New(ish) survivor

Hello all, I thought I had better introduce myself after having spent a few months browsing the site. It is a great source of information and everyone seems very supportive and friendly.
My name is Mark and I’m 55.

Last June one evening whilst watching TV I came round on the floor having slipped off the sofa and tried to get back up. I was somewhat confused as to why I was struggling to perform such an easy task but couldn’t put my finger on what was wrong!
Sometime later my wife came in with a cup of tea and saw me on the floor. I raised my arm up and asked her to give me a pull (but in reality I mumbled something unintelligible!). I think she laughed because she thought I was mucking about (it was boiling hot and I was just in shorts so she thought I was trying to cool off).
Then she looked a little closer and noticed my lopsided face (it was not normally like that!) and panicked. She called down to my son who rushed up and they both thought I’d had a stroke so he rushed off to call an ambulance.

Long story short, I was rushed to hospital and given a CT scan and clot buster drug (as between us we knew it must have happened less than an hour before she found me).

It turns out I had a right MCA infarction with right ICA occlusion. I could not move my left side (typical that I’m left handed).

Fast forward seven and a half months and I’m making really good progress after six weeks in hospital and rehab. I am managing to work 3 afternoons a week from home and starting to come to terms with the new version of me.
I still have no feeling in my left foot and little in my hand and part of my mouth. Fatigue is also having a big impact but I can walk (slowly) and do quite a bit.

From what I’ve experienced so far I have found that acceptance is an important part of the road to recovery. You can often find different (& sometimes unusual) ways of doing things to achieve the desired result.

Really sorry for banging on for so long but thanks to anyone who stuck it out :grinning:.

I look forward to being involved with the community and will be happy to receive and pass on any advice/experiences.
All the best and stay positive. Mark

9 Likes

Thanks Lorraine, yes I was very lucky it wasn’t long before I was found. I like your attitude we can’t let it beat us!
I’m still trying to get used to posting so hopefully this reply comes through.

1 Like

Thanks Jane, I agree that fatigue is one of the hardest things to deal with. It makes it difficult to plan things as I find it somewhat unpredictable. I initially overdid my return to work and was doing 5 hours per day everyday. My brain was loving the feeling that I was still capable but my body really struggled and I got so exhausted I didn’t have the energy to do my rehab exercises. Luckily my work arranged an independentoccupational health assessment who advised me to cut back and slowly buold up.
I guess I need to be more selfish and listen to my body.

1 Like

Thanks Alan, I agree. I’m sure most of us would like to go back to version one but this life changing experience is something we all have in common.
Accepting it and trying to make the most of it by staying positive seems to be the best way forward. It is great to have this forum to know you’re not alone.

Hi Mark @Ingo66 (and fellow Wordler). My stroke was two days after I ignored what I now know to be a TIA. Amongst the things I’ve learned from the whole experience, I’ve learned to take note of what my body is telling me. If I need to rest that’s exactly what I do.

2 Likes

Hello @Ingo66 (Mark), welcome to the community of survivors and carers. Stroke is such a bookmark in one’s life, and for most of us, totally unexpected. I had a cerebellar stroke (bilateral and multifocal), September 2020. It has taken a year for me to find my footing with it all. I’ve felt like I’ve been tumbling down a figurative hill for the past year, and still am rolling. Acceptance is certainly part of the way forward, it’s a life changing event, and brings home a lot about our mortality and fragility. I hope you find the forum supportive and informative.

1 Like

Hello @JSCAPM & @Rups, thanks for your kind words. It’s really nice to have so many responses and I’m sure I’ll get involved with other chats

1 Like

Welcome Mark. I am six years post stroke and it also affected by left side. I also had some ‘dead’areas on the left side of my face, but they went in the first year. My left hand still lacks sensitivity. It can hold light things, but I utilise it as much as possible. I left hospital on a frame and graduated to a stick. I use the stick outside but not in the house. My ability to walk was much helped by an FES machine on my left leg, but not every health authority funds these.

Acceptance is important but not resignation. I take each new day as an opportunity to try for more improvement. I still get fatigue,bworse if I try to do too much in a day. I am in my 70s so, hopefully, your younger body will help you to improve faster. I wish you all the best.

2 Likes

Thank you John, that’s interesting to hear from someone with similar symptoms. No one has mentioned about FES but I might investigate a bit more.
I seem to be managing to walk fairly well now without a stick but it takes a bit of getting used to not feeling your foot and I have good days and bad.

The lack of sensation in my hand is more of a hindrance because even though I have good movement and grip, my brain forgets I am holding things when I’m distracted. Touch is a sensation you completely take for granted until you lose it!

The brain is an amazing computer that does so many calculations based on all the different inputs from your body.

you have said the most important piece of advice for all the stroke survivors “ACCEPTANCE”

i think so this is the reason going to be my third year i still cry of losing my old self. but i am grateful to many things is just fatigue and tiredness every day new kind of pain and not finding any motivation to do some walk … i beat myself and call myself failure and lazy after stroke i found out i have a thyroid made me more depressed more annoyed with myself.

Acceptance and kindness towards our own selves is the key.

i must sat to all be bold be kind and love yourself and accept it whatever and however we are but do not give up.

GOD BLESS YOU AND ALL

3 Likes

Thank you @nadya, you are right that acceptance is something we all need to do. It was not our fault we had a stroke just as it is not your fault you now have a thyroid condition.

Life deals us a difficult hand sometimes but, hey, we are still alive so we should be thankful and make the most of what we have.

Try to stay positive, I’m sure there are many people on here that will support you :grinning:.

2 Likes

Hi

Like you, fairly new to being a stroke survivor! I was 50 when I had my haemorrhagic stroke, paralysis of left side, in August 2021.

It’s tough going but you sound positive…good luck. Some really good advice / help on here.

Take care
Debbie

3 Likes

Thanks Debbie @Vinylchick, everyone on here has really kind and supportive.

Good luck with your recovery.

Hi, It is very hard to go from a active person to someone who needs help walking.
I had my stroke 2 months ago no sign just tried to get up from the breakfast table and leg and arm would not move. Went to hospital and had scans and found the clot. On blood thinners which hopefully will work.
My blood pressure was over 200.
I walk unaided in the house and have a roller for outside.
I suffer from fatigue and I am learning to listen to my body.
Have physio next week so hope that gives me advice to what I can and cannot do.
Good luck take care. xxx

Hi @Butcherd01 (I guess that’s how you feel). It is really difficult to come to terms with such a life changing event but you are very early in your recovery so I’m sure you’ll make good progress.

The fatigue caught up with me quite badly today after a busy week. I’m still getting used to reading the signs before it hits (but not doing a great job).

I wish you all the best with your recovery.

Thank you. It is a strange thing fatigue hits you without much warning. x

Hi Mark you seem to be really positive about your new self which has to be congratulated. It took me a little bit longer to be so accepting having a stroke at 48 following heart surgery. Fast forward 3 years and having a cracking husband for support giving up work as the fatigue wiped me out even on reduced hours but joining a gym at my local spa hotel which works in conjunction with the stroke association giving 50% reduced memberships accepting I needed assistance riding a push bike so traded my road bike just this year after seeing the dust build up on it and accepting I probably I aren’t going to enjoy riding it again and got an electric one so I can rejoin hubby on bike rides which is absolutely brilliant. You are so right accepting the new you stops holding you back and allows you to appreciate life. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Stroke post

Hi, I had my stroke in May 2019 at the age of 45……very nearly 46. I’ve been a member for a while but not posted. This thread made me want to and I recognise myself in you all. I am very much a get on with things person and don’t tend to dwell on it to too much but really miss the “old” me. Following my stroke I no longer have full use of my right side and yes I was right sided. I can walk but need a stick when out and I have learnt to write with my left hand and returned to work part time. I’ve accepted I’m unlikely to get full use of arm back but remain hopeful. After all that what really prompted me to post was the talk of FES, I’ve been lucky enough to get it funded and had it very early on. It’s amazing, last summer I walked 10k which would have been impossible without it. Definitely ask your doctor about it. I also attend a aqua class for people with limited mobility and would recommend that too. Thanks for listening

6 Likes

Hi Natalie @nataliemoxham thanks for your reply. I guess everyone is different in how long it takes to come to terms with what has happened.

I am quite surprised myself but also glad because I could have wasted a lot of time and energy being angry or upset about what happened but early acceptance enabled me to move on and start exploring how to make the best of this new situation.

You are absolutely right about having the support of your partner. My wife has been amazing! We all have our down days and she has helped me through these so much. It must be so much harder for those that are alone.

I’m sorry to hear you had to give up work but totally understand how fatigue can make it impossible. I have been working from home for the last couple of months just a few hours per day but I’m having some serious thoughts about whether I will be able to carry on as the fatigue really wipes me out some days. I love my job and would hate to have to quit yet but may have to explore the option of dropping to part-time. I have found returning to work has been brilliant for my self esteem as my brain still works well enough to perform pretty much as well as before and it gives me satisfaction that I can still add value. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I kind of still have a bit of the old me at work :grinning:.

I too used to enjoy cycling & have 2 bikes sitting idle so it’s great to hear you are back in the saddle.

Anyway I’ve rambled on long enough so thanks again for your nice reply.
Mark

3 Likes

Hi @DorisRose, thank you, I’m so pleased this thread prompted you to post!

Sorry to hear about your stroke, I’m so shocked to see as many younger people on here like you, Debbie @Vinylchick & Natalie @nataliemoxham (plus a few others judging by their posts). I thought I was quite young but this has been a real eye-opener.

It is amazing that you have recovered so well that you are able to complete a 10k walk! I will have to look into FES to see if it could help me. I did have a problem with foot drop at first but seem to have improved it by consciously trying to hold it up. The main problem I have is the lack of sensation in my foot and fingertips. I can manage around 2-3 miles without a stick now but it is tiring and going down steep hills is tricky.

Great to hear from you and keep up the good work.
Mark

3 Likes