did an MRI and found that I had two blood clots which they managed to drain. It wasn’t as successful as they hoped. I think some of the blood leaked . I don’t know. But I am grateful to be here telling my story. I class myself as lucky . You may think that is the wrong word to describe my position. But I am. I have a wonderful, supportive husband daughter and son in law , fantastic family and friends and a stubborn personality . Okay the stroke has left my right side weak as I can’t use my left hand. But reading the forum I know that it’s going to get easier especially with all your support.

2 Likes