Nerve Conduction Study Today

So today I had a Nerve Conduction Study at hospital done on both my stroke leg and my 'good' right leg.  Just to update, my stroke leg was doing great and I'd been back at the gym almost 12 months gradually building up strength and stamina bit by bit.  About 3/4 months ago, I was at the gym and doing my leg presses without any problems.  I did 5 sets of 20 reps on the lowest kg setting on the leg press. I then decided to finish off on the reclining cycle.  I did 3 circles of the pedals and felt something 'snap' in my right leg. I hopped off the bike and headed home. I applied ice etc and rested up for a couple of weeks but noticed that my right leg was going numb from the knee down. I attempted to go back to the gym but after 5 mins on the treadmill, I could feel the leg getting weaker and my foot was dragging on the belt. I stopped and came home and haven't been back since.  

After seeing my GP, he referred me for the Nerve Study.  I've had to wait 2 months for this despite being a priority Stroke patient. Whilst I've been waiting for this appointment I've been seeing a Chiropractor privately. He has eased the numbness and pain somewhat and has also got rid of a lot of stiffness in my back on the stroke side.  His diagnosis was I had trapped my sciatic nerve in 3 places.  

The test involved elecrodes all over both legs and then she inserted needles into my nerves/muscles.  After they'd scraped me off the ceiling in agony, they agreed there was substantial nerve damage in my right leg. I now have to wait for her report to arrive at my GP's to see what step 2 is.  One thing I am really happy about is the tests on my stroke leg were very good (in her words) so it just goes to show that time is a great healer.  Strangely enough, I've had so much going on with my good leg, I've forgotten all about my stroke leg!

My main reason for posting this is just to let people know that if you do overdo the exercise as I did, your body will bite back! I think sometimes we forget that we have lost much of our strength resistance and try to carry on regardless.  My Chiropractor has pretty much told me my gym days are over and to do gentle walking or try Tai Chi instead.  So I've cancelled my membership and I'll keep you posted as to what the next stage brings. Happy New Year to you all by the way! 

It sounds like all your good intentions have caused you a bit of a bother. I’ve heard that Tai Chi is very good for people who have mobility problems, it’s supposed to be sooo calming as well. You’ll have to let us know how you find it.

I’m still having a horrible tinnitus problem which I thought might be due to aspirin but appears not to be. It really gets me down at times. I’m seeing my GP next week so I’ll ask him what he thinks it’s due to.

Happy New Year to you.

Ann

I'll try and find a class near me.  Good luck at the GP next week.

Hi Brenda, 

Good to hear about the improvement you've achieved.  So sorry about the gym issue. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find a Tia Chi class. 

Happy New Year to you as well!

Kay 

Sorry your gym days are over. However Tai Chi, for me, has been enormously beneficial in steadying my wonky left arm and hand. I go to an exercise class for over 60s and Mark, our trainer, goes out of his way to think through exercises that promote strength and balance, but also strengthen muscles too. The oldest classmember is 90!

Please see this as another door opening and not just a door slamming shut. I was reflecting today that life consists of stages. Just as we passed from childhood to adolescence and adulthood and accepted the transition we must accept the move from being ‘in the swing of things’ to a quieter but still active lifestyle.

A Happy New Year to you!

Very frustrating when you've been trying so hard to do the right thing gggrrrr.  As well as Tai Chi, do you think swimming might work?  Quite gentle, whole body exercise?

Good luck, let us know how you're doing xx

Frustrating yeah but, on the bright side, I'm saving £20 a month in gym fees!  I can't swim as I have a morbid fear of swimming poolsblush.  When I was in junior school (60 odd years ago) their way of teaching you to swim was to line everyone up at the side and push you in at the deep end and see if you came up.  I was one of the few who didn't and I was fished out with a big hook on the end of a long stick by the evil swimming teacherdevil!  That fear has stayed with me all my life. I did try learning in my 30's but refused to take my feet off the bottom so it was a pointless exercise.  I don't like being too close to pools or even watch people swimming in them. On holiday I get the heebie jeebies when I have to walk past an empty floodlit pool.    When my daughter was 3, I took her for lessons and sat in the cafe watching her because I hate those horrid seats that feel like they're tipping you in the water!  I was determined that I wouldn't pass my fear onto her and she is a great swimmer just like her Dad. He has life saving certificates and has also tried to teach me in at Center Parcs but I liken my fear of pools to his morbid fear of spiders!  Strangely enough, the sea doesn't bother me at all.  I'm fine sailing and quite happy to look over the side at the sea and also love paddling in the sea. 

I'm just going to do gentle walking until I get the results and take it from there.

Thanks Jeff. I think they do a Tai Chi class at my local sports centre but not sure if it's for over 60's or not.  Once I get sorted, I'll do some looking around.

Thanks Kay!

That sounds awful, what stupidity, and the event has had an impact for the rest of your life.  That evil teacher has a lot to answer for.  Well, enjoy your extra cash, and hopefully walking will give you good results - there are definite benefits and some may surprise you!!

xx