My Stroke, Part 4

Hello everyone,

well I'm lying there thinking, I'm lucky to be alive, and yet more officials wanted all my details, Passport, Insurance and E1-11 number. I was in ITC and in no fit state to provide any of this information.Later on that second day I was taken by ambulance to another hospital ( yes, just as I was getting comfortable). Hospital number 2 was a private hospital, my own room with en- suite, air conditioning, colour TV, electric bed and umpteen sets of nursing staff at my command. Not bad, just over 1,000 Euros a night!  (Similar to the rate of a five star hotel!). As you can imagine, I'm getting worried by now, how much is all this going to cost me? After all, I don't want to add a heart attack to my stroke! After 4 days  in my own private room, being pampered to my every whim, I asked if I could be moved to an open ward? Anything to keep the costs down.It would also be better for me if I could mingle, I said to the nursing staff.I had visions of me being in an enormous ward with 8 or 9 others, but no, you are only sharing with 2 more,still with colour TVs, air con and en- suite bathroom and electric beds. Quite a snip at just over 500 Euros a night. I can remember saying to one nurse, " will I have to sell my house over in Blighty to pay my nursing  bill"." You English always worrying"she said with a smile. More next time.

Brugge

Hi Brugge  -  thought I'd lost you !!  I was looking forward to the next installment, but when I tried to find you I got properly lost crying.  It seems as though you had a very alternative tour of Brugges!!

We're hoping to visit Brugge in October - hopefully it will all be ok, with no hospitals involved xx

Thanks for sharing your story xx

Hi NicAbella21, Brugge isn't a bad place for sightseeing,I'd been there twice before without any problems . Guess you could say third time unlucky or lucky, compared to the NHS! I just thought I'd add a small bit of humour in a serious situation, Because basicly my life will never be the same again,doesn't mean I'm always going to be miserable.Thanks for your kind reply to my post, you're doing an excellent job as a carer, going by some of yours.

Brugge x

Hi Brugge - my husband and I suffer from a somewhat warped sense of humour, but I think in these serious situations it helps to relieve some of the tension.  Colin, on this site, recommends smiling and laughing every day, we try to do this.  Although some people may regard our sense of humour as rather irreverant, it's only ever aimed at ourselves, and is really a coping mechanism.  I really respond to the humour in your story, and your comments are absolutely spot on - we can still find something to smile about even though we've had many challenges thrown at us.  

Roll on part 5 laugh

xx